Bisbee to Cabo!

coppercity

Cheryl and I decided to fly our CT down to Cabo this week for our 20 year anniversery.  Great experience!  The CT never dissappoints, Bisbee to Cabo on a single tank of gas, 4.5hrs and 23 gals.  Still had an 1.5hr reserve! 

Baja Bush Pilots membership is the best way to go for filing all the paperwork, they make it so easy.  No issues at the Mexico airports, everyone has been very friendly and the FBO at Cabo San Lucas airport is fantastic!

Eric,

My wife visited La Paz in February. We like it more than Cabo. Its less touristy.

We made it down from LA in one day but that's more time sitting in the CT than my wife cares for. So on the way back we stopped to pet the whales at Bahia San Ignacio and stayed overnight stay at Bahia Los Angeles. There are so many nice places to visit in Baja, it's a almost a shame to overfly them.

Two weeks ago my brother and I flew down to Puerto Vallarta. At over 1,200 straight line miles, it's definitely 2 days each way, especially considering the time spent with paperwork in Mexico and the fact they don't allow night VFR. I need to find better places to stop along that route. It didn't seem as fun as Baja - more of a big city atmosphere.

I agree that Baja Bush Pilots is the way to go, not only for the easy eAPIS interface but also for critical airport information that just isn't available elsewhere.

Mike Koerner

Dang, I'm jealous.  Sure is a nice flight, huh?  Did you cross "at the islands"?  Loreto is a really nice place, too, and even closer.  We always look at each other half way through the flight and say "why don't we do this more often?"

Tim,

I'm not sure if the question is for Eric or me.

From L.A. I don't have to cross the Sea of Cortez at all. I pick a side and stay on it.

Coming out of Bisbee, it like looks like crossing along the north shore of Tiburon, as you mention, would make sense.

I've landed at Loreto too, but not Mulege. Did you land at Mulege on your whale trip?

In the future, I'm going to head for smaller airports after the airport of entry. It's so much easier than the procedures at the big airports.

Mike Koerner

Eric... you brave soul, especially flying alone.  I've opted for the "chicken route" when crossing, like Mike said, at the islands.  Exposure is less, 15 miles or so between islands, but realistically, you're screwed either way as the islands are mostly rock cliffs rising from the ocean.  Not much in the way of beaches.

I've landed at San Felipe, Alfonsinas, SanFrancisquito, Mulege, San Ignacio lagoon, Campo Renee, Loreto, puerto adolfo lopez mateos, and Rocky Point... and am in need of a Baja Beach fix something fierce!

Archived