Handling turbulence questions?

Buckaroo

Yesterday I got into some wild turbulence. I was bouncing around for about five minutes that seemed like an hour. Luckily at run up I had paid special attention in securing my harness as I could of been injured had it been loose. My reaction was to turn slowly out of it and try to remember and go for maneuvering speed. ????

What recommendations do members have concerning turbulence encounters besides avoid them?

We do get kicked around in these light airplanes, sometimes hard.

As Roger said, no magic I know of.  I wish I did!  The good thing to note is the CT is a very robust airframe and can handle it.  It's just a matter of comfort 99% of the time.  My rule of thumbs is that unless I'm taking a trip, I usually won't fly or will cut the flight short if it's so bumpy that it stops being fun to fly.  

During cruise, one thing that will make it a lot more comfortable is to slow down. Generally, if I encounter continuous moderate turbulence, I slow to no more than 90 kias. Besides comfort, it is easier on the airplane.

During cruise, one thing that will make it a lot more comfortable is to slow down. Generally, if I encounter continuous moderate turbulence, I slow to no more than 90 kias. Besides comfort, it is easier on the airplane.

Yes yesterday it felt like in order to reasonably continue I had to slow down. I think 90 indicted felt the best.

And avoid situations that put you at risk.  Down here in the SouthWest, we fly early, real early.  After the ground starts to warm up, it gets real bumpy.   A big dust devil can wreak havoc on a light plane.   Mechanical Turb is often avoidable by flying higher.

In some planes the ball can become a swift dancer during turbulance. I pesonally noticed that keeping the ball centered during turbulace was more challenging with the Coyote (from Rans) than with the CT for instance. The Zenair 601 (low wing) seems to auto-compensate. What's your experience and advice with the ball during turbulance, Gentlemen?

Someone here once advised that, in turbulence,

the autopilot set for zero vertical speed is better than

setting it at a specific cruise altitude.

That may help.

Also, the AIRMET forecast for turbulence, is a good

pre-flight step.

RH/135CT

My autopilot does as well or better than I do in turbulence.  I don't think it's hard on anything, just working as designed.  If it gets really rough (technically "moderate turbulence" I guess) I will hand fly, but for distance flying the AP is the way to go to keep from wearing YOU out.

Bill Ince and I traveled through a great swath of New Mexico and Arizona in the middle of the day on our way to Page two years ago, and it was bumpy as hell.  We used "Otto" the whole time and it was still uncomfortable, but we had time to look outside and keep an eye on instruments instead of just fighting to keep the shiny side up.  Otto will dead hold a course better than most people in turbulence too.  Better than me for sure.

My autopilot does as well or better than I do in turbulence. I don't think it's hard on anything, just working as designed. If it gets really rough (technically "moderate turbulence" I guess) I will hand fly, but for distance flying the AP is the way to go to keep from wearing YOU out.

Bill Ince and I traveled through a great swath of New Mexico and Arizona in the middle of the day on our way to Page two years ago, and it was bumpy as hell. We used "Otto" the whole time and it was still uncomfortable, but we had time to look outside and keep an eye on instruments instead of just fighting to keep the shiny side up. Otto will dead hold a course better than most people in turbulence too. Better than me for sure.

I'm glad I can hook that baby up and get my money's worth then. I can take a beating and just ride things out but when I think I'm damaging shit I get very equipment worried!

In severe turbulence, the best mode for the autopilot is to maintain wings level (no bank) and a level pitch attitude. IOW, just keep the aircraft upright. I would not advise coupling the autopilot to maintain an assigned altitude, airspeed or vertical speed. Otherwise, the autopilot will be "chasing" those assigments and that may induce even greater deviations which could compromise aircraft control.

During such a scenario, expect airspeed and altitude excursions. Accept them, but overide (disconnect and hand fly) to stay out of the clouds.The priority is to maintain aircraft control.

If the turbulence is severe enough, the autopilot may actually disconnect itself (I'm outta' here!), because it is overwhelmed with the demands and loads placed upon it. Again, if that occurs, accept it and just hand fly.

The few times I have been in strong moderate to occasional severe turbulence (unforecasted, of course), in my CT, I disconnected the autopilot and hand flew it. That minimizes the excursions and relieves the sress on the autopilot servos.

By all means, if the autopilot is available, then use it. But don't be surprised, if it disconnects, in those circumstances.

Oh, and by the way . . . . did I mention . . . slow down!????

In severe turbulence, the best mode for the autopilot is to maintain wings level (no bank) and a level pitch attitude. IOW, just keep the aircraft upright. I would not advise coupling the autopilot to maintain an assigned altitude, airspeed or vertical speed. Otherwise, the autopilot will be "chasing" those assigments and that may induce even greater deviations which could compromise aircraft control.

During such a scenario, expect airspeed and altitude excursions. Accept them, but overide (disconnect and hand fly) to stay out of the clouds.The priority is to maintain aircraft control.

If the turbulence is severe enough, the autopilot may actually disconnect itself (I'm outta' here!), because it is overwhelmed with the demands and loads placed upon it. Again, if that occurs, accept it and just hand fly.

The few times I have been in strong moderate to occasional severe turbulence (unforecasted, of course), in my CT, I disconnected the autopilot and hand flew it. That minimizes the excursions and relieves the sress on the autopilot servos.

By all means, if the autopilot is available, then use it. But don't be surprised, if it disconnects, in those circumstances.

Oh, and by the way . . . . did I mention . . . slow down!????

Thanks great advise! Using auto pilot would make me nervous! The big tip on my post is tighten your belts always as yesterday my severe encounter with turbulence could of been dangerous on the head vs the spare!

Thanks great advise! Using auto pilot would make me nervous! The big tip on my post is tighten your belts always as yesterday my severe encounter with turbulence could of been dangerous on the head vs the spare!

I can relate.

Since owning my CT, I have a funny little habit of yanking one more cinch, in my seat belt, before I take the active runway.

During its maiden voyage from San Jose to Tampa, my CT taught me that . . . the hard way. It was really turbulent transitioning through Tehachapi Pass. Ouch!

I have a spare in the car, but not in the CT. :D

Yesterday I got into some wild turbulence. I was bouncing around for about five minutes that seemed like an hour. Luckily at run up I had paid special attention in securing my harness as I could of been injured had it been loose. My reaction was to turn slowly out of it and try to remember and go for maneuvering speed.

What recommendations do members have concerning turbulence encounters besides avoid them?

Agree with everybody else, slow your airspeed and fly the plane. Hard to avoid in Florida if you are going somewhere at certain times of the year. I have aborted trips sometimes , because the passenger, (wife), gets anxious. I, personally, do not. My harness is always tight, you never know when or if you are going to get hit with "clear air turbulence".

Cheers

Agree with everybody else, slow your airspeed and fly the plane. Hard to avoid in Florida if you are going somewhere at certain times of the year. I have aborted trips sometimes , because the passenger, (wife), gets anxious. I, personally, do not. My harness is always tight, you never know when or if you are going to get hit with "clear air turbulence".

Cheers

The fastest way I could lose my flying partner, (wife), would be to take her up on a turbulent day! She'd never go again!

The fastest way I could lose my flying partner, (wife), would be to take her up on a turbulent day! She'd never go again!

I suspect, that happens to a lot of light sport families. I commend you. You are wise in your approach to that.

'just the opposite with me.... she doesn't mind turbulence, and would fly on days I'd rather not.  I especially hate the desert bumpies that Andy spoke about...  'no big deal for her.

'just the opposite with me.... she doesn't mind turbulence, and would fly on days I'd rather not.  I especially hate the desert bumpies that Andy spoke about...  'no big deal for her.

Yes , different people have different degrees of tolerance to turbulence. And, sometimes, here in Florida,it is hard to predict degree of turbulence, especially on clear days. Wife does Ok with light turbulence. However , when it gets heavy it is time to get down. Luckily she has never gotten to the point where she gets sick. I make sure of that.

Cheers

I can get motion sick fairly easily at times and has gotten better the older I got.. 

Best over the counter drug is Marezine. Comes in a box of 12 tabs. What causes motion sickness is the hair follicles in the middle ear become hyperactive. The Marezine desensitises these and then you don't get queasy, sick, headaches, ect... Some drugs like Dramamine only help a queasy stomach, but does not address the cause only one of the symptoms. 

Bonine is another drug like Marezine, but that one doesn't work for me. We are all just chemical plants and some things just work better than others.

You should not have any side effects from either. There is a warning about drowsy, but in all my years have never had a issue.

Archived