Tiny amount of oil weeping from right rear valve cover?

Buckaroo

I'm noticing a small amount of oil leaking between the upper and lower costs just as they join running tear towards the right door. Feeling under the right rear valve cover its damp. 

Is this an easy repair doing valve cover gaskets? 

Here's the thing about valve cover leaks or more specific oozes.

Once in awhile you can re-torque the valve cover screw (90 in/lbs) and to stop it, but that is more rare than you think. Once n a while you can change the two "O" rings, but that doesn't always work. It is very common for a valve cover to have an ooze. Enough to get on your finger, but not enough to drip. You can try to resurface the valve cover and it works occasionally and you can apply some Loctite 598 to the O"O /sealing surface. That works occasionally. The thing is many times it can't be stopped and it is what it is. I have dealt with quite a few of these and many aren't stoppable and more of a mental irritant than a real problem.

The area under the cowl top to bottom on the right side of the engine is totally dry and clean. The very lightly wet area is directly under the right rear valve cover. The largest indication of a leak is after one or two hours of flight right where the two cowls meet each other in the seam on the right side. It's just a touch of oil lightly streaming along. 

Thanks Roger! I'm really getting to know my CT and loving her more everyday! The fuel thing almost seems elementary now. I'm loving the fact I am learning to fly an airplane coordinated better every ride. 

I just wish I had you to work on her in my backyard! A great service center locally would make this experience tons more enjoyable!?

Archived