Lost bolt on wheel fairing question?

I went out to fly and during pre-flight noticed my right wheel cowl missing a nut. 

Question: the left bolt was loose as well. A washer on inside and one on outside does bolt require lock tight or lock washer? I'll try ace aircraft for another bolt and washer.

Once again thanks for any help!

IMG_4439.JPG

IMG_4440.JPG

That needs to be fixed. Someone let it get too lose and it sawed the hole bigger with the bolt threads. With a washer on the inside and out these should be nice and tight to keep the pant from moving and enlarging the hole.

The fix is very easy. 3-4 layers  of fiberglass on the inside and drill the hole for the bolt size. Ace will have the bolt.

4 hours ago, Buckaroo said:

I went out to fly and during pre-flight noticed my right wheel cowl missing a nut. 

Question: the left bolt was loose as well. A washer on inside and one on outside does bolt require lock tight or lock washer? I'll try ace aircraft for another bolt and washer.

Actually, it's supposed to be a cap screw (as pictured). That goes for all three fairings, at the axle.

2 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

That needs to be fixed. Someone let it get too lose and it sawed the hole bigger with the bolt threads. With a washer on the inside and out these should be nice and tight to keep the pant from moving and enlarging the hole.

The fix is very easy. 3-4 layers  of fiberglass on the inside and drill the hole for the bolt size. Ace will have the bolt.

The left hole in the glass has enlarged to about the size of a quarter. I'll have to put a larger washer on the inside to capture the cowl and not come through the hole. 

Tom how many steps are there for removing the wheel pant? I see the Phillips head screws on the top!  I'll fly without those and mix up a batch of fiberglass for the inside. 

It appears one of the prior owners pounded the gear some!?

22 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

Also if you are going to fly with the wheel fairings removed reinstall the screw that goes through the gear leg fairing. It is the only thing that keeps the fairing from sliding up and down the gear leg.

Good information thanks! 

I remember a YouTube video of Mr Cow just before takeoff having his shell pant roll 180 degrees down under the tire!?

Archived