Should I leave my Tanis preheater on year round?

Ed Cesnalis

Its that time of year. The last week I stopped plugging in my Tanis and I have seen my first 'hard starts' in 8 months, hmmmmmmm.

These hard starts aren't as hard as the old ones due to a soft start (one mag) start but the winter starts were all soft.

The start and stops on my 912 can't be good for it.  Leaving the Tanis plugged in 24/7 for most of the year works well, why shouldn't I keep doing it for the summer to get soft morning starts?

?

Its no longer going below freezing.  I'm not concerned about temp at this point I'm just asking if the preheat makes sense in the summer to avoid morning hard starts.

I do run a float charger and my battery is performing like new.  

Move to a warmer climate. :)

If your needle clips are not already in the #2 position to lean the carbs a tad I would do that. Starting will be easier if your idle rpm is around 1700 and you use full choke and crack the throttle on all first of the day starts. Remember no more long cranks and or kickbacks. Those don't turn out well.

thanks guys.

again, I'm not asking  because cold I'm asking because I got used to the soft starts for the last 8 months and now its back to loud bang or two as it starts up.

It mostly starts on the first blade, practically instantly and I do use full choke and cracked or closed throttle.

Starting is easy just not soft like winter.  Makes me think, what does the heater hurt?  Preventing morning hard starts seems a somewhat big benefit, just seems odd to leave it plugged in year round.

Archived