I've been asked for a race! I need advice!

Buckaroo

One of the boys from the airport coffee clack challenged me to a race tomorrow morning. His ride is a older Cessna 180 which is a all stock beautiful older tail dragger.

His challenge is to race me 25 miles at 5000 feet from one starting point to directly over our home airport for all the local flyers to witness still at 5k. 

Do I stand a chance and any tips would be appreciated!???

182 engine is generally 235hp, and a 182 is heavier than a 172 and can do 135kt pretty easily.  I can keep up with my friend's 182, when he uses a low to moderate cruise setting and I use a fast cruise setting.  I think you are in trouble.

Tell him you will do it, but only if he takes a two minute penalty for every gallon of fuel he burns more than you do.  He will be burning 10gph+, and you will win on the handicap. :D

50 minutes ago, Buckaroo said:

One of the boys from the airport coffee clack challenged me to a race tomorrow morning. His ride is a older Cessna 180 which is a all stock beautiful older tail dragger.

His challenge is to race me 25 miles at 5000 feet from one starting point to directly over our home airport for all the local flyers to witness still at 5k. 

Do I stand a chance and any tips would be appreciated!???

My tip is to cheat otherwise you should lose handily.

1 hour ago, FlyingMonkey said:

182 engine is generally 235hp, and a 182 is heavier than a 172 and can do 135kt pretty easily.  I can keep up with my friend's 182, when he uses a low to moderate cruise setting and I use a fast cruise setting.  I think you are in trouble.

Tell him you will do it, but only if he takes a two minute penalty for every gallon of fuel he burns more than you do.  He will be burning 10gph+, and you will win on the handicap. :D

I'll cheat as much as I can believe me!

Dive as you approach the airport until you are around Vne?

Change his transponder to 7500 just before take off?

Feed him Exlax Brownies before takeoff?

Find a faster plane (provided they didn't stipulate that you had to be in a CTsw or CTLS)?

The 182 is going to smoke you unfortunately. All the ability to convert to torque for the climb, then forward airspeed once level.

The 172, 160 hp models, will hit 130 knots indicated, but he'll be pushing it really hard.

If it's a 180 hp conversion, it will be a run at 130 knots for it.

When you all land and they are smug, tell them how much fuel you burned and how much it cost you for the fun race. Then let them pick their jaws up off the floor.

3 hours ago, Anticept said:

The 182 is going to smoke you unfortunately. All the ability to convert to torque for the climb, then forward airspeed once level.

The 172, 160 hp models, will hit 130 knots indicated, but he'll be pushing it really hard.

If it's a 180 hp conversion, it will be a run at 130 knots for it, but able.

When you all land and they are smug, tell them how much fuel you burned and how much it cost you for the fun race. Then let them pick their jaws up off the floor.

?

8 hours ago, sandpiper said:

I've owned 2 C-180's. The last one, a 1976, would true 133K at 65%. My 1955 was a little slower. All yer gonna see is his tail lights!!:fainting-1344:

I wonder if my mill could handle 6000 rpm for 10 minutes? ?   NOT!

Archived