Flying in the rain?

Buckaroo

I got into some fairly heavy rain the other day and have a question about water and fuel. Should I have any concerns of fuel entry into the vent tubes or fuel caps with normal operation? Are the air intakes to the engine in stock configuration water tight in heavy rain?

Thanks everyone!

Rain into a fuel vent isn't much of a concern because fuel off gases with a positive pressure and the internal shape of the tube isn't conducive for that and It especially isn't a concern with ethanol auto fuel.

What you should be more concerned about is the rain combined with the wind speed will chip the paint around the edges of your windshield and erode the leading edge of the prop.

Light drizzle doesn't seem to be an issue, but larger rain drops will chip paint around the wndshield.

When encountering rain, SLOW DOWN!  Erosion happens because of water hitting at high speed, so slowing the speed of the impacts is important.  Slowing to 80kt or less and 4500rpm or less should minimize the effects on both the windshield surround and the prop.  

A friend flew a Diamond DA-20 back from Texas and hit a torrential downpour.  He kept his speed up to minimize time in the rain, and when he landed the leading edge of his prop looked like a saw blade (wood composite prop).

My pilot and I were in a Tomcat on a cross-country from Houston to Montgomery, AL.  We had taken a southerly route to avoid heavy weather to the north; but as we hit Mobile, we flew into the goo at FL 350.  Still didn't think much of it until Center issued a weather warning and we realized we were right in the middle of it.  We plowed into heavy rain at 400 KTS, and it sounded like the forward windscreen had been hit with buckshot!  Scared the hell out of me for an instant it was so loud.  (The pilot didn't say anything and he was a lot closer to it.)  No damage to the windscreen (which was very thick plexiglass) but the rain chewed off the nose of a small protruding dome (about 6 inches in diameter) under the radome (nosecone). Luckily, the Air National Guard at Danelly had some guys who could patch us up so we could continue on our way; but the sound of heavy rain hitting at high velocity is something I will never forget.  

There was actually nothing in there at the time. I think the original intent was for an IR sensor, but I'd have to check.  By "LLTV", I think you're talking about what was eventually called TVSU (Television Sensor Unit, originally called TCS for Television Camera Set) which was an optical system that we could use to get visual i.d.'s at long rages.  It could be slaved to the radar or operate independently.

Archived