Need suggestions:moving ctsw into hangar with slight uphill

ls6pilot

I have just started flying out of a nice 2 runway grass strip 6J6 in SC. They have some antique t-hangars with dirt floors and carpet. I am renting one, not sure for how long.

Pushing plane out is fine but there is a little depression from rain in front of the hangar and slight upslope at entrance making it  very difficult to push back in by myself. 

Solutions: I can do some grading and try to level entrance. 

I could pay for concrete pad and ramp:(

I could try to fashion 3 flat ramps out of metal or something

? Manager said some people use a small winch. (not sure if this is doable)  If one were to consider this and have to move the plane in backwards where would one attach to plane. around main gear? other 

I could drive 45 minutes instead of 20 and rent a hangar with concrete. 

Appreciate any thoughts.

Rich

how and where are you pushing?.  I push on the aft side of the left door frame, door open with my right hand.  my left hand goes on the rudder pedal to steer.  I can do this with low effort and good speed.  If you can too this method with getting up some speed before you hit the dip and the grade may work ok.

Caution if it backfires from trying it too slow the worst that would happen is the mains would stop in the depression and then the tail-fin would strike.  This can happen to me pushing over a snow or ice berm.

A picture might be helpful to see what a "slight incline" might be.  But it also sounds like you're pushing while the tires are on gravel.  If so, can you get some planks of plywood to ride over the "slight incline" and perhaps the combination of a smoother surface and some momentum might allow you to get the plane back into the hangar?

I use Ed's method to push my CT backwards into my hangar. This works well.  if your depression causes the plane to go overcenter and strike the tail, I would get a yard or so of 1/2" limestone and fill and grade the depressions.  As for a winch, my neighbor at the airport bought a light weight winch from Harbor Freight.  He made an anchor in the back of his hangar and runs a long control switch which he can use while standing at his Piper Warrior.  To connect to your CT, you should have the strap that is used to hold the tail down.  Use this to connect the winch to your CT.  It should allow you to pull the plane without any damage. If you don't have the strap, it is easy to make one from the material from a ratcheting strap.

49 minutes ago, Tip said:

A quick fix. Use 2X2 or 2X3 patio blocks as pavers.

I lined most of my old hanger with used cement pavers.  Worked very well and I was able to add to them as I acquired more over time.

17 hours ago, ausctls said:

Whilst not recommended, I have observed a few pilots just carefully taxi/fly it in..

I was going to say that would be against the law but I guess everyone knows so I won't. Just select the prop to beta and back her in.

1 hour ago, ct9000 said:

I was going to say that would be against the law but I guess everyone knows so I won't. Just select the prop to beta and back her in.

I think I will give that a try. 

I did some leveling today and it went better. Had to get up a little speed and dont want to crash the wings into the t hangar so I got these to stop me.

https://www.trafficsafetystore.com/parking-blocks/garage-parking-aid#PBRR2YN

Archived