Used Canyon Exit Maneuver today

Ed Cesnalis

5963b305af7b5_LyellMcClure.thumb.jpg.cea0133431079756af597957adadd1a9.jpg

Mt McClure in Yosemite.  

I learned canyon exit maneuvers back in the 1990s but only used them in practice until today.  After the above shot I felt at risk, speed was decaying and I was entering a tight box. Nothing bad was going to happen I just was not willing to cross the ridge without any options to counter a big increase in sink at the last second.

So my subconscious mind made the decisions.

Split S or wing over were out with decaying speed so a tight left turn.  I did a very steep descending slip and only used 1/3 of the room that I had.

I always keep my speed at 95kts IAS when shooting so I have lots of energy to work with but in this case the speed decayed without me pulling back it seemed.  I guess I let the sight picture motivate me to pull back  subconsciously.

I find it interesting to relive and review what I did, how and why.

16 hours ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

The name is Immelmann, color me confused on the name not the maneuver.

It doesn't have to be high g or negative g or pretty.

That makes sense.  At the high altitudes you fly at, where you are already running at WOT in cruise, do you think you'd have enough energy to get to the top of that maneuver?  You'd hate to try it and then find yourself pointing straight down back into the box canyon you were trying to escape!  :o 

that's why I work at 95kts IAS.  that's plenty to get me pointed skyward and switch ends even if it isn't pretty.

We tend to think we have to exit our canyon exit maneuvers at a the same or higher altitude and on a reciprocal heading but look at the photo above.  The ridge at lower left was my boundary and all I have to do on my exit is not hit it.  I can do a 180 and return to where I am or less and end up descending into the next canyon over, it all works.

Archived