Garmin/Trutrak digiflight IIvs question/problem

ls6pilot

My trutrak autopilot worked well. However, it was intermittently losing the gps track. Now it has totally lost the gps track. It works well for altitude hold and hdg but does not appear to be getting track info from the 296 . I put a friends 496 in and still no good. The settings are for nmea 4800 out from gps. 

Lucas from trutrak had suggested I try another x96. I am sure he will help me more  but I wanted to post question here. Any ideas about isolating the problem? I plan to check continuity out between the gps out and the 17 pin in to the trutrak when next at the plane. 

Is there any way to know if the gps is outputting the data? Any other ideas on the troubleshoot before I hear back from Lucas?

I keep posting minor problems and questions but the plane is flying well and I am getting  better and having fun. :D

By the way thanks to Tom and Roger I replaced my frayed throttle cable (It was indeed simple), synced the carbs and reduced my idle to 1800. I like the landings much better at that idle.

Thanks, 

Rich

Rich, I have the same problem (occasional loss of GPS signal into the TT AP).  Tried another 396, no better. Mine has occurred only intermittently, and it has not gotten any worse over time, so I haven't messed with it.  If you find tow fault, please let us know!  Thanks, Fred.  

I have installed a Vizion and started having the same problem. Hmm...I am seeing a bit theme here. It will hold track do an hour and then start to wander off and eventually say it no longer has gps. I am using the signal from Dynon's 2020 GPS antenna/receiver through Skyview.

Are you using the Garmin "puck" antenna?  Check the connections and wiring to the antenna if yes.  If no, you might need to get the puck to get a better GPS signal.  If it's not the antenna, I'm with Tim, there is a loose wire or pin somewhere in your NMEA connection.

First update report:

Pulled the panel and checked continuity between data out on Garmin and data in (pin 17) on trutrak. It was good.

Next step used reference : http://trutrakap.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/DigiflightIIInstalManual1.pdf 

Made sure garmin was nmea out baud 4800. Stumbled through menu on autopilot and found it was set on 9600. Trutrak appears to be receiving now as HDG has flashing plus sign. Unable to check in the air today but will post after.

Rich

The baud rates must match. I thought we used 9600, but I could be mistaken. It's been a long time since I set one up. You also need to make sure your control head like an HS34 or the newer models have had their updates. Many didn't know that HS34 needed to be updated with the same software version as the D100-120's. Conflicting software will cause issues.

Rich, my Garmin 495 is set to 9600 baud to communicate with my TruTrak DigiFlight II.  I set this up a long time ago with Lucas' help and believe 9600 should be the proper setting for this.  I'm not clear if you responded to Andy's questions about your Garmin antenna?  You might have a loose / broken antenna wire connection, or, if you don't have an external antenna, you may have poor satellite reception?

Archived