Fuel Trailer

CTMI

Just built this fuel trailer. I had a lot of fun building it and thought I'd build another if someone wants to buy this one. I've put about 50 gallons through it for testing. It's ready to go. 

Here's the highlights: 

aluminum DOT certified tank, 50 gallons

fully enclosed battery, handle, fuel filters and hose for clean look.

rear compartment has gas spring assist, rubber gaskets where lines come though and a three point latch system for a watertight and nearly airtight seal.

all diamond plate body

Retracting grounding cable

20 feet hose

automatic nozzle

voltmeter

30amp breaker and switch 

built in charger 

group 27 battery (good for 2600 gallons of pumped fuel per charge) 

GPI 15 GPM pump with 1 year replacement warranty redeemable at any tractor supply, that's on top of manufacturer's warranty.

dual dual goldenrod fuel filters, one is water block one is for particulates to 10 microns

brand new trailer

front wheel for easy moving 

$2800, will deliver or make arrangements for delivery for fee, trailer is in Michigan. 

PM if interested.

no more cans. 

IMG_0139.JPG

IMG_0142.PNG

IMG_0141.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

I know building mine was a lot of fun...  For those DIY guys, here is a previous thread to my component list:

Mine is a couple years old now and still works like a champ!  If you are not a DIY guy - buying one like that being offered by CTMI at $2800 is not a huge premium given the cost of components and the time involved to get it built.

post-124-0-90395400-1470706521.jpg

Andy,

Where did you get your hazardous placard/decal?  I built a fuel trailer last winter and would like to put a placard on it.  It appears I have the same tank as you.  I have already had one fuel station operator come out and inspect mine while filling; glad I bought a DOT certified tank!  Both of these trailers are outstanding and look a bit nicer than mine.  Are you using a "dip stick" for checking fuel level?  I bought a nice 36" aluminum one and it works great.

Todd

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2017 at 4:49 AM, tespn said:

Andy,

Where did you get your hazardous placard/decal?  I built a fuel trailer last winter and would like to put a placard on it.  It appears I have the same tank as you.  I have already had one fuel station operator come out and inspect mine while filling; glad I bought a DOT certified tank!  Both of these trailers are outstanding and look a bit nicer than mine.  Are you using a "dip stick" for checking fuel level?  I bought a nice 36" aluminum one and it works great.

Todd

I apologize for my delayed response.  Placards are of course not required below 110 gallons by the DOT, but like you, I thought they looked cool and "official".  For me it was mostly to make the trailer look that much less home built for fire inspectors.  I wanted to store mine in my hangar and had to get a fire permit from the city.  I bought mine on ebay.  If you type in "DOT 3 Placard" in a search window you'll find a zillion of them.  I'm not remembering which dealer was chosen, my criteria was to find a thicker plastic / vinyl one versus either metal or sticker.  I used the gray colored 3m double stick tape made for outdoors heavy duty to attach. 

On 7/26/2017 at 4:49 AM, tespn said:

Andy,

Are you using a "dip stick" for checking fuel level?  I bought a nice 36" aluminum one and it works great.

Todd

I am not allowed to store the trailer in my hangar with more than 3 gallons of residual fuel in it (city fire inspector thing).  As a result, when I need fuel, I run to the gas station on the corner and put in about 2 or 3 gallons more than I need (so I monitor the station gas pump to see what I'm putting in).  After topping off my plane I just pump residual into my tow vehicle so I stay compliant with the city.  For that reason I have never needed a dipstick.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

50 gallons ain't enough guys, I get tired of running to the station to fill my 100 gallon tank. If it wasn't for the Regs I would have a bigger tank. Those are some sweet ass trailers you guys put together though. I wonder if you had a regular tank like they make for pickup boxes if the city would have any authority on you having gas in that tank and the truck parked in your hanger overnite " occasionally" ? Tons of folks pull their car or truck in the T hanger when they leave for the day or week with their plane. Never heard of anybody complaining about that. 

Archived