Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WmInce

Upgraded RV-12 Kit

9 posts in this topic

Looks like the new RV-12 kit will include the Rorax 912is, a new fuel tank, better/lighter battery and electric flaps.

From what I understand, Van's is not planning on a retrofit for airplanes under current construction or already flying.

Bill, do you have a link for these changes?

I hope Van's went to a one-piece fuel cell, either welded aluminum or rotomolded polyethylene.  The riveted and Prosealed fuel tank design on the RV-12 is frankly not great.  If I were building one I'd replace the factory tank with a 20 gallon racing fuel cell as soon as the airplane was signed off as E-LSA.  

No details yet, only vague comments from the Van's forum. Rumor has it there will be an announcement forthcoming from Air Venture - Oshkosh.

I love having 33 gallons usable fuel now . . . but I think Van's should boost the tank capacity to 25 gallons in the RV-12.

JMO.

I recently saw a RV12 with wing tanks. The owner/builder went off on his own to get the gas tank out of the cabin.

Some nice improvements, but the new tank looks like it's still riveted together.

Very nice improvements!  Looking like a very nice "gen 2" indeed.  Pretty sure the RV12 (SLSA/ELSA) is the best selling LSA in the USA now (since FD production fell off with the bankruptcy)???

I've experienced zero problems with my RV-12 fuel tank.

One issue with fueling has been to exposure to fuel hitting the  rear canopy cover which causes cracking. Vans has replaced this part with Perspex.

The new RV-12 SI has a new fuselage fueling port location. Slightly lower and further forward which still allows simple mogas fueling from gas cans which is great. The new plane has a see through tube which helps to check when tank is full as well as the Moeller gauge, in addition to the SkyView gauge.

New tank is re shaped to run across baggage area to allow greater ease of access. Baggage allowance increased from 50 lbs to 75. Useable fuel on new tank is 2 gals and capacity increased to 20.2 from 19.8. Old tank has a caution when below 4 gals in case of steep climbs or a go around.

Personally I'd prefer the option to have a 25 gallon tank which could be done using the baggage allowance increase. The iS Sport engine runs about 1 gph better than my ULS so the slight tank capacity increase does give the plane greater range but I still think at least 25 gals would be better. IMHO

On 7/18/2017 at 5:05 PM, Tip said:

I recently saw a RV12 with wing tanks. The owner/builder went off on his own to get the gas tank out of the cabin.

I'd like the option on the RV-12 SLSA to have fixed wings and wing tanks 12.5 a side  or maybe 15.

That said I've never taken the wings off mine other than inspection. The Rans Venterra is similar to RV-12 and has two 12 plastic wing tanks and I think (?) 2 gals unusable per side which means same useable fuel as RV-12 so not a whole lot of difference in the end.