Quick drain questions?

Buckaroo

My fellow Rans 7 owner friend with a Rotax 912 swears by the use of quick drains. He says they are easier on the equipment like the oil drain plug and under the gasolator. He says they also save on the need for safety wire. 

Is the use of these recommended and if so what part numbers and sources would be helpful? 

Thanks 

Buckaroo 

Just as another data point, there has been a quick drain on my airplane since I bought it, and I really like it.  I did have a very slight oil leak from it early on, but that was due to a failed crush washer and not the drain itself.  replaced it and all has been good for three years.  It seems to drain fine, I pop the quick drain first thing when starting an oil change and by the time I have done everything else like the filter and mag plug, it's ready to be refilled.  The flow rate out of the tank is probably less than using the regular drain plug, but it seems to drain completely  and when I have popped open the oil tank there has been nothing left in the bottom.

That said, it's probably not legal for an S-LSA to install without an LOA/MRA, but I left mine alone since it came that way from the previous owner.  I'm legal now since my airplane changed to E-LSA.  If you do elect to install one, get a real aviation one from Aircraft Spruce and not a cheapo from Jegs or somewhere similar.

Archived