Skyview Locked Configuration

Adam

There seems to be confusion about the subject of whether a Dynon Skyview is "Locked" or "Unlocked".   There are 2 separate issues at play here.  Just because you can load the latest revision of software (15.2) that doesn't mean your Skyview is "Unlocked".  What it does mean is you can load the latest software.  Even with 15.2 software loaded, your screen configurations are still limited. 

In example - a generic Skyview can display the PFD, EMS or Map page in full screen, 1/2 screen or 1/3 screen.  It doesn't matter whether you have a single or dual display.  You can also specify where they display (left or right).  If you want to see a full map on a display you can punch it up.  Want to move something on the right half or left half of a screen, you can move it.  On a Flight Design you cannot use a full screen Map anywhere!  I personally find this somewhat limiting and as such, I don't really use the Dynon map and instead rely solely on the Garmin 796.  As has been noted in previous strings, the screen combinations and placements are limited.

I am not a software engineer, nor do I play one on tv, and so I will let one of you "experts" opine, but my working theory is this -

The software screen configuration lock must be resident in firmware that is NOT upgraded with the standard software updates issued by Dynon.  No matter what software rev is loaded, my screens still say "Flight Design" during boot up.  Since everyone downloads the same updates, this means the book sequence software must be stored in a different place from the operating software. 

I thought I'd start a new string on this subject because I can tell that some people equate running the current rev as being "unlocked".   As long as we can't decide what we want displayed and where it is displayed - Still LOCKED in my book.

**My dream for FD** - Give me 2 unlocked Skyview Screens - and throw the Garmin 796 in the river.  With free updates from Dynon, why pay for Garmin updates?  We would save a few pounds, have a much cleaner panel and all of us could share the cost savings of buying a 796.  As an alternate, I'd accept a third (smaller) Dynon Screen in the center so I could have a permanent dedicated full screen map.  While you are at it, please ditch the Garmin com, PS intercom, and just add the Dynon com panel that does both.   The NEXT CTLSi should be 100% Dynon or 100% G3X

While I'm dreaming of the next CTLSi - Can I please also have air conditioning (without any weight gain?)  No matter what causes Global Warming - its getting pretty freaking hot out west lately! 

1 hour ago, Adam said:

While I'm dreaming of the next CTLSi - Can I please also have air conditioning (without any weight gain?)  No matter what causes Global Warming - its getting pretty freaking hot out west lately! 

Ooooh, try flying with a bubble canopy!  :P

Sorry, can't have something for nothing (I.e. You're going to add 28 pounds) but B-Kool has the ice chest based cooler.  I spoke with the owner and I'm going to buy one from him as soon as my aircraft is at KFUL.  I could make my own, but it sounds like he optimized components fairly well for efficiency.

3 hours ago, rtk said:

Ooooh, try flying with a bubble canopy!  :P

Sorry, can't have something for nothing (I.e. You're going to add 28 pounds) but B-Kool has the ice chest based cooler.  I spoke with the owner and I'm going to buy one from him as soon as my aircraft is at KFUL.  I could make my own, but it sounds like he optimized components fairly well for efficiency.

I have been considering one! My right seat is open quite a bit.  A nice ice chest cooler fan would be a potential for me!  Let me know how you like it.  They should make a mini LSA version.

11 hours ago, Adam said:

**My dream for FD** - Give me 2 unlocked Skyview Screens - and throw the Garmin 796 in the river.  With free updates from Dynon, why pay for Garmin updates?  We would save a few pounds, have a much cleaner panel and all of us could share the cost savings of buying a 796.  As an alternate, I'd accept a third (smaller) Dynon Screen in the center so I could have a permanent dedicated full screen map.  While you are at it, please ditch the Garmin com, PS intercom, and just add the Dynon com panel that does both.   The NEXT CTLSi should be 100% Dynon or 100% G3X

Interesting.

On 8/12/2017 at 9:18 AM, Adam said:

Yes you can have AC.  No, you can't have it with no weight penalty. :(

When flying solo you could carry a small "swamp cooler" type chiller in the passenger seat or on the hat rack.  I know an RV-12 driver that did that and loves it.

3 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

Airtime was working with someone on a AC for the CT, but alas it comes with a weight penalty.

I remember seeing that, I think it was 35-50lb and took up one side of the baggage bay.  Quite a penalty.  

The easiest solution is probably just to get off the ground ASAP and climb as high as you can!  Oh, and taxi with the doors open.

Archived