Generators not charging

lvpazik

Sat on ramp here in Vegas too long the other day waiting for departing/arriving traffic. Coolant got into the red range while oil was in mid-yellow range.  Taxied back and shut her down and called it a day.  Today, went back to check on airplane.  Coolant bottle empty. Started airplane, ran up to green arc for oil.  Coolant stayed in green.  Did the R/L lane check, which was successful. My concern is, from a charging perspective, the  left lane shows 12.5 and right shows -9.5. Pulled the generator breaker and noticed no difference in charging indication.  Any ideas/comments from the forum?  I am concerned this was a side effect of the engine overheating while I was sitting on the ramp too long waiting to rotate out.  While I was taxing back the Lane B light kept flashing.....

Flight design distributor.

the breakers are only 30 with shipping, but be sure your breaker is actually failed. With the panel removed, run the airplane at 3500 RPM. Place a voltmeter across the two terminals and the breaker on. If you read anything more than a fraction of a volt, the breaker is failed.

Also, touch each terminal and bridge to ground. You shouldn't read more than a volt, two in an extreme case.

I don't have wiring diagrams for the CTLSi, so I do not know if the engine has to be running, but this makes sure based are covered.

What I meant to post above...

You can induce a Lane failure by performing the Lane checks incorrectly.  If you attempt to do lane checks as if doing "mag" checks then the ECU for that lane may not reboot.  The proper technique is described in this Service Notification.

SN-ASTM-CTLS-04_ctlsi_engine starting info.pdf

Archived