Wing support points

cgrbu

I believe I have understood that the wing has inner spars in the area of the tie down bolts that extrude from the bottom of the wing and this area is where you could support the wing at the time of removal (especially when you are removing the opposite wing). With gas tanks empty, is there an approx weight known for the wing?... 100lbs?. I may be looking at wing removal locally to inspect spars and replace fuel tank feed hoses... had wanted to take to Arian in CT but timing, operations and distance a factor...

under port wing.jpg

I normally use a pair of step ladders with 2 foot by 2 foot piece of pink or white insulating foam on top. One for each side, with the top rung perpendicular to the wing. Both wings need to be supported when you pull the pins. I start with them under the spars, but when you slide the wing out the ladder needs to be moved a little aft because of balance.

We use a couple of adjustable wooden props to hold the weight under the tie down points. the wings are not that heavy but are a bit awkward. When refitting it is easy with one person at each wing and one inside to fit the pins, (large bolts).You can do the job with only two people but it is really easy with three. 

9 hours ago, coppercity said:

Cushioned step ladders work well as Tom indicated.  Tape the Aileron and flap together so the flap doesn't drop as it is released from its pin as the wing slides out if you only have two people.

Rather than taping together I tape to the wing. One piece on the aileron and 2 on the flaps. This holds both in the up position when the wing is slid out. It also make reinstallation easier. When reconnecting the ailerons you can move the control stick and reconnect the aileron. Once one side is connected remove the tape from that aileron, and connect the other aileron.

many thanks for everyone's suggestions and today I started to plan the operation. In approaching the step of taping, I placed the flaps to -12 degrees (allowed in Canada) and there was excellent alignment to my port aileron (neutral position) but a remarkable difference in the starboard aileron position...see pictures. The actual difference of the two in degrees from level is 4. I am not sure if this is giving me large trimming issues which is causing me to burn more fuel from the starboard tank. IE... the starboard aileron is up encouraging a right turn, to stop I feed in left rudder trim... fuel follows the ball... thus a lot of fuel may travel to port tank always making it seem that burn comes out of starboard tank... I do find trim on the CT hard for me to discern correctly..I am learning slowly... any ideas? thanks ..

Flap -12 port side.jpg

Flap -12 strbrd side.jpg

9 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

Rather than taping together I tape to the wing. One piece on the aileron and 2 on the flaps. This holds both in the up position when the wing is slid out. It also make reinstallation easier. When reconnecting the ailerons you can move the control stick and reconnect the aileron. Once one side is connected remove the tape from that aileron, and connect the other aileron.

Even better! Thanks Tom.

5 hours ago, cgrbu said:

many thanks for everyone's suggestions and today I started to plan the operation. In approaching the step of taping, I placed the flaps to -12 degrees (allowed in Canada) and there was excellent alignment to my port aileron (neutral position) but a remarkable difference in the starboard aileron position...see pictures. The actual difference of the two in degrees from level is 4. I am not sure if this is giving me large trimming issues which is causing me to burn more fuel from the starboard tank. IE... the starboard aileron is up encouraging a right turn, to stop I feed in left rudder trim... fuel follows the ball... thus a lot of fuel may travel to port tank always making it seem that burn comes out of starboard tank... I do find trim on the CT hard for me to discern correctly..I am learning slowly... any ideas? thanks ..

Check that aileron trim is in neutral position.

Archived