Bringing an old plane back to life.

coppercity

Eric

The Skymaster is my favorite airplane of all time. I had a 337G  here in Hawaii and flew and her inter island for nearly 20 years.   I always flew it single pilot and mostly only myself so it was a real performing aircraft.  N1310L is still flying part 135.  I really like your paint job with those colors.   You're going to have fun .  

Farmer

23 minutes ago, Anticept said:

You must be a sadist to work on a skymaster!

Well, I wanted experience to work towards my A&P ?.  Lucky for me the previous owner did a lot of the hard stuff,  and I had lots of help with getting it ready to fly again! 

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:34 AM, JLang said:

Nice!  I have always liked those.  Having never flown in one, what are your impressions?

It is a very stable platform and an easy twin to fly.  It feels much like the larger single engine Cessna's (206, 210), heavy but stable.  Not fast for a twin but is comfortable and can haul a heavy load.

On 8/22/2017 at 2:07 PM, coppercity said:

Well, I wanted experience to work towards my A&P ?.  Lucky for me the previous owner did a lot of the hard stuff,  and I had lots of help with getting it ready to fly again! 

You'll get a lot of it. Pilots love them, but mechanics hate them. It's an amalgam of goofy design decisions, making it difficult to maintain. Even an oil change takes twice as long due to the cowling design.

Good luck and sweet job!

• 2 weeks later...

So is their a 'critical' engine with the Skymaster? As in what's the procedure if you lose the front engine? Or the rear engine?

In the third picture (right side profile) is that a FLight Design MC in the background on the right side?

Congrats on your project! I've always been intrigued by the Skymaster.

56 minutes ago, Top Cat said:

So is their a 'critical' engine with the Skymaster? As in what's the procedure if you lose the front engine? Or the rear engine?

In the third picture (right side profile) is that a FLight Design MC in the background on the right side?

Congrats on your project! I've always been intrigued by the Skymaster.

The rear engine creates a little more thrust then the forward so I would consider the aft more critical, though not in the asymmetrical sense just performance.  There is a placard that states, "dont attempt takeoff with the aft engine failed".  Apparently it was not uncommon early on for the aft engine to quit during taxi or after runup then go unnoticed during initial takeoff, its hard to hear and see it being in the back, so its a good practice to lead the takeoff with the aft engine.

Failed engine procedure is similar to most light twins but the "dead foot, dead engine " technique does not exist in this one.

Yes, that is an MC in the background and its for sale if you're interested ?

On 8/26/2017 at 0:03 PM, Anticept said:

You'll get a lot of it. Pilots love them, but mechanics hate them. It's an amalgam of goofy design decisions, making it difficult to maintain. Even an oil change takes twice as long due to the cowling design.

Good luck and sweet job!

Did my first oil change this weekend with everything together under the cowlings, and yep, it is not the easiest to do.  Especially frustrating on the aft when the quick drain valve needed a new oring after changing the oil ? tight fit around that muffler!

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful job...   Reminds me of a classic Stephen King thriller (book made into movie) called "Night Flier".   A vampire that flew from town to town in his blacked out Skymaster searching for his next victim.   (At least he was an accomplished pilot) haha!

3 hours ago, Adam said:

Beautiful job...   Reminds me of a classic Stephen King thriller (book made into movie) called "Night Flier".   A vampire that flew from town to town in his blacked out Skymaster searching for his next victim.   (At least he was an accomplished pilot) haha!

I had to look that one up ?, full movie available on youtube.  Yep, sure enough, a "murdered" out Skymaster!  

On 9/5/2017 at 7:09 PM, coppercity said:

The rear engine creates a little more thrust then the forward so I would consider the aft more critical, though not in the asymmetrical sense just performance.

That's interesting to me, I would have thought it would be the other way around, since part of the rear prop disk is masked by the structure in front of it.  Just does to show I'm not an aerodynamicist!

I too think the Skymaster is an awesome airplane.  

Archived