Portable GPS

CT2K

Was browsing the GPS conversations and noticed they go back to some time ago, reason why I am seekng advice on a portable GPS nowadays.

I am considering installation of one of the following which seem to be quite close to each other in terms of price:

-Garmin 795

-Garmin 695

-Avmap EKP V

What would the CT community out there recommed? What is the major benefit of the 3D functionality of the 795? Will it replace an artificial horizon for instance? Seen pictures of the Avmap showing a moving map and other pictures showing artificial horizon, does the Avmap do both? And can it do them on the same screen or do you have to juggle between various functionalities? Any thoughts on reliability and ease of use?

Many thanks in advance

I agree that a tablet (my preference is iPad) is about the best value and utility out there now.  They do a lot more than most aviation GPS do.  The only reason I use my 496 is to drive my autopilot, and as backup to the iPad.

when I replace my 496, I will probably install a Garmin Aera 660.  The Airgizmo dock is a drop in replacement for the 496 dock.  The 696 and 796 have bigger screens and some nice features, but a tablet solves the big screen issue, and the 660 has most of the features other than synthetic vision (again, available on tablets).

BTW, Airgizmo makes docks for iPads and other tablets if you want it mounted in the panel.

1 hour ago, CT2K said:

Many thanks to all for sharing your thoughts and experiences on this GPS topic.

I do have an iPad with Air Nav Pro app installed. Any other apps worth your recommendation?

Foreflight, WingX, and Garmin Pilot seem to be the most popular.  Personally love Garmin Pilot, but they are all good and it's just personal preference.

I really have come to love the logbook feature of Pilot; it is super accurate and starts/stops timing every flight at 40kt (speed can be set by user).  Records number of landings, day/night flight, and gives reports on hours and distance flown for various time periods.  I have not had to fill out a paper logbook entry in over a year.

35 minutes ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

I like Garmin Pilot too but I guess there is a question about it displaying inexpensive ADSB-in  traffic/weather.

I think there logbook is awesome as well but their support sucks.  My tablet stopped uploaded my log book to the web and Garmin support doesn't respond.

I have not needed support so I don't know about that.

You are right about ADS-B...if you want it on the tablet, you are kind of locked into the Garmin ecosystem of GDL-39, GTX345, and similar (pricey) products.  I keep hoping that will change, but I'm not holding my breath.  IMO GP is a superior product, but their market share is hindered by Garmin's insistence on proprietary solutions.

3 minutes ago, FlyingMonkey said:

I have not needed support so I don't know about that.

You are right about ADS-B...if you want it on the tablet, you are kind of locked into the Garmin ecosystem of GDL-39, GTX345, and similar (pricey) products.  I keep hoping that will change, but I'm not holding my breath.  IMO GP is a superior product, but their market share is hindered by Garmin's insistence on proprietary solutions.

Cheap ADSB-in will dictate for me.

Garmin may be choosing to eventually get shut out of the market.  There's too many excellent GPS's and flight programs coming that communicate with most iOS and Android devices.  The UAvionics is a strong contender.  Right now, this communicates with virtually all BUT Garmin.

https://www.uavionix.com/products/echo-uat/

42 minutes ago, Runtoeat said:

Garmin may be choosing to eventually get shut out of the market.  There's too many excellent GPS's and flight programs coming that communicate with most iOS and Android devices.  The UAvionics is a strong contender.  Right now, this communicates with virtually all BUT Garmin.

At the moment its the UAvionics / Garmin lack of communications that has me waiting.

1 hour ago, Runtoeat said:

Not exactly true.  With a GDL-39 for IN data, it works fine.  IIRC to use Foreflight with uAvionix you have to have a Stratus for IN traffic.  If that's true it's the same deal as with Garmin.

I'm guessing if the market starts shutting Garmin out, they will change their stance.  They are good at giving customers what they want, just not always cheaply.

5 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

Does anyone know if the apps that are in favor here in the states work well in Europe?

Tried Air Nav Pro in Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Austria, Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium, England, and of course France where I stay and it worked fine all the way. The only thing is that you will have to pay almost every single option because the price you pay for the app is only the right to use it without ads, but For maps, databases, flight plans, 3D or anything, you will have to pay for each and everything. Also, they won't care should you need support and won't reply to your emails nor will they answer your questions. That is my experience with Air Nav Pro. I don't know the other ones.

Andy, thank you for correcting my mistake.  Well, OK, I guess one can get  the "old" SkyGuard TWX like I have and use iFly's software to get ADS-B in/out (with dual "in" freq's).  The SkyGuard now costs about $1,500 ($1,900 with AHRS) and the iFly software is about $70/year.  This will provide connection to most iOS and Android including popular flight programs.  The iFly GPS and the SkyGuard connect wirelessly thru WiFi.  The SkyGuard monitors and transmits squawk from my transponder wirelessly.  Both companies are very friendly, proactive and are available when help is needed.  I think there is a connection between uAvionics and Adventure Pilot (iFly) but not sure.  I see one name I am familiar with in dealing with Adventure Pilot that has been mentioned on uAvionics.  Although uAvionics does not presently offer ADS-B "in", it will be just a short time before either they, or some other guy, does.  I do like Garmin equipment but I doubt we'll ever see anything that connects to Garmin, unless it is Garmin.

Here's a pic of my iFly 740 GPS which provides ADS-B in/out with AHRS from the SkyGuard. This also has a serial output and it will run my TruTrak if I wanted to.  I presently use my Garmin 495 to do this.  iFly 740 and SkyGuard TWX with AHRS Bundle cost me $2600. For $76 per year, I am allowed to update for obsticals, airport diagrams and airspaces anytime I wish.  A "certified" Garmin service center is is the only place that is allowed to obtain installation directions and diagrams needed for Garmin installation.  My friend had a GDL84 and Flight Stream installed which he uses to connect up with his iPad (Garmin Pilot program).  The installation of this by the local avionics shop which is a certified Garmin dealer/installer, cost about $8,000.  Following directions given by SkyGuard and a few calls to the company, my mechanic charged me $300 to install my ADS-B.

59adc62c34d14_iFlyGPS2.thumb.jpg.82de2045b03c252ca317c2fe5eef5a91.jpg

Our various aircraft have different GPS units installed.  The quicksilver has a 295 Garmin, the newer c 172 has G-1000.  The CTLS 696 plus sky view, the CTLSI a 796 plus sky view, the Superstol a 660 plus sky view and the older 172 a gtn 650 plus 797.

if I could have only one unit it would be the 10 inch touch skyview.  If that is a problem for space or $, the 796 is my choice.  We always have IPad Pro running with garmin pilot as well as foreflight,  they spend most of the time in the aircraft side pocket for lack of cell service. However the stored data in foreflight has helped sometimes.   CAUTION  The Garman 796 shut down on me for 20 minutes three years ago at the very wrong time    Something about a firmware update, and it shut down for a much shorter time on this most recent trip.   It is a VFR  device  and I do not find the synthetic vision to be very useful in the 796.  The terrain feature is very useful in any of these units when you're in unfamiliar territory .  

Farmer

Farmer, the iPad should work great as a GPS even without cell service, it has a dedicated GPS chip installed if you have the cellular model.  It won't give you traffic or weather when out of cell service (unless you have it bluetooth or wifi connected to something else), but it makes a fine navigator.  I use the iPad as my primary and it has never once lost GPS signal.

I agree with the iPads capacity however the iPad Pro, which my old eyes like the size, becomes  problematic as compared to the 796 with the XM service.   796 is hardwired, and as required Kenny Rogers is my traveling companion.   In The light sport aircraft the Dynon the Skyview is what were used to looking at.    We must all remember looking outside is the goal here.

please enjoy this shortened week with friends and family

Farmer

53 minutes ago, Farmer said:

I agree with the iPads capacity however the iPad Pro, which my old eyes like the size, becomes  problematic as compared to the 796 with the XM service.   796 is hardwired, and as required Kenny Rogers is my traveling companion.   In The light sport aircraft the Dynon the Skyview is what were used to looking at.    We must all remember looking outside is the goal here.

please enjoy this shortened week with friends and family

Farmer

I hear what you are saying, the iPad Pro is pretty large, and could be a challenge to find room for!

Archived