ADS-B Installation

ibjet

I impulsively decided to order the Nav Worx ADS-B package for LSA's / Experimental's yesterday (that's ADS600-EXP).

I had a notice from the FAA that their rebate offer was expiring, but I don't think it applies to LSA (I will research that, I have a few days to apply). 

For now, I was wondering if any CT owners/flyers have ordered or installed the Nav Worx ADS-B system?

If so, you might get a visit from N40HA, hee hee. 

The AD applies to all US registered aircraft, including LSA and experimental. It's in the AD text:

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgad.nsf/0/3156ea8fd766278486258137004ff683/$FILE/2017-11-11.pdf

(a) Applicability This AD applies to the following NavWorx, Inc., Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) Universal Access Transceiver units (unit) installed on aircraft certificated in any category, including experimental:

LSA is a category.

§21.190   Issue of a special airworthiness certificate for a light-sport category aircraft.

Now that said, it doesn't mean your ADS-B package is invalid. The AD isn't prohibiting the use of NavWorx ADS-B units; it's prohibiting the use of the internal positioning system, which does not have integrity monitoring. Either the SIL level needs to be changed, or you must couple to an approved external GPS source.

My invoice says 200-5012. And, as I say, it states NEXGEN 2.0

From reading the AD, it seems like there is really bad blood between the FAA and NavWorx. Hard to imagine this has been earily resolved.

If I understand correctly, is they do revise the SIL number back to 0, then ATC will not send traffic info to that particular aircraft. That would suck, because I want ADS-B in and out.

I'm out of time now to call Nav Worx (time difference), I'll call them first thing tomorrow.

Question: How is it that you are so knowledgible about this situation?

ET

I'm an A&P (so I know how to read ADs), and subscribed to the FAA AD mailing list for certain models of aircraft. (https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/USFAARGL/subscriber/new?pop=t). https://www.faasafety.gov also has mailing lists that are very useful.

What caught my attention on this was the fact that the AD applies fleet wide, so it hit on every airframe subscription I have. I've kept telling people that the FAA can issue ADs against ANY registered aircraft, engine, propeller, and appliance, no matter how it's certificated. If the airframe it's installed in has an airworthiness certificate, it's subject to ADs. So when someone says "I've got an S-LSA, I don't have to do ADs"... that's not correct.

§91.327   Aircraft having a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category: Operating limitations.

(b) No person may operate an aircraft that has a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category unless—

(3) The owner or operator complies with all applicable airworthiness directives;

In addition, ADs are an amendment to 14 CFR 39, so they have really big, sharp legal teeth.

Now there are procedures in place that the FAA must follow per the Administrative Procedures Act, as well as their charter and other acts of Congress. They can't just willy-nilly issue ADs, so you're not likely to see an AD that is applicable to your S-LSA or experimental.

But they did this time with AD 2017-11-11, so it's kind of a big deal. If there's another fleet wide AD out there, I'm not aware of it.

You can search for ADs here: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/airworthiness_directives/

I sent an email to Kyle Cobble of the FAA (the AD lists him as the contact for more information).

He called me this morning.

According to Kyle, the NavWorx ADS600-EXP (latest part number, 200-5012) is fine to use in an LSA. It has a new GPS chipset and the manufacturer has submitted the required statement (that the GPS meets all the ADS-B requirements). So, if I can figure out how to install it, I will be legal to the latest ADS-B 2020 requirements.

18 hours ago, Anticept said:

What caught my attention on this was the fact that the AD applies fleet wide, so it hit on every airframe subscription I have. I've kept telling people that the FAA can issue ADs against ANY registered aircraft, engine, propeller, and appliance, no matter how it's certificated. If the airframe it's installed in has an airworthiness certificate, it's subject to ADs. So when someone says "I've got an S-LSA, I don't have to do ADs"... that's not correct.

Now there are procedures in place that the FAA must follow per the Administrative Procedures Act, as well as their charter and other acts of Congress. They can't just willy-nilly issue ADs, so you're not likely to see an AD that is applicable to your S-LSA or experimental.

You have to do ADs in an S-LSA (or even E-LSA or E-AB) if you're depending on the certification status of a component to meet a safety or flight rules requirement, or (as in 201-11-11) FAA has determined that continued operation potentially impacts other people's safety. There is at least one other ADS-B maker that's been in hot water with FAA over some of their units that set SIL to a value that doesn't necessarily correspond to the quality of the GPS data (because the GPS receiver is not part of the unit.) There isn't an AD out against them because they are portable units -- and that's another can of worms that's still sitting on the shelf. Fortunately I think most of this is shaking out well in advance of 2020. (I am not an A&P but have been an FCC licensed avionics tech for a long time.)

• 1 month later...

Bummer! Are you sure your ADS600-EXP has the part number that is affected by the AD?

My ADS600 has a newer part number,  200-5012. Kyle Cobble (main author of the AD) told me that part number is OK. It has a different GPS chipset that does meet the ADSB requirements and sends out the correct code.

You might contact Kyle, find out who that chipset manufacturer is and see if you can purchase it. Kyle was very nice to talk to. His email is:

kyle.cobble@faa.gov

I have not dug into all the instructions that came with mine. I do not have an avionics shop anywhere near me, so I'm going to do my best to install it myself (I have my Repairman license).

Question: Did they tell you that you would need a Garman GA56 antenna? I was told they are out of production but in good supply in the used market. I plan to search on eBay, but have not done that yet.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

ET

Hello,

My ADS600-EXP is p/n 200-8013. I've had it installed since 2016. I'm attaching the service bulletin from Navworx, and the Federal Register excerpt covering the AD. I'm one of the users who never had a GPS accuracy discrepancy reported by FAA, and my test flight passed w/o problems. I used the internal glareshield GPS antenna.

Navworx had planned to make a new GPS module 200-8112 to piggy-back on top of the UAT. That is not available now.  I'm currently looking at the various TSO transponder replacements. I'm no longer trusting of small avionics vendors.So looking at Garmin, Appareo, L3 . I know Freeflight UAT was proposed by Flight Design.

I also have a Zaon XRX traffic receiver, Zaon is out of business. I've repaired the mini-fan in that once already, but it may die again.

I wonder how uAvionix is working out, I'll read that thread now. Are they actually TSO 'performance' . Is the FAA reviewing their GPS chipset?

Bill McCandless

ServiceBulletinEXP060000.pdf

2017-11625.pdf

NEWS-ADS-B-Solution-for-current-models-0416.pdf

4 minutes ago, BMcCand - N248CT said:

Hello,

My ADS600-EXP is p/n 200-8013. I've had it installed since 2016. I'm attaching the service bulletin from Navworx, and the Federal Register excerpt covering the AD. I'm one of the users who never had a GPS accuracy discrepancy reported by FAA, and my test flight passed w/o problems. I used the internal glareshield GPS antenna.

Navworx had planned to make a new GPS module 200-8112 to piggy-back on top of the UAT. That is not available now.  I'm currently looking at the various TSO transponder replacements. I'm no longer trusting of small avionics vendors.So looking at Garmin, Appareo, L3 . I know Freeflight UAT was proposed by Flight Design.

I also have a Zaon XRX traffic receiver, Zaon is out of business. I've repaired the mini-fan in that once already, but it may die again.

I wonder how uAvionix is working out, I'll read that thread now. Are they actually TSO 'performance' . Is the FAA reviewing their GPS chipset?

Bill McCandless

ServiceBulletinEXP060000.pdf

2017-11625.pdf

NEWS-ADS-B-Solution-for-current-models-0416.pdf

What did it take to repair the mini-fan?   Mine has been turned off for a year :(

The fan had been hot-glued to the case, and wires soldered to board. Carefully cut away glue with xacto knife, slide fan off the pin.

I cut the wires and spliced new fan in, rather than solder on a multi layer board. Sometimes the ground plane is not thermally relieved around the hole, and it is hard to solder. The fan came from  Digikey :

259-1544-ND
FAN AXIAL 20X8MM VAPO 5VDC WIRE

I bought two. Seems to be a failure item.

Bill McCandless

• 3 months later...

Back on topic - I've installed a uavionix Echo UAT, and SkyFyx GPS to feed it on 12/24. This was a retrofit kit from Dallas avionics  for Navworx customers. The devices are behind the breaker panel on the right of the mushroom.

I did get a revised cable from uavionix, the first one had the GTX327 control wired to the wrong pin 3(the serial altitude). Correct pin is 1 on the DB9.

FAA report is now happy, and I've applied for the MRA from FD. uavionix is a supported device with Foreflight, so I'm using that not WingX.

It is good to have a dual band receiver. I can get traffic while on the ground. When airborne at about 3000 ft I can see two towers, and also get TIS-B and FIS-B then.

I've added 3 pictures. The mounted pair of radios is in the mushroom, behind the right breaker / instrument panel. The UAT antenna is on the belly behind the static port and OAT probe. (where ELT used to be). The small rectangular GPS antenna is on the glare shield, up front near the air vent.  The white cable is for something else. The GPS396 antenna is to the right.

Bill

MountPair1.jpg

UAT_Bottom_ant.jpg

Gps_internal_ant.jpg

Hi Bill,

Wow, thanks for the info. I guess that is probably the way I will end up going. I have not gotten any usable instructions from Dallas Avionics yet for how to install my version of the Navworx. Apparently they (Navworx) never created a version of the installation manual covering my part number. They (Dallas Avionics) sent me a manual for the ADS600-B but it covers several different part numbers, none of them mine and I could not even match up my unit to any of them by comparing the weight. I keep asking them to send me installation instructions covering my version, or send me a return authorization. I told them even if they just tell me which part number mine is "the same as" I would proceed. I'm toying with the idea of filing a small claims case against them, but I don't know if they are legally liable (they sold me an ADS-B with no installation instructions).

I have kept myself busy doing a couple or repairs on my CT and installing an AvMap EFIS. My latest diversion was the purchase and assembly of a ventless fireplace (it uses gel fuel, but I plan to install a ventless propane firelog).

Can you tell me what that Uavionix system cost you (with the GPS)?

Can you share a picture(s) with me (or here on CTflier)?

I bought a mini iPad for Karaoke but I have not been able to upload any Karaoke files to it, so I may install it in my CT. Is that what you are using to display your ADS-B In map? I think Foreflight is an Apple APP, isn't it?

Thank you so much Bill for all the info. You are a very productive man, wish I had your drive!!!

ET

ibjet@me.com

• 4 months later...

One more update on EchoUAT installation. I had a cable which used GTX327 for control, but pressure altitude was by transponder RF monitor. The altitude result was unreliable, according to FAA test. . I got a new cable ECHOUATmux, which takes both control and serial altitude over hard wire. THis now works correctly. See appendix 12C in echo manual.

I did not install a fireplace.

Archived