Partnerships - how did you do it?

ChgoFlyer

I'm curious if anyone here has successfully created a partnership. 

There re are no LSA close to me to rent, so I'm looking at getting 3 others to pay cash for a CT. 

I've put flyers up, but no luck. For the airports convenient to me, there is really no light sport activity. I'm curious if others have done it. Without knowing the others first. I have very few pilot friends and no sport pilot friends. 

The CT is a wonderfully capable airplane, don't let the fact that it has a airworthiness certificate in the light sport category fool you. It is well suited for pilots of any level who are looking to fly VFR, not just sport pilots. The problem is pilots who have been around for a while don't see them as real airplanes, at least not until you get them in one.

Chicago, which airport would be your preference? I know a few guys in Chicago, but that can still put people 1.5 hrs from your desired location. Also the COpA forum would be a could place to post as well. Thousands of pilots reading that forum every week. It would be worth your $60 to join. We keep our membership active after selling our Cirrus years ago. It's a great forum. 

Thanks @Scrapman1959. First preference is 3CK (Lake in the Hills Northwest of ORD). Campbell (C81) or Schaumburg (06C) would work too, but 3CK is the closest and I know they have hangars. (No hangars at 06C and I don't know about C81).  

I'll check COpA but wouldn't expect to find many interested in LSA there. 

I have my PPL and might qualify for basic Med if I clean up some of my prescription history, but LSA would be easier and fits my current mission profile. 

Appreciate the response. 

I land at 06C all the time when grabbing folks coming in to ORD, but ur right 50 planes tied down on the ramp already. I have landed Lake in Hills too, but years ago. The copa site has tons of folks, reading, but never posting, and not just cirrus guys. It's really worth a try. My CTLS will be for sale in about a month. It's got 1100 hours on it, but all by me, not a typical flight school AC beat to death by a bunch of students. I have to get the chute repacked after I get my P2008 later this week. Not sure what it's worth, but thinking around $90K it's a 2011 with a 430 WAAS for the main radio and Then of course the SkyView. It's got the black seats. 

Big tip:

If you do a partnership, it's usually simplest to require unanimous decisions to make changes to the operating agreement. That means where it's going to be based, who is going to maintain, how you are going to deal with someone who cannot pay their share, alterations, etc.

Partnerships lower barrier to entry, but increase complexity of management.

I got out of a partnership last year that cost me a lot more than It should have. I was inexperienced when I signed it.

I've got a SAHM wife and 3 little people (10, 8 & 3) to support. 

While I could pay $90 out of pocket, that would be uncomfortable. $25 with some partners is doable. I don't want to be on the hook for the fixed costs either. Dividing by 3 makes them a non-event. 

I can't see me doing it without partners right now. I wouldn't use it enough and wouldn't want to tie up the capital. 

If I didn't have kids and if my wife was supportive, that's a different story. I've had my PPL the whole 23 yrs I've known my wife. She's gone flying with me 3x. 

Not a partnership, but another idea. Our club has 3 CTLS' and is located @ KRAC. I dont know how much of a drive that is for you.... but if you were looking to fly the CT, its a great place to be. Check out http://www.racinesportflyers.com. Plane availability is usually never an issue, and we have some great CFI's. I'm almost to check ride, and having a great time.

Archived