Climb speeds

Ed Cesnalis

I have become a serious climber, my initial climb has become 7,100' to 12,500'.   Vy is too slow to feel right and 90+kts is too fast to get a decent climb rate.  85kts  is my new number and always with neg flaps.

Yesterday I was getting 500fpm, and turning 5,200RPM @ WOT 11,000'.

Vy just doesn't feel stable nor does it give the view, 85 is the speed where my wings feel loaded and not prone to drop with  every bit of change.

3 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

I use 78-80kt, so I think you are correct.

This may be splitting hairs, but this is right on top of Vy for 0 flaps, which is listed as 78kts.  Wouldn't you expect a greater difference?  FWIW, this is published for the CTLS, and Vy for -6 is 5kts greater than for 0deg.  Right or wrong, I use 83-84kts for Vy for -6, though I usually do more of a cruise climb at 95-100kts above TPA.  Of course, this is starting at much lower altitudes than Ed flies (my field is 800').

42 minutes ago, JLang said:

This may be splitting hairs, but this is right on top of Vy for 0 flaps, which is listed as 78kts.  Wouldn't you expect a greater difference?  FWIW, this is published for the CTLS, and Vy for -6 is 5kts greater than for 0deg.  Right or wrong, I use 83-84kts for Vy for -6, though I usually do more of a cruise climb at 95-100kts above TPA.  Of course, this is starting at much lower altitudes than Ed flies (my field is 800').

I usually cruise climb as well at around 90-100kt.  I find that 78-80kt gives me better climb than 83-84kt.  Just my experience, YMMV.

1 hour ago, FlyingMonkey said:

I find that 78-80kt gives me better climb than 83-84kt.  Just my experience, YMMV.

That makes sense since you are solo more often than not, right?  Since book V speeds are at gross, a lighter weight means slower Vy, so 78-80kts well under gross seems to match ~83kts at full weight.  I should have clarified my Q as Vy "by the book" or at gross.  My experience is best rate at ~83kts gross and ~80 solo w/ 20gal.

It's been many years since I looked this up in my manual and posted it on my panel. Best rate at minus 6 in my manual is 86 KIAS. At zero it is 78 KIAS. I use 85 and 75 to keep it simple.

I usually cruise climb at 90 to 100 KIAS, like Andy, especially if cooling is a concern.

Archived