Updated a Garmin 696 This Year?

N78BZ

I got a bit of a surprise this week when I tried to update the charts on my Garmin 696. I hooked up the USB cable to my laptop, just as I have done many times, and clicked the install button and... "Beginning in 2011, this unit can no longer be updated via USB connection... must update via an SD card..."

It seems you now have to use the SD memory card for chart updates. In my CTLS, that means removing the 696 from the panel to gain access to the SD card slot. I took the unit home, found an old SD card from a camera, and was able to successfully update the maps.

Mine is a pretty early 696 so I don't know if this is confined just to certain 696 units, or if it applies to all of them. In any event, if you are planning a 696 chart update, leave yourself some extra time in case the USB cable no longer works for you.

I just updated mine in late 2010 using USB ... if what you say is true what's involved with taking the 696 out of the panel? Any special tools and what time is involved getting it out? I assume there is a bunch of stuff connected to it like autopilot, antenna, dynon, power, etc

I just updated mine in late 2010 using USB ... if what you say is true what's involved with taking the 696 out of the panel? Any special tools and what time is involved getting it out? I assume there is a bunch of stuff connected to it like autopilot, antenna, dynon, power, etc

Not sure how yours is mounted, but mine is pretty easy. If you bought your CT from Flight Design Southeast in Sebring, it is probably installed like mine.

Remove just the four corner screws of the center panel and slide the whole panel toward you. At the back center of the 696, there are four screws holding it in place. Remove those (don't lose the washers!) and the 696 drops out forward. At that point, you can access the SD card slot (left side, near where the cables all plug in. If you downloaded the update onto an SD card before you began all of this, and then all you have to do is insert the SD card into the slot and turn the 696 on (button on the top of the unit, right side). It should recognize the card, process the update, and reboot the unit.

If you want to remove the 696 so you can take it home to do the update, there are four wires connecting it. A larger power and data cable/plug, a USB cable, an audio output cable, and a GPS antenna wire. Simply make note of how the wires are routed so you can put it all back in the same way (to prevent chafing) and unplug the cables. When you are all done, simple reverse the process to reinstall.

Don't let the foregoing scare you. It takes longer to read all of those steps than it takes to do it.

I called GARMIN and confirmed that as of 2011 only SD card updates are available. The GARMIN tech was apologetic when I told him OUR problem - a panel mounted 696 that requires disassembly to access the SD slot.

He asked if I had an SD card and card reader. When I told him I didn't he said he'd gladly ship them to me FREE. Could I wait for ground shipping or did I need them sooner?

Wait, wait, it get's better. After going thru the shipping info he then set up my update info in FLY.GARMIN. And by way of apology for the inconvenience of no longer having the USB option he added a free cycle update!

Now that's customer service.

• 4 months later...

I know what you mean. I have the GPSMap 496 and will upgrade to the 696 after Oshkosh (after a rumored price reduction.) As an admittedly crusty old curmudgeon I don't have the kindest things to say about most customer service representatives, Garmin is the exception. The Garmin aviation folks are the kindest, most knowledgeable, considerate people I can ever remember working with. Good for them as that's what keeps me coming back.

If you have a permanent mounted 496 or 696, consider adding an AirGizmo mount to the dash. Both Garmin gps units will just "click in" and "click out" then for your updates. I found out last week that Flight Design as recently issued a revised standard avionics approval so you don't need a Letter of Alteration to install the AirGizmo mount (not to mention saving the $150 fee.)

Talking to my favorite Garmin aviation guy: Damon Miner, he advised that for the 696 installed-in an AirGizmo mount-you only have to pull the top of of the 696 forward an inch or two to slip the SD card into the side slot for updates, then just snap it back into place without having to touch any of the connecting cables.

• 5 years later...

I can verify what Doc Ron says. There was an LOA for the airgizmo and it was one of the first things I did after I got my RSLM-A. To use the sd card you just rotate the latching mechanism and it comes out far enough to access the card without disconnecting any of the plugs.

(I am reworking my panel I may be willing to part with my 696 and airgizmo. But it will be a couple of months before I can say for certain. I also have changed my 330EX for a Dynon transponder.)

• 1 month later...

You should always "worry about" having current charts VFR or IFR.  It's just one more detail that will help keep you safe and out of trouble.  It's a difference between being a pilot and being a good pilot.

No one should fly without synthetic vision and terrain mapping.   And no one should fly without TCAS and ADS-B(in and out).  And no one should fly without airbag seatbelts.   And no one should fly who works on their own plane.  And no one should fly without a radio.  And no one should fly without performing W&B before each flight and NEVER fly over MTOW.  And no one should fly without in-cockpit weather and smart taxi.  And no one should fly who does not have a blue-level button and ESP (Electronic Stability and Protection).  There are many ways to stay safer...

And before EFBs few likely had the most current paper sectional in the cockpit....

But in VFR daytime flight in an SLSA around the patch most will be flying by pilotage and around known terraine and landmarks.  Not saying update once a year, but am saying monthly updates are not critical, especially if you have a tablet to use as a backup as most do.

"But in VFR daytime flight in an SLSA around the patch most will be flying by pilotage and around known terraine and landmarks.  Not saying update once a year, but am saying monthly updates are not critical, especially if you have a tablet to use as a backup as most do."

Again, this attitude is the difference between a pilot or a good pilot.  There is absolutely no excuse for not updating your charts regardless of what device you are using.

I agree . You have to be very careful because people are moving major towns , mountains , rivers etc, all the time . You may miss these moves if it is done overnite.

I always updated my 496 ,before my trip to sun n fun. Even though you should be flying VFR,you still like to know where any new towers may have been installed.

No argument about having the up to date info but if you are flying so close to the ground that an uncharted 360 ft. tower is a danger to you then you may have a limited lifespan or are a thrliseeker. 

No argument about having the up to date info but if you are flying so close to the ground that an uncharted 360 ft. tower is a danger to you then you may have a limited lifespan or are a thrliseeker. 

Correct.  No one should EVER fly lower than 1000 feet over populated areas or 500 feet over rural areas (unless in an airport pattern).  The CT POH says the Garmin MUST NOT be used for pilotage navigation or obstacle avoidance.  The device is to be used to enhance situational awareness.

post-940-0-89664300-1482192191_thumb.jpg

Read my post again . No argument about having up to date info. How do you form the view that my attitude to having up date charts maps info is poor ???? . At no time have I said that you should fly with out of date charts . I believe that if you are the one using your non tso'd Garmin for primary navigation information then you are breaking the law . If you are not using your Garmin for primary navigation information then I retract my statement about breaking the law . Go back a bit , we were discussing updating Garmin 296/496 series GPS, Ipad is a legal method if delivery of nav. info. and therefor can be used for primary navigation . Garmin is not . I have a Garmin myself and I think it is great but it is not my primary source of navigation . Therefore it is not essential that I update the Garmin database as often . The map information is only one part of the whole package that your Ipad is providing and is therefore critical that it be current . 

Foreflight, iFly, Garmin Pilot are non-certified software tools running on a tablet or laptop and can get automatic updates when connected to the web (or downloaded via command).  Part 61 pilots can use an EFB with no paper backup for flight planning.  Part 121 pilots must have a backup to the EFB.  Tablet based virtual PFDs with GPS capability are not to be used as a PFD.

The non-TSO'd gear like Dynon and Garmin x96 in a Flight Design is not to be used as a primary navigation tool nor for obstacle avoidance as stated in the POH.  Therefore, updating them is up to the discretion of the PIC.

SLSA is not made under Part 23 certification.   LSA's are manufactured under special airworthiness and consensus standards.  https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/light_sport/

As such, SLSA manufacturers are held responsible for restrictions and guidance for non-TSO'd gear.   As was stated earlier, the FD CT POH clearly provides such guidance in regard to the use of the Garmin x96.

The use of the Garmin 696 and 796 are for situational awareness only.  And how often the software is updated is up to the PIC.

Archived