low voltage

brich

I'm flying a ctsw, also the ls but this am the sw and the low voltage lights kept coming on, then I had no flaps, radio quit and left side of panel quit. The owner has been chasing this gremlin and even installed a new battery this week. Thoughts? Got kinda lonely up there this morning.

I had a similar experience in my 2006 CTSW and it resulted in a a NORDO landing with flaps refleced to -12. It turned out to be a bad Voltage Regulator/Rectifier that had burned out and needed to be replaced. Not much warning anything was wrong until RPM started to drop although engine was running fine and then high pitched squeal and then no radio or any electrical power.

Hi Brich,

You need to take a multimeter and start the engine. Check the AC voltage in on the two yellow wires on the regulator and check the DC voltage out on the top white "C" charge wire. Also check the DC voltage out on the "R" reference wire on the first one just above the two yellow wires. Make sure the negative and positive terminal wires are tight on top of the battery. You can find all the info in the Heavy maint Rotax manual.

Here is a list in order of likelihood I think might be the trouble.

These two are the most likely: (both of these occur after the reg/rec)

bad wire connector.

rubbed through or broken wire

Next would be the:

reg/rec (not very frequent, but does happen)

Last and not likely is the charging pick ups back at the stator.

These are all fairly easy to isolate if you use the multimeter and do as I out lined above and use the numbers Dick posted on his paper.

Keep us informed, we will all learn something from this.

Thanks for the reply's. I had low volatage warning, engine light then lost flaps, gps,left panel then no radio. I started getting stuff back but continued low voltage warning to hangar. I would estimate just less than 1 hour, hobbs read 2 tenths. I'm really considering a handheld as backup. I'm low time and that kinda got my attention.The pdf certainly seems straightforward.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived