Coming out of winter

CodyPhil

Due the closure of our airport for much of the winter, my CTLS hasn't been flown in nearly four months. I've had a trickle charge on the battery, the engine compartment kept at 50 degrees, and 3/4's fueled with Mogas. I'd appreciate any recommendations as to what I should do before going flying.

Hi CodyPhil,

Drain the fuel and put it in your car. Put fresh fuel in your plane. It isn't worth the headaches that could come up. Pull the gascolator bottom off and put a 5 gal can underneath with a funnel in the spout. You should do an oil change to to some oils can become a little acidic. Rotate the prop about 30 times before starting to get oil everywhere it needs to be before your first start.

Better safe than sorry!

CodyPhil, some thoughts on what I'd do if my CT was going to sit for the winter. I'd drain the MoGas from the tanks and leave a few gallons of fuel, just enough to get to an airport with 100LL and fill the tanks with 100LL. Flying the plane back to where it is stored should run the 100LL thru the fuel system, including the carbs. I'd drain the oil and put fresh oil in. Maintaining the engine at a warm temperature during the winter, like you appear to be doing, is really important. I also keep a light bulb inside the cockpit and this keeps everything in the cockpit, including the instruments, dry. Throwing an old quilt or heavy blanket over the engine and over the cockpit wouldn't be a bad idea too. As a precaution, I'd also put some wood blocks under the axles. Should one of the tires loose air, the blocks will prevent the plane from leaning and prevent fuel from draining out one of the wing vents. I'm not sure if you have mice in your hangar? I also keep packages of Decon poison in the corners of my hangar. Mice love to eat wires. Not a good thing on our CT's!

Thank you all for these great suggestions. I'll be sure to drain the fuel and oil before adding fresh - makes sense. I'll add blocks, bulb in the cabin and Decon to my 2011/2012 winter to-do list.

Even though it's officially spring in New Hampshire, it snowed last week and it's sleeting today - so I've got more time than I want to get 860LS ready. Year-round flying sounds very good after this winter!

Archived