6 degree vs 12 degree flap setting

NC Bill

When it comes to prop thrust balance, accuracy is very important to keep vibration minimal. I know where everyone is coming from here, but props are not something that you can accept much spread at all.

If you haven't seen how props are made, you should look. They are doing things to the thousandths. Even static balancing is flat out nuts. They used to use these giant hand mills with extreme precision, and now it's done with CNC.

I get down to less than a tenth of a degree spread. It's palm sweating work at that point, but it's important.

As for my angle gauge: Because of the possibility of error, I'm strict in my controls too. The exact same step by step for each blade is adhered to. This minimizes error.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mentioned you used an ipad to set a prop earlier. We blurred the lines a bit and I forgot this is a flaps topic. I agree with flaps, no biggie. But having a serious angle gauge if you're messing with props really should be considered if you don't already have one.

In a pinch: sure. But overall I still say one should use a tool built for the purpose :)

But I think Roger said his app doesn't snap to angle, so he felt comfortable with it.

Meh, I think we all pretty much agree here.

I'd like to see that app though. I know the default compass app (which includes a bubble level) does it, and it only shows 1 degree increments...

Archived