Mounting camera on outside of airplane - is it legal?

Lindenberg

Can you legally mount a camera on the outside of an airplane? I'm seeing more videos with LSA "wing cams" and the show "Flying Wild Alaska" has them mounted all over the airplanes. I enjoy filming flying but I've never explored sticking a camera outside the plane.

Here you go. Aerodynamic, light, easy to use, inexpensive and will take a video or still camera. The tie down ring comes out and secure the mount with another bolt. A vary stable and secure platform.

Here is a video clip from an outing.

post-3-0-40856700-1307745017_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-86147200-1307745018_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-69649700-1307745020_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-16551200-1307745022_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-81547600-1307745023_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-30473300-1307745025_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-71905200-1307745026_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-13802600-1307745027_thumb.jpg

'good question on the legalities... I'm guessing it's ok as long as you don't interfere with aerodynamics, and take reasonable measures to prevent the camera from falling off. Regulations/laws are usually the result of numerous incidents with bad outcomes. I doubt there have been enough problems for specific regulations to be needed. I've thought about adding a safety wire, but there's just as much chance a dangling camera, banging around wildly at 100mph, would cause damage or dangerous distraction.

Many of the new cameras are the size of a pack of cigarettes... One of mine is the size of your thumb.

Tim

Hi Al,

I built it for about $20. Down to Ace Hardware and picked up some aluminum and I already had some rivets. Took about 2 hours. It is very aerodynamic and rock steady. If you have a remote control with your camera you can use that, too.

We have compared between Contour HD, GoPro HD and Drift HD170 and mean, that the GoPro HD makes the best Videoquality.

( Roger, you have a E- Mail from me). I don´t know, how it´s possible to take photos into the forum.

Karsten

• 1 year later...

I have a GoPro video camera which I wish to mount under the wing. My CT2K has no tie-down ring, so I'm hoping that an adhesive stick-on mount supplied by GoPro will be strong enough to hold in the airstream in widely varying temperatures. Has anyone had experience with adhesive stick-on mounts by GoPro or some other supplier?

If so, please let me know.

I raised this question after hearing an FAA rep say he has sent the question to FAA legal based on airshow performers. In his opinion the are not legal. We have to have LOA's to legally use a different battery or fire extinguisher, but for some reason this is seen as a non-issue.

Archived