Light Sport Training Course - Which one is best?

Lindenberg

What is the best training course to use when getting a Light Sport license? The bug has bitten me and I am starting to look into all the details. The local FBO, that has a CTSW available for lessons, uses a piece meal curriculum they have put together. If I'm going to do this I want to get started on the right foot.

Two things come to mind Lindenburg: 1. Stay hot on a schedule with minimum time between training sessions and 2. It might be worthwhile to ask the forum what to look for in an instructor--how does the student select a "good instructor". IMO the curriculum will follow suit. I am not an instructor, but I was a demanding student on a mission like you to achieve piloting skills. I'll throw out a characteristic one of my instructors exuded which helped to instill confidence in me to be a performance oriented PIC. This instructor was a pro in my book, he was able to sense my piloting capability even after my skills eroded because of lengthly time between training sessions. He was "with it", and I wasn't on edge that he was a millisecond away from taking control. Another instructor actually sat there with his hands hovering within an inch of the the controls at all times. Heck, I was mesmerized just waiting to see what it would take for him to grab them away from me. He really didn't motivate me to perform any manuevers to standard..and he didn't really care, other than we flew and he got paid. Good Luck finding a good one.

Hi Lindenburg,

That's fantastic your thinking about starting flight training! Here is a link to the Flight Design Pilot Kit that is available. FDPC kit It might be one to look at. There are plenty out there like Sporty's, and Gleim. They are mostly the same in content and order, so it's mainly about finding the instructor that fits you, just as bb mentioned. Don't settle for just anyone, find the instructor that fits you and the way you learn, is professional, and treats you like a paying customer, not just free flight time to build hours toward another goal.

Please feel free call or email or post if you need help or have questions. I am glad to help!

• 1 month later...

The Gleim red books on sport flying contain a complete system incuding a ground and flight syllabus and other information. The syllabus is one book and the other book has the backup information. If you learn from reading and study, these are fine. If you prefer DVD lectures, trial testing, and so on, the King DVD is excellent. I am sure the others are also.

• 1 month later...

Late to the dance with this (as usual)

For ground school I used Jeppessen's online Sport Pilot. I was reasonable in cost (250 or so if I remember) and allowed you to work through it at your own pace-which with the way my schedule was at the time fit the bill. Anyway, the ground work was very comprehensive with stage checks along the way. Then at the end a CFI sign-off to certify the ground course and sit for the written (I managed a 97).

Hope this helps.

T.

Even though I have been flying for 30 years I am still a student. We all are students of this. Anyway, you might think of it as finding the right flight school, not the right instructor. It would be unusual to do all your training with one instructor, and it might not even be a good idea if you could. Variety, as we know, is the spice of life! WF

I also used the Jeppesen online ground school, and did fine with it (although the modules are sometimes pretty slow to load, and overall I would say it is a bit technically clunky). I used a King light sport DVD course to get ready for my checkride, and although John King is not everyone's cup of tea, I have to say this helped me a lot, both on anticipating questions on the oral and in reviewing the elements of the flight checkride itself.

Archived