Flying budget

wlfpckrs

Do you try to allocate (or limit yourself to) a certain number of flying hours monthly? For the past few years, I've been a pretty consistent 140-150 hours per year guy, which comes out to an average of 12-13 hours per month. I'd love to fly even more, but the pocketbook just won't allow unlimited flying (darn it). Fortunately, I can fly 12 months per year in NC.

I have owned airplanes for 37 years, all for pleasure/personal use. I don't budget nor try to justify the ownership because, other than my personal pleasure and well being, there is no rational justification. As long as we are able to pay the bills and the wife has her stuff and is happy, I'm not going to give it up. I know I am fortunate to be able to do this and at 67 I figure I don't have too many flying years left so I plan to enjoy them.

I envy you guys who have enough good weather to get more than 100 hrs./yr. Living next to Gitchie Goome ( lake superior) I struggle to get 70-80 hrs./season. Lord willing if I get my LPA to AZ this winter I'll get more than 100 hrs. this season, first time in years.

John, don't be so pesimestic, I'm 75 and plan to surpass my dad who flew until he was 87 (with a medical). That was one of the reasons I went LSA however now I just prefer to fly the LPA.

al meyer

For me, the cost for each incremental hour of flying is small - the big costs are all fixed or annual costs (insurance, hangar, annual). Mogas is cheap, as are DIY oil changes / 50 hr inspections. The big problem is finding time to fly!

Doug

Archived