HUGE COST REDUCTION FOR TOP-LINE AVIONICS

Roger Lee

HUGE COST REDUCTION FOR TOP-LINE AVIONICS

Thursday 21 July, 2011 1:02 pm | news release

Flight Design CTLS with Deluxe Garmin G3X

When the economy is dragging, leaders sharpen their pencils to keep aircraft affordable. No one questions how difficult the last three years have been for aviation in all sectors so buyers are likely to embrace major price reductions. “Thanks to innovative thinking between leaders at Flight Design and Garmin, we are pleased to announce Garmin G3X Special Pricing, available at the start of AirVenture 2011, stated John Doman, Director of Business Development, Global Sales & Marketing for Flight Design. “This is really more akin to price slashing!” The Garmin G3X Special Pricing Package offers a retail price of only $9,980; previously it was $27,795.

The SL40 radio is now part of package instead of SL30 though the SL30 remains available as option at additional cost. Finally, the Special Pricing Package installs a TruTrak 2.25-inch back-up attitude director indicator (ADI); the TruTrak back-up battery supply to the ADI has been deleted from the package.

“We are confident this greatly increased value will boost sales of the Garmin G3X package and make our market-leading CTLS affordable to more customers,” reported Flight Design GmbH CEO, Matthias Betsch.thumbs_garmin_g3x_sl30_gns430_gma240_trutrak_vsgv_ap.jpg

Flight Design is a 24-year-old manufacturer based in Germany. The company remains the worldwide market leader thanks to its well-received CT series of light aircraft. More than 1,700 of these aircraft are flying in 40 countries. One of the first aircraft certified under ASTM International standards in 2005, the CT (“composite technology”) remains the top-selling LSA in America through six consecutive years. Flight Design sold the first LSA to India and was the first LSA to earn Chinese Type Design Approval. Three times a CT has been flown around the world.

Thats a great looking panel! I like the Garmin 430 and the dual com with audio panel. Having the 430 with WAAS I could practice all kinds of cool GPS-based approaches. That is a real limitation of the vfr Garmins like the 496 I have. Replace the cheap altimeter with a real two-handed one and I would almost be tempted! WF

The G3X system is very cool. Total overkill for a CT, but still cool.

IMHO, for any VFR aircraft, the G3X is overkill, but if you flew a bunch of night VFR or VFR in crummy weather (not advisable, but ...), it might be worth it.

It's a great IFR setup. Unfortunately, you can't have the G3X push flight plan info to your IFR-rated NAV box (e.g, Garmin 430). I suppose Garmin's answer to that would be for you to just buy a $60k G900X instead...

Doug

Ok... I was just getting ready to send my deposit for my new CTLS (531CT looks to have a new home in Scottsdale, AZ) and then this announcement comes out! I was going Dynon Skyview (now built in Transponder and Autopilot making the panel that much cleaner) when low and behold the G3X is now CHEAPER?... Hmmm.... Dynon also has a GPS built in available, I'm waiting for FD to announce the end of the 696 thus leaving 2 Dynon Skyview screens and a com as the only items in the panel... Question is, with the G3x so cheap, do I rethink my avionics!? Hmm....

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a 696 at OSH last week for $2199 and it came with an additional $200 rebate since it was bought at the airshow. Had to pay about $100 in Wisconsin sales taxes but was still $100 ahead. I also bought the Airgizmo dock mount (both items from Aircraft Spruce.) While the pricing on the 696 was the same with all vendors, the Airgizmo mount was not. Again, at the airshow, Airgizmo and Sporty's wanted $199. for the mount; Aircraft Spruce sells it for $168. Very happy with the purchases.

• 1 month later...

I haunt flown a G3X yet, but I have 100 hrs now behind the dynon skyview and am not impressed in the least with the synthetic vis. The airspeed and TAS calculations are off by 8 knts at 105 knts. The synthetic vis is nothing more than green on bottom and blue on top. The only thing it has over the old dynon is it shows towers same as my 696 . You can't make out a runway until it's 2miles out. And just to make sure you are landing on the correct runway, you can make out the number about 200 yards before you cross over it. That really helps!

The synthetic vis is nothing more than green on bottom and blue on top.

Take it to the Rockies and see if you see something different. You basically don't have much elevation change in your area. Lowest elevation in Wisconsin is 581' MSL, and the highest is 1,951' MSL at some hill. What we call the foothills here, go up to 4,200' MSL within a few miles of my 133' MSL airport.

SVT is phenomenal! Of course, this is with Garmin, so I have no experience with the Dynon. The one in our 182 is highly accurate and when flying around mountains, I feel a lot more comfortable. In addition, I just earned my instrument ticket. Runways, a flight director, HITS (highway in the sky) and "pipper" also are included with the SVT package. This made ILS/GPS approaches a piece of cake along with holding patterns. We could even make "zero/zero" takeoffs without any stress at all. All you have to do is keep the pipper in the box and that's where you'll be in 30 seconds. It even allows for wind corrections. I wouldn't be without it.

See you guys at Page in 2 weeks!

John

Archived