Educating flight schools that LSA are real airplanes

Lindenberg

Is there some information available on the web that can be used to educate flight schools that offering LSA aircraft and instruction is a good thing to do? I just spoke to the owner of the flight school where my son is flying. He has a large fleet of old Pipers. His opinion is that LSA are only for old people that can't renew their medical and for flying around the traffic pattern. He said one in twenty people that contact him about instruction are inquiring about LSA and he turns them away from LSA. He doesn't even view LSA as another path to getting a PPL.

I will be meeting with next week to discuss a video I'll be filming for him and I would like to give him some good reasons to consider LSA.

You can try to lead some people by conversation, education for those have have open minds and progressive, but then you run into the old school, stubborn, non forward thinking and people who just can't keep up. It's time to let those people alone and move on. many schools that have incorporated SLSA into their program have found it cheaper than running GA aircraft and opens the other side of for the LSA only student.

If the person you are talking about has been reading and keeping up with the market and other schools then he/she would already know this. Their loss.

There will always be people on the front end of success then everyone else trying to catch up. Then there are those that never do catch up.

Maybe if they read this post. wink.gif

Take them for a flight - the airplane sells itself.

That said, the CT isn't as good of a trainer as the 152 in some ways. The old 152 is heavy and a little underpowered, but it can survive a lot of abuse, and that's what students do to airplanes - abuse them, although usually not intentionally. Somehow, along the way, they learn how to fly.

The CT is a great airplane to have for pilots to rent - for the cost of a 152, you get a bigger cockpit, more speed, and more fun flying qualities. What's not to like?

Doug

I have been using a CTSW and now a CTLS in my flight school for almost three years now and every aspect has been great! So far our CTLS has flown 450hrs in the last 9 months getting thru many first solos, private and sport check rides. Both aircraft are dependable, sturdy, easy to maintain and cheap to operate. Students get the benefit of modern avionics, modern construction and yet real stick and rudder flying. I would not go back to the tin cans after having a CT. I would be glad to talk to any schools, provide demos if I'm in the area if there are some interested.

• 3 weeks later...

Across the taxiway from where I trained for my Sport Certificate (Fantasy Air, Sanford, NC) is a "real" flight school. When Fantasy Air first moved in, the owner approached the "real" flight school to introduce himself and to see if they could work together for their mutual benefit. The "real" flight school basically said, "Thanks, but no thanks. We're trying to attract a higher quality pilot over here." In the mean time, Fantasy Air probably trains 3-4 times the number of pilots that the other place trains.

Archived