Rosen sun visors

I stopped by the FD tent at Oshkosh and asked a salesman if the sun visors on the LS would fit my SW. He said they would. I asked what they cost. He said he thought around $400 a pair. I promise you I could make them for a lot less than $400, and they looked crude and minimally useful.

Earlier, I had stopped by the Rosen booth and asked if they had sun visors for the CT. They said they were talking with FD about that very question and showed me the exact 28mm clamp that would be used on the horizontal tube that they'd use for one of their standard screen designs. In comparison with the FD visor, the Rosen visor was more substantial, could be put in more configurations and looked as easy or easier to install.

From what Rosen said, their prices would be very competitive and quite possibly even cheaper than FD.

I'm going to wait a while and hope Rosen announces a visor that fits. I guess FD would have to issue an LOA? (Since I'm going to go ELSA, I'm not worried about an LOA).

I have "test fit" a set of Rosen visors in my SW and LS using a custom machined aluminum clamp that attaches nicely to the Rosen swivel and the cross bar. They look as though they will work well, but I cannot admit to having flown with them as I don't have a LOA.

I have "test fit" a set of Rosen visors in my SW and LS using a custom machined aluminum clamp that attaches nicely to the Rosen swivel and the cross bar. They look as though they will work well, but I cannot admit to having flown with them as I don't have a LOA.

I can't admit to flying with them either but if anyone wants a copy of the sketch send me an address.

al meyer ( rookie)

I put some sun visors in my CT and after reading the posts wonder about when a LOA is required. Mine are attached with velcro and I was under the impression that since that was just a temporary installation that no LOA would be needed. Fill me in if anyone can please.

See the attached pictures. They are hinged but don't swivel, they only hinge up and down. Probably they don't do as good a job as the $400 ones but these only cost $3.88 each... and work pretty good for me.

I suppose if I do need a LOA I will have to take them out.

Larry Minch

Flying Bozo

post-440-0-09851200-1311734995_thumb.jpg

post-440-0-82930800-1311735011_thumb.jpg

post-440-0-93678400-1311735025_thumb.jpg

I put some sun visors in my CT and after reading the posts wonder about when a LOA is required. Mine are attached with velcro and I was under the impression that since that was just a temporary installation that no LOA would be needed. Fill me in if anyone can please.

See the attached pictures. They are hinged but don't swivel, they only hinge up and down. Probably they don't do as good a job as the $400 ones but these only cost $3.88 each... and work pretty good for me.

I suppose if I do need a LOA I will have to take them out.

Larry Minch

Flying Bozo

Larry,

Depending on how strict your mechanic is will determine if you need to remove them or not. I would just recommend removing them once you drop off your plane for a 100 hr or annual to avoid any hassles.

$400 does seem high, but they are the manufacture and they make the rules. :)

Thanks Tad, that is a good suggestion. They work great and help a lot as you might imagine and of course are very easy to remove and reinstall.

I read your comments the other day about the misunderstanding and I am pleased to tell you that I appreciate your comments.

Larry Minch (Flying Bozo)

• 9 months later...

Just now reading about the sun visors. I put two of the suction cup pull downs like u would use for the car side windows. I simply pull them out to the length I want and let them hang over the horizontal bar. Works for me.

• 1 month later...

Here's a simple and inexpensive visor. Made from Plexiglass, 8" by 12". Hinges are 1 inch copper pipe clamp lined with self stick felt. The felt becomes the bearing. There are couple of wing nuts to adjust tension. Everything spray painted satin black, but other Plexiglass colors are available. Total cost under $20.

Roger Kuhn ELSA

post-391-0-81247100-1341115124_thumb.jpg

post-391-0-91454100-1341115156_thumb.jpg

post-391-0-65675300-1341115177_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Archived