New Cockpit Camera

CT4ME

'Recently saw this neat, new camera... especially made for cockpit videos. Pricey ($699), but nice.

A/V-ator Camera (semi irritating video)

• HD Camera System-records in true 1080p
  • Simple to operate One Button Record
  • Integrated all-in-one, no cables running around the cockpit
  • Integrated Proprietary Camera Circuit with headset plug adapter
  • Captures noise-free ATC and intercom communications directly onto video file
  • 8 Gigabyte MicroSD card
  • Suction cup mount that will offer a vibration-resistant sturdy platform
  • Usable with any standard headset, passive and active noise reduction

It's really a custom version of the Contour HD which sells for about $249. The customization adds audio inputs so you can record radios and intercom, plus a suction mount. The camera has a 135 degree view, which is great.

'looks really nice, with great quality. 3 hours recording. It would be nice to find out just how hard it would be to add the audio inputs ourselves, and save some $$, otherwise the Contour has a built-in microphone which won't record radio.

Tim

I have an MD-80....This was taken with it...but quality is only "ok"... no chance of cockpit audio...

but otherwise a good, cheap alternative... got mine on eBay for about $50

Tim

Tim, very nice airmanship. Say, how is it mounted and controlled? How long was the flight? I enjoy seeing those places. Someday......

Thank You!

Doug

I'll take some pics of the mount, then explain it... no "control" with the md-80, you just turn it on, mount it, and fly... 'til you turn it off or it runs out of juice. Great tiny camera, with some duct tape, you could mount it just about anywhere (it's smaller than your thumb).

here are some more vids using a wingcam... 'from different folks around the globe..

Germany

Tim

I have been wanting to get one of these for Flight Training. From the web searching I have done, the Contour HD A/V-ator does appear to fit the bill. Especially the part about it plugging into the InterCom system vs having an external Mic. Good sound on the non aviation version is a problem in wind. The photo quality is great.

My complaint is the price. When the regular version is only $ 249... and they want $ 649... I am going to wait, and keep shopping. Seems like some serious, "its for aviation, pilots are rich, let's raise the price" going on. Plus this is version 1... maybe next year.

Contour has a great web site with member submitted videos. http://vholdr.com/ Oh to be 18 and bullet proof again...

Ok here is my "MacGyver" best... the md80 "wingcam" mount made from a small piece of aluminum sheet/plate. I found the 3M Command picture mounts worked good to mount the camera to the bracket and the bracket to the inside of the down-turned wingtip. Velcro may work but didn't seem to be as positive as the "click " of the picture hangers.

Diagram not to scale or necessarily in porportiontongue.gif

md80mount.jpg

md80mount1.jpg

md80mount2.jpg

Tim

about 90nm, so less than an hour. Video was edited, to remove boring and bumpy. Flight was hot day in June, noon-ish, so there was plenty of bumpy and the camera position tends to amplify the bumpy.

Tim

I bought a $16 Panavise suction cup mount that should work for virtually any camera (still or movie mode) or video recorder. I usually mount mine on upper inside window on the pilot's door. Very stable. Very good results.

See www.youtube.com and search "N293CT" and

Flying Movie 3.0

Flying Movie 8.0

Love to Fly 4.0

They are a few of my favorites.

Very nice! 'looks like the mount is very stable... I also have a panavise, but have had jittery results. I'll have to try that location. What kind of camera? I love that you don't have a propeller sync issue.

Here's an easy link to view your great videos

Tim

I just use a low-end point and shoot Canon in movie mode. If you watch these videos at one of the higher quality settings, they are plenty clear.

I have had great luck with a GoPro Motorsports HERO Camera. I use a 32 Gb SD card, mount it on the pitot tube, and get great HD video without shooting through the prop. The camera was $299 and the card another $100 (you need to use the faster versions of the cards).

Bob

N602MR

• 9 months later...

'Came up with some very simple, inexpensive, mounts for a video camera in the CT... 2 mounts, inside-n-out, for a total of about $5 (without paint).

For the outside, a simple metal bracket that connects the camera where the tie-downs connect to the wing. Cost, about $4 for a 4" corner brace (cut down to 2"x4"). The bracket is held in place by the tie-down, and a tripod-sized bolt holds the camera to the bracket. Remote allows push-button start/stop. Pics next:

outside1.jpg

outside2.jpg

For the inside, I used a 1.5"x9" piece of galvanized steel(75 cents), used to tie construction timbers together. It was bent and then had a 4" corner brace (leftover from package above) epoxied in place for extra strength. The bracket is held to the CT bulkhead (between seats) using 3M Command strips (the type for hanging pictures). These are like velcro, but "snap" into place. The whole bracket mounts or removes in a quick second. The Command strips allow for easy removal in the future. Krylon "Make it Stone" Paint (Black Granite) makes it match the CT interior paint job. Pics next:

inside1.jpg

inside2.jpg

inside3.jpg

Here are some quick videos from the mounts... the camera is a Drift HD170 Stealth. Depending on resolution, the lens has either 170 degree or 135 degree coverage. The mounts would work with most cameras. I happen to like the Drift HD170, because of the remote control.

Tim

• 1 year later...

I have a GoPro camera and would like to mount it's case under the wing. My CT2K has no tie-down ring, so I'm wondering if anyone has had any success

with the stick-on adhesive mounts that GoPro sells or with any other type of stick-on adhesive.

I have a hero 3. I only use the suction cup with the shortest mount. It has no jello effect and stays put. I have taken it up to 155 mph and it just sits there. I use the remote and or my IPAD to control it. Using the IPAD or high resolutions shortens its battery.

I bought an Nflight cam from Sporty's for $499 (and $39 extra for the suction mount). It is...like the AV-ator, an adapted Contour HD Plus. You can see some test video I shot here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRrgJJSM2Dw.

It's a good camera but it's a bit finicky from a design standpoint. While you can hook up the camera to your iPhone to control it and check the view you really have to learn its quirks and signatures to get good operation out of it every time. I can only get the suction cup mount to stick to my CTSW's windows, which means I have the camera mounted inverted and hanging from the overhead. (in the CTSW, the rear vertical panel surfaces are canted, so using one of the supplied sticky mounts doesn't point the camera where I want it.) Doing so means GPS lock up is very problematic, so I often do not get GPS data. (BTW, Nflight claimed that hanging the camera inverted wouldn't affect GPS operation even with the antenna in the slide switch...something I doubted and feel I've proven untrue.) The design of the audio input port on the bottom of the camera is poor; the little rubber door meant to keep out debris tends to push the audio plug out, so you have to make sure there's a good seat before you mount the camera. And the audio patch chord is cheap; the plug will literally pop out of the patch chord while you're inserting it if you're not careful.

There's a newer version of this camera that automatically turns on when the Record slide switch is slid forward; that will eliminate a lot of the quirkiness the current camera has with ensuring it's turned on when you launch. I'd make sure I got that one. Even so, the $499 price for the current camera is overpriced; I certainly would NOT pay $699 even for a newer version of the camera. I'd feel a lot better about a $399 price with the "no prop motion" lens, and that's with the switch mod I just mentioned.

• 2 months later...

I now have both a Hero3 and an Nflightcam +2 (the newest version). I could not get a good picture through the prop from inside the cockpit. I haven't tried the Nflight yet since I just got it, but viewing the videos it looks like it accomplishes what I want. It is also easier to hook the headset audio to. (The Hero3 requires a mini USB connector/adaptor for audio - I think they thought it was an improvement. :unsure: )

Any owners of Hero's or Nfligthcams-- can you comment on their use outside of cockpit. For example if you wanted to film video at a birthday party, anniversary, or family vacation, would you recommend either? Is it stable enough in hand? Is the microphone good enough to pick up speeches, toasts etc? txs for any feedback.

It would work, but not be the ideal camera. Problem is with the aiming. Even with the wireless stuff setup and using the tablet/phone as a viewfinder, there is a 5-10 lag. Also, the wide angle may put do a fisheye thing that won't look in in a party situation. If you narrow it down, then aiming becomes tougher.

tim

Archived