Survival Kits

PDG

Two questions have come up with reguard to survival kits.

Each of these are with regard to actual CFIT incidents.

1. How many of these have had survivors that used a kit?

2. How many would have survived if they and and used a kit?

I understand that this question flies in the face of conventional wisdom but, inquiring minds want to know!

Paul.

Sorry that I put this in the wrong forum. (Mr. Moderator please move as needed.)

Happily, no personal experience and no empirical data to share, but similar thoughts to throw out to the forum: For other than flying in remote areas, any kit, commercial or homemade, which has 'stop the bleeding' first aid capability by either chemical and or constriction means is good. And, in theory, a first aid multiplier/406mhz ELT upgrade is a worthy expense to cut down on search and rescue response time.

I have two kits I carry...one winter kit, the other a summer kit. Actually one small pack but switch out the seasonal items.

Common to both: First aid kit including two of the new clot forming bandages; two space blankets; two butane lighters; one package of vaseline soaked cotton balls for fire starters; old CD to use as a signal mirror (flexible, very shiny and the hole in the center aids in aiming); D cell powered strobe; water purification tablets; heavy duty 1 quart canteen of water; glucose tablets; 1/2 flattened roll of toilet paper; 6x6 foot plastic blaze orange marker panel; two plastic garbage bags (folded - can be used for many things including rain protection); lightweight wind shell jacket (compressed to about the size of a fist); pencil flare device with 5 flares; 4" blade folding knife; pencil and small all weather paper pad; and finally...a SPOT locator.

Summer items: Boonie hat; small container of SPF 40 sunscreen; 6x6 foot folded sheet of clear plastic (good for a pit water still); 10 bug repellent wipes (individual envelopes); extra heavy duty quart canteen of water.

Winter items: Compressed down jacket; nylon wind pants; medium weight gloves; balaclava; poncho; fleece sleep sack.

Regardless of season this all fits in one small day pack and maximum weight is just under 10 pounds in the summer, about 9 pounds in the winter. New Mexico and the Southwest offers beautiful vistas, great flying conditions...and lots of very rugged and remote country that if one goes down in can present a real survival challenge if not prepared. In addition, I carry a handheld aviation radio in the plane, wrapped and padded to hopefully survive an impact.

Like fire insurance...you hope never to use it, probably never will have to...but if you get a fire one day you don't want to be without it. Would seriously suck to survive a crash or off-airport landing in a remote site only to die waiting for rescue due to a lack of a few essential survival items.

• 5 months later...

Survival material for me came to mind when I found an ultra lightweight mesh zip-up vest at Cabela's. It only weighed a few ounces and had a nearly uncountable number of pockets. I bought this thing and started putting things in all these pockets: back-up handheld GPS, extra batteries, Jerky, a collapsable cup, water purification tablets, bandaids, liquid skin, Swiss Army Knife, and many other things.

Fully loaded it weighs about 5-6 pounds and I place it, folded up, on the baggage rack behind my head. If I ever have to walk or crawl out I just put this thing on, zip it up and get going. This way I know I have everything I can reasonably expect to carry beyond what's in my pockets and it's in the plane all the time. (Just change out the Jerky once a year.)

THAT should be a next purchase (after my 100 hour inspection). I've been harping to Garmin to get into the PLB market to no avail yet. I know nothing about the other brands and have just procrastinated because of it. What do you like?

I vote with the "wear it" crowd. I have a light vest with many pockets, and am always finding something new to carry. I don't wear it when I'm flying locally... but do when flying long distance, especially in Mexico. Many of us have SPOTs, and mine is on and tracking for almost every flight. Here's an old thread on the merits of PLB/Spot, on the old forum - http://www.ctflyer.com/ctsw-general-discussion/1049-plb.html

Use it while you're flying... keep a pocket ready for it in the vest...

http://ctflier.com/index.php?/topic/148-mounting-the-spot/page__p__614__hl__%2Bspot+%2Bmount

Tim

Archived