Your fire extinguisher has a time limit

In the FD manual it says to be careful and to not exceed the fire extinguisher time limit. If you have a 2005-2008 I would say you probably qualify and could use a newer one. Nothing worse than to have a fire and push the button on the extinguisher and have it just sit there, then it's only good for throwing at woodpeckers banging holes in your trees. This extinguisher was equal to a 2.5 B-C and I would recommend and upgrade to a 5 B-C. They are very inexpensive now days and can be purchased almost anywhere. A good place to keep it so you can get it in a panicked hurry is in the footwell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biOC_7u0GJg

I just ordered two of the tundra extinguishers -- the FD approved replacement per fleet LOA -- from first alert. They come in a box of two. They arrived with an expiration date of 12/31/12. I guess they had been sitting on the shelf a while! Retailers locally were saying the company had pulled it off the market. I guess we need a new approved replacement ! WF

Hi Wayne,

There are tons of extinguishers on the market so a fleet approval probably won't happen. I'm not sure how they wold see an individual one since they can't see it and try it. I looked at them and for me the First Alert Auto 5 (5 B-C) would be the one I would buy. When fighting fire there is no such thing as being too well prepared, but don't be the person that isn't ready. The problem with fire extinguishers is that the public isn't trained well to use them so they use and need 3-6 times more extinguishing agent to put out a specific fire.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Had one that came with a 2008 sitting around that got exchanged but never thrown away. I pushed the button. I got a little spritz and that's it. Yep, that would have sucked in a fire!

To be honest though, I'm surprised halon/halotron isn't recommended. It takes VERY LITTLE halon/halotron to put out a fire, far better than most other types of extinguishers. It sucks the oxygen out of the air so the fire can't burn.

Haylon has always worked better in closed environments which isn't good for humans. It doesn't leave a residue and it's a bit harder to be good with over a powder. Powdered extinguishers are a little easier to use and can blanket an fire area some, but it is a powder and leaves a residue. The extinguishers that cam with the CT's were around a 2.5 B-C. I use a 5 B-C in my plane. Doesn't take up any more space and the last thing with an extinguisher you want is to run out especially if you fighting off flames in the air with hopes of getting to the ground before they say the BBQ ribs are ready.  :laughter-3293:

Hi Mike,

So long as you can vent in enough fresh air it isn't a problem or if you didn't use the whole thing. The issue with that is you then you delete the effect of the extinguisher because that's it's purpose. It removes O2 and takes away one side of the fire triangle that supports combustion. This type of extinguisher works well in enclosed areas and or when fires are small (due to our extinguisher size). This type of extinguisher can be a good choice if you don't want any residue left after use like on sensitive electrical circuitry. Neither extinguisher is going to be fun on the lungs in an enclosed environment. Sitting on the ramp no problems.  The whole idea with an extinguisher is to first stop whatever is feeding the fire, electrical energy or liquid fed. Then knock down the flames and allow it too cool below its ignition temp. Many times you need extra extinguishing agent because fires do reignite and that's my one complaint with our factory issue small extinguisher.

For me if I have to use an extinguisher to save my plane of my hide a little powder residue is the last thing I care about. In this case it's about winning the battle and not coming in second place.

During my annual inspection last week with Roger, he was kind enough to point out to me that my CT fire extinguisher was NINE years old and perhaps the performance would be inadequate if needed.  Point Taken.  He suggested a 5BC extinguisher to replace the 2.5BC unit behind the seat.  As this new unit was bigger around Roger suggested I store it in the storage space in the floor just in front of my seat ensuring easy access if needed.

I found the best deal at the Home Depot website, with a Kidde 5BC unit for $12.88 plus tax.  My usual source for most everything (Amazon) wanted to sell six of these for $199.  I decided one would suffice.  Copy and paste the link below if you are interested.  Order it on-line and pick it up at the HD Customer Service Desk when it comes in about a week later.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kidde-5-B-C-Fire-Extinguisher-21005944N/205753440

If they do not specify a specific type, brand and size or a part number then no LOA is needed. None of this is in my manuals. You're only supposed to have one. 

file:///C:/Users/Roger's%20PC/Desktop/091126%20FD%20MA%20for%20first%20alert%20Tundra%20extinguisher%20installatio.pdf

Someone may have ask and they obliged.

Has anyone found a part number for a fire extinguisher in their manuals or a description in their POH?

Thanks Roger. I guess I'll change out my 2004 with the 5BC Ron found. Thanks Ron.

Corey, I know it sounds morbid, but fire is the one thing I'm most worried about. It seems like with our chute we are almost invincible... control failure, engine failure almost anywhere, structural failure, etc. But if you pull the chute while your on fire, your toast (sorry).

So... fuel-OFF, master-OFF, put the fire out quick with the little extinguisher and land immediately. But if the little extinguisher doesn't work things get ugly... induce a spin then pull the chute low? or kick out low and crash such that you can still get yourself away from the plane?

Mike Koerner

Corey, I know it sounds morbid, but fire is the one thing I'm most worried about. It seems like with our chute we are almost invincible... control failure, engine failure almost anywhere, structural failure, etc. But if you pull the chute while your on fire, your toast (sorry).

My message basically meant don't worry about oxygen in the air or about it fanning the flames. The fire is far worse of a concern (carbon monoxide release and flourines from burning insulation, for one!), get it put out!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived