Tire life

207WF

I had another flat today. It was my fault, as I let the tire wear too far. I had no idea how thin they are when the treads disappear! I replaced it with a spare tire and tube and plan to order new rubber all the way around tomorrow.

Looking back in the records, it seems that I am getting about 150 hours or one year on a set of main tires. The nose wheel seems to last about twice as long (but, it hardly ever touches the ground - :lol:). Anyway, I was wondering what others are getting.

I have the small tires, running desser 6 ply, 400-6 on the mains and 400-4 on the nose.

WF

• 4 weeks later...

Just replaced the 6.00x6 six ply Condor main gear tires on my 2006 CTsw (Tundra gear). The had 670 landings on them and were pretty thin. Air pressure was checked regularly and maintained at 31 psi. No punctures, no flats. Factory stock wheels and brakes. Based on universally good feedback, I replaced them with Desser Monster retreads. Not that the Condors weren't good, but, I do a lot of t/o and landings.

My experience with the Desser monster 600X6 tires is similar to Jim. I'm over 600 landings and over 200 hours and still really don't see any significant wear on the tires. I installed the Matco wheels and brakes and took a lot of time teaking the Matco axles to insure that the toe setting and camber setting was correct. If you are getting early tire wear, I would recommend that you inspect your main gear for high toe setting and camber setting.

Hey all you CTSW guys,

There was a run of CTSW's that had the toe set in from the factory which chewed MLG tires in no time. My previous employer and I came up with a mod and have the LOA for fixing this. I did them all and seems like I did around 20 or so. Take a look at your MLG and see if they are "toed in" a little bit. After I did this mod, the tires would last over 400 hours.

call me with any questions

• 1 month later...

I've been running the 6.00x6 6ply Desser Monster Tires for about 200hrs now and just in the last 25hrs have I been able to start to detect wear. It amazes me how they can make a tire that tough considering we went thou 4 sets of the Aero Classics in the first 800hrs before switching! Its a stiff tire but I recommend them. I have a few customers who have been getting really good life out of the 6.00x6 6ply Aero Trainers but the Monsters last longer and are a little cheaper.

I've been running the 6.00x6 6ply Desser Monster Tires for about 200hrs now and just in the last 25hrs have I been able to start to detect wear. It amazes me how they can make a tire that tough considering we went thou 4 sets of the Aero Classics in the first 800hrs before switching! Its a stiff tire but I recommend them. I have a few customers who have been getting really good life out of the 6.00x6 6ply Aero Trainers but the Monsters last longer and are a little cheaper.

I second this note.

Same experience from me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wayne,

No 4.00-6 monster, that would be a mini monster. unsure.gif. They only come in the 6.00-6. They do however make an LSA 4.00-6 6 ply tire which many of us use for a front tire for those that have the tundra tires and for the mains on the smaller main tire CT's..

• 3 years later...

I have the Marc Ingegno wheels on a CTLS and use the 400-6 tires on the mains. Is the Aero Classic 400-6 8 ply premium tire superior and will it fit the Italian wheel and stock CTLS fairing? I assume the 600-6 regular or monster tires would not fit the wheel or fairing.

I use the Aero Classic 4.00x6 6ply tire. I do flight training with my airplane, and have no issues with wear or any other problems with this tire. Make sure you get the heavy duty Leak Guard tubes to go along with which ever tire you choose.

I see your in the Chicago area. I am a Flight Design service center located in Southern IL. About 200 miles South of Chicago.

I would stick with the 4.00-6 6 plys. The 8 plys require too much pressure to keep them round and from turning on the wheel.

My 4.00-6 tire's were wearing excessively. Switching to Matco wheels & brakes helped but didn't entirely fix the issue. My last set of 6 ply tires lasted 40 hours and about 120-150 landings. I switched to 8 ply tires to get more life from a set. The 8 plays lasted over 80 hrs...but the do ride much harsher and require 45psi.

I have since changed the shim settings on the Matco wheels, and switched back to 6 ply tires. I'm hopeful things will be improved.

I'd say the 8 ply tires can buy additional life if you are having excessive tire wear, but the 6 ply tires are preferable in all other regards.

My 4.00-6 tire's were wearing excessively. Switching to Matco wheels & brakes helped but didn't entirely fix the issue. My last set of 6 ply tires lasted 40 hours and about 120-150 landings. I switched to 8 ply tires to get more life from a set. The 8 plays lasted over 80 hrs...but the do ride much harsher and require 45psi.

I have since changed the shim settings on the Matco wheels, and switched back to 6 ply tires. I'm hopeful things will be improved.

I'd say the 8 ply tires can buy additional life if you are having excessive tire wear, but the 6 ply tires are preferable in all other regards.

Andy, you need to do one or both of two things. 1. Quit landing crooked. 2. Fix your landing gear.

My experience with Matco's agrees with comments.  After installing Matco wheels and axles (600-6 6ply) and shimming for toe and camber, now with over 1,500 landings my tires still show good tread.  You should find that your poor tire wear is corrected by shimming Andy.

Andy,

Something is wrong.

Different plane, but in my heavier Sky Arrow with smaller wheels (5.00x5, 4 ply rating), I've replaced the tires exactly once in 410 hours.

You should be getting much more life out of your tires.

I agree with all of you guys.  :)

I originally had the Matcos shimmed to adjust out some toe in and negative camber (wheels rolling on the outsides), but you can't max out either one doing it that way, because you are only allowed two washers of shimming per bolt.

For my new scheme, I decided to leave toe in alone and max out the positive camber -- I put two washers on both lower bolts of each wheel.  Visually, and measured with a square, the wheels now sit much "straighter".  It's still too early to tell (just put the new tires on a couple of weeks ago), but I'm hoping this will solve the problem.  If not I might have to dip deeper into what's going on.  So far it looks pretty good.

Tom, I think if I was landing that crooked that consistently, the screeching noises and the airplane skipping sideways on landing would clue me in.  ;)  

You are not getting the tire wear you should.  I have original factory tundras on mine and over 250 hrs and they show no sign of wear.

I use the Aero Classic 4.00x6 6ply tire. I do flight training with my airplane, and have no issues with wear or any other problems with this tire. Make sure you get the heavy duty Leak Guard tubes to go along with which ever tire you choose.

I see your in the Chicago area. I am a Flight Design service center located in Southern IL. About 200 miles South of Chicago.

I would stick with the 4.00-6  6 plys. The 8 plys require too much pressure to keep them round and from turning on the wheel.

Thanks, plan to stick with the 4.00 - 6, 6 ply. Will need to make a visit sometime Tom.

Archived