LiFeP04 Battery?

Scotsman58

I just noticed on the FD USA website that they are now listing as an option (for the CTLS) a "lightweight LiFeP high capacity battery with charger." I assume "LiFeP" means "LiFeP04," which would be a lithium phosphate chemistry. Anybody on the forum know anything about these? Not particularly cheap at $879. I assume that they offer significantly greater energy density than the current battery.

• 1 year later...

This is the one you would want to use: LFX18L1-BS12 as it is almost the same size and has about the same CCA as the PC310 saving 4lbs and doubling the Ahr capacity. I am about to retrofit one of these myself as it is designed to function as a Pb replacement with built in charge control Nice battery with rave reviews. LOA required for all you SLSA types.

http://www.shoraipow...l/it.A/id.98/.f

http://www.amazon.co...ds=lfx18a1-bs12

Kurt, we've discussed "smart" chargers (maintainers) recently and these have desulphating. Would these be ok to use? Would one just go back to a standard charger for the Li battery? Are there any standard rules for charging lithium batteries? Like "X amps @ "X" hours?" based on the voltage of the battery?

These batteries have their own protection/ Pb adaptor circuits built in so they work well with ordinary ~13.8V Pb flat voltage chargers which is essentially what the ROTAX system is. The weird high current charge/discharge cycles that do de-sulphation are bad for cells like this though. In fact, the one achilles heal of these of batteries is that if you let them drop well below 12V by say leaving the master on overnight, they will be completely ruined. Get a cheap charger like a battery maintainer that doesn't brag about desulphation and you will be fine. 14.4V is what you want to charge to which is an ordinary Pb SLA battery. THe AGM chargers like to drive higher, 14.7V so you don't want to use the charger optimised for the PC310 anyway. But you don't need to use a maintainer with these. This battery has twice the capacity and 1/3rd the self-discharge rate. You could leave the plane un-run for 6 months and it would crank over fine.

It makes sense that they would need their own charge converters since they will be charged by the on-board system. My question came from flying R/C where lithium batteries need to be charged in a different manner. Sounds like the way to go - especially with very little price difference. I'd be curious if the LOA causes anyone a problem - don't know why it should.

The revised REMOS maintenance manual (just got it today) says...

2.2.5 Battery

The installed battery needs no further servicing, except checking cable connections. It is important to

check battery voltage when the aircraft is out of service for more than two weeks. Battery voltage has

to maintain at least 12.0 volts without engine running and all equipment switched off, master switch in

"off" position (regular voltage 12.5 volts). If voltage does indicate 12.2 volts or less it has to be charged

and maintained.

Lead batteries may be charged with conventional battery charger suitable for this type of batteries.

Newer aircraft are equipped with LiFePo4 batteries. This type of battery needs a special type of

charger. Those chargers are mostly sold for RC-airplanes. To avoid damage to the battery, do not use

inappropriate or inexpensive chargers. Contact REMOS for recommendations of appropriate charging

systems.

I wouldn't consider Remos much of an authority on batteries though. Their comments on Li batteries are specious. You would do much better to follow the recommendations from Shorai on battery chargers. Without a big parasitic draw, the LiFePO4 battery can sit for a year and still crank.

Archived