IFLY 700 7" GPS OVER SECTIONALS

TAYLOR ALLEGRO

He's actually right on that... sort of. Instrument flight is something that is very restrictive. In a way, it's like saying "you're not allowed to do anything except x,y,z". IFR requires following a flight plan, which in turn, requires a navigation route. Flying direct is an allowed navigation route (RNAV), as long as the aircraft is equipped to put in /G in the equipment box. I know a lot of people put that in anyways with things like x96 GPSs, but it's really supposed to be for panel mounted GPSs such as the 430 (an x96 gps is not considered panel mounted, regardless of what kind of mounting you actually use). That equipment box tells ATC what capabilities you have.

It's not that there is a FAR that prohibits navigation using a portable, it's just there is no provision that allows it. Subtle difference, but might become important when the part 23 rewrite comes out.

I think I just noticed a reg change.

I could have sworn the equipment required for IFR included "Navigation equipment appropriate to the ground facility to be used", or words to that effect.

That meant a VOR or ADF or substitute was required, since GPS does not use ground facilities (for its primary input).

Just looked to confirm my memory, and 91.205 now says "Two-way radio communication and navigation equipment suitable for the route to be flown."

I think that's new language, that would now allow GPS standalone. Nothing in the reg says the equipment must meet any standard, but I would imagine that's covered elsewhere.

Am I right?

The "equipment suitable" part is the gotcha. That means, permanently installed equipment in the airplane. Numerous publications exist from the FAA stating units designed as portables are not considered permanent, regardless of fixtures.

As for standards: good question, as experimental throws a wrench in those works.

Dick,

I can't speak to the ADS-B interface (I don't have it yet, let me know how you like the SkyGuard) but I have been flying with an iFly 740 since they first came out. I love it. I like the fact that it includes actual FAA charts, not just a vector representation. I like the brighter screen and faster refresh that it provides compared to my 720. The touch screen works better too.

I keep the 740 permanently mounted on the panel and wired to the plane. There's no need to worry about battery life.

For updates I just just change out the SD card. I have two cards so there is always one in the unit - no chance of my forgetting it and being tempted to fly without charts (though if I forget to update the exchange card, or leave it at home before a flight, I wont have current TFR or weather data).

I also have a cheap tablet that runs the same software both as a backup and to keep my passenger entertained... and trained to use the unit in case I ever need their help. The tablet gets cellular weather and TFR updates in flight (when in cell range) and whenever we land. Adventure Pilot includes the tablet and a phone version with your subscription. The data subscription is much cheaper than Garmin's or anyone else.

The only negative comment I have is that it does not include Stadium TFRs. These are difficult to come by. The FAA does not publish them the same as they do for all the other TFRs. Apparently ForeFlight and somebody else figures out where and when all the games are and plots the 3 mile ring around them during that time. That must be a lot of work. Adventure Pilot is a small company. They don't do it. This may seem like a minor detail but I got snagged by it while taking my sister-in-law sightseeing flight around Minneapolis a couple months ago. I was supposed to stay clear of Target Stadium but am not familiar with the area. I was maneuvering to stay clear of the more prominent Viking Stadium instead. I never saw the baseball stadium. I'm expecting the FAA to issue a "remedy" soon. Its my first ever infraction. Maybe they'll go easy on me.

Mike Koerner

Hi Mike.  Thanks for the comments - especially relevant to me since you are using the 740.  As you do, I will also be using my Galaxy 8" android tablet with 4G cell as backup for Wx & traffic, should my iFly 740 stop working.  I opted for the additional software which provides wireless link for 3 devices so the iFly software will wirelessly link my tablet with the iFly 740.  My understanding is if I make a flight plan on my tablet, this flight plan is automatically fed into the iFly 740 GPS and visa-versa.  Due to this., I should have the option of inputting data from the i'Fly program on my tablet into the iFly 740 for real time weather and airport conditions,  should my ADS-B connection fail.

TFR info for stadiums or large public gatherings is a problem for us.  Also presidential TFR's.  They can pop up and not be known or like your case, multiple stadiums and who can tell which one is active?  Seems that iiFly provides stadium TFR's?  Personally, I have not run across a TFR while using my tablet with the iFly GPS program so cannot confirm.  Do see that this is discussed in their forum and it appears stadium TFR is available on iFly.

I think I just noticed a reg change.

I could have sworn the equipment required for IFR included "Navigation equipment appropriate to the ground facility to be used", or words to that effect.

That meant a VOR or ADF or substitute was required, since GPS does not use ground facilities (for its primary input).

Just looked to confirm my memory, and 91.205 now says "Two-way radio communication and navigation equipment suitable for the route to be flown."

I think that's new language, that would now allow GPS standalone. Nothing in the reg says the equipment must meet any standard, but I would imagine that's covered elsewhere.

Am I right?

IFR requires not just permanent equipment in the panel connected to the aircraft electrical system but if using GPS it must be RAIM capable dual GPS/WAAS.

Guest ctdriver2015

I think most people flying Flight Design LSA's are flying VFR.  You can use anything you want to navigate including paper charts or cell phones, so why the concern about what's required for IFR?  The 2020 ADS-B mandate is for ADS-B out only, so again, you can use anything you want to navigate VFR.

The beauty of using tablets is that you can always have current charts and aren't dependent upon Flight Design or some other manufacturer.

TFR info for stadiums or large public gatherings is a problem for us.  Also presidential TFR's.  They can pop up and not be known or like your case, multiple stadiums and who can tell which one is active?  Seems that iiFly provides stadium TFR's?  Personally, I have not run across a TFR while using my tablet with the iFly GPS program so cannot confirm.  Do see that this is discussed in their forum and it appears stadium TFR is available on iFly.

For the software that I have used (ForeFlight, Garmin Pilot, etc), stadium TFRs are marked, but are not marked active/inactive based on when games are being played.  I think if you plan to fly through a stadium TFR area, it's an exercise for the pilot to determine if the TFR is actually hot or not.  You can call flight services or be on flight following and ask for current information.

I usually just avoid the TFR areas unless I know they are are cold and I have a passenger that wants to see, for example, the UGA stadium from the air.

IFR requires not just permanent equipment in the panel connected to the aircraft electrical system but if using GPS it must be RAIM capable dual GPS/WAAS.

That may be true for "primary navigation" but you can use an iPad, portable GPS device, or anything else at all as "supplemental information".

That may be true for "primary navigation"...

I don't think it is...

The reg simply says "...navigation equipment suitable for the route to be flown"

If somewhere it says that dual GPS and/or WAAS is required for IFR, I'd like to be pointed to the regulation for my own edification.

If it is a regulation, it must be fairly new - I flew all over the US in my Tiger with a single, non-WAAS Garmin 430.

Thanks.

Dick,

That inter-device communication sounds great. Generally we take the tablet into the motel each night and set up the flight plan for the next day. But I didn't know I could the flight plan, or weather and TFR's, from the tablet re to panel-mounted 740. I got get on the ball.

Mike Koerner

Hi Mike.  Shane Woodson said up to 3 devices can be linked with iFly software.  He did tell me that a flight plan that was done on my tablet can be sent to the iFly GPS - and I assume if  a plan is done on the 740 it can be sent to the tablet but not sure on this.  I believe that there is a software upgrade needed to link  devices and I think that this costs about $20?  As I've stated before, Shane has always welcomed my questions when I call and has always been able to answer these.  If you have any questions, give him a call at the number I've posted.

iFly update.  Got my package today.  iFly 740 and SkyGuard.  The SkyGuard transceiver unit is much smaller than I imagined it would be.  About  8" x 3 x 2"   A pleasant surprise - smaller is better.  The i'Fly 740 came with a ram mount with optional suction attachment for smooth surfaces.  This has a custom adapter which clicks into the back of the 740.  Nice.  The original plan was to remove my Garmin 495 and install the 740 in it's place.  Due to the thinness of the 740 and the nice ram mount, I may find a spot to mount the 740 with the ram attachment bolted to a spot on my mushroom and leave my 495 as is and won't tear up the center panel.  Had a problem getting the 740 to connect to my home Wifi which was needed to set up the 740.  Called Adventure Pilot and was walked thru the WiFi setup by a nice lady named Sara.  She also walked me thru the communication setup between the 740 and other devices.  I can confirm that one can set up any one of three devices to be the "main" unit which will send flight plans to the other devices.  Also can easily move the "main" control to another device.  Very simple and straight forward. So far, so good.  Next comes the installation and setup of the ADS-B in my CT.

Archived