Jump to content

Olav

Members
  • Content count

    126
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    3

About Olav

  • Rank
    Advanced Member
  • Birthday 10/28/1951

Profile Information

  • Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
  • Interests
    Flying; backpacking; camping; fly fishing; boating; white water rafting; motorcycling; adventure travel (Mt. Kilimanjaro and Mt. Meru climbs, Tanzania, East Africa; Alta Via No. 1 Route trek , Italian Dolomites; Camino de Santiago ("Way of St. James") trek, Spain; Grand Canyon rafting (multiple times with more to come!).
  • Gender
    Male

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Olav

    11th Annual CT/LSA Fly-in, Page AZ Oct 17-21

    Finally the wx looks like it cleared up there. Breaking up in northern New Mexico finally also. Albuquerque had three days of high wind, low ceilings, and rain/snow showers. Worst October I have seen here in my 36 years living here. Next year in Page!!!
  2. Olav

    11th Annual CT/LSA Fly-in, Page AZ Oct 17-21

    We had a fatal crash this afternoon late just a few miles from my home base, KAEG here in Albuquerque. Cessna 182 based at KAEG and on approach to the airport reported icing and power loss to the tower just before contact lost. From the overhead view from a local tv station helo, it hit slightly nose down and very hard and while the parts are all there, it is totally crumpled. Only left about a 75 - 100 foot skid mark in the dirt and ended up with the nose pointed back about 135 degrees out from the skid trail. Totally destroyed. Man and woman died on impact. Conditions here were (and continue) winds 26 gusting 35, low overcast, and intermittent mixed snow and rain showers. No ID yet but I'm sure I know who the pilot is, or at least I know of him...it's not a big airport and, as is the case for most of us at our respective home fields, we pretty much get to know each other. There will be some somberness at the Bombing Range Cafe at KAEG. And this is a sad reminder of why we cancelled the Fly-in. These unusual October conditions across the lower Four Corners created too much potential for risk. Fly safe everyone. We will start planning for the 2019 Page CT and Light Sport Fly-in. Dates to be set shortly. While these conditions and the cancellation are discouraging, flight safety is THE most important criterion in the planning. And this was the first time in 11 years that we had a weather cancellation. Odds are that "normal" October conditions (balmy, calm, clear) will be the case next year. Finally, if anyone has a problem with a cancellation at the Clarion, let me know. I spoke with the GM this afternoon and was assured that no one will be held accountable for a non-arrival under these circumstances. In fact, she had her staff calling individuals they had not heard from to find out if they want to cancel. Still, to be safe...call and cancel. Be sure to identify that you are part of the CT Pilot Group. Olav
  3. Olav

    11th Annual CT/LSA Fly-in, Page AZ Oct 17-21

    Yup...your return trip is still the epic one we talk about! 😁 You definitely earned the Long Flight merit badge for that one. 😂 Here in the Southwest our spring is nothing but wind, summers are high density altitude with frequent afternoon t'storms, and then along comes October...and - usually - calm, balmy, smooth wonderful flying days. Not this year though. Every region has its particular seasonality weather to confound flying. Sure hope you can make it next year. You sure have earned a trip after being knocked out of it for 3 years now.
  4. Olav

    11th Annual CT/LSA Fly-in, Page AZ Oct 17-21

    Late spring in the Southwest is not good due to almost daily, very strong southwesterly winds from mid-April through early to mid-June. September might be a possibility though it is generally still hot - mid to high 80s - in Page meaning high density altitude issues especially at many of our sightseeing/breakfast stops plus thermal turbulence starting early. But we can sound everyone out on that as an option. This is very frustrating for everyone and Tim and I can only stress that we thought this through carefully and finally decided to scrub based on flight safety above all other considerations. A number of our pilots are low time, and/or new to Light Sport. Few have IFR ratings or experience which even if our planes are not IFR certified the rating and experience at least adds significantly to capability for those with that...and without the chance of inadvertent flight into IMC and a bad outcome under the conditions right now increase. We will start planning for next year and will consider alternative dates. But historically, October is far and away the best month for flying conditions here in the Southwest...this year a notable - and first time - exception. It doesn't do much good to plan for good seasonal conditions elsewhere if the Page destination seasonal conditions are not.
  5. Olav

    11th Annual CT/LSA Fly-in, Page AZ Oct 17-21

    I just spoke with Chris at Classic FBO and told her that while the official event is cancelled a few planes may still fly in.
  6. Olav

    11th Annual CT/LSA Fly-in, Page AZ Oct 17-21

    ADDENDUM TO URGENT NOTICE For anyone who decides to still continue on to Page on their own, please advise Olav and Tim with a note here or a call. Again, sorry for this but weather is what it is and unfortunately we can't custom order it! Safety is paramount and trumps all else. We will do the Page CT and Light Sport Fly-in again next year. October 2019 dates to be determined.
  7. Olav

    11th Annual CT/LSA Fly-in, Page AZ Oct 17-21

    URGENT NOTICE DUE TO WEATHER ISSUES IN THE FOUR CORNERS AND EASTWARDS THE 2018 CT AND LIGHT SPORT FLY-IN IS CANCELLED AS AN ORGANIZED EVENT. Clarion Inn cancellation policy is 6pm day of arrival. Folks, sorry for this...and if anyone wants to fly on in on their own please do so. However, prog for New Mexico, SW Colorado, SE Utah, and Northern Arizona for Wednesday is not good. And while it may not turn out to be as bad as predicted we do not want to put anyone at risk. Additionally, the weather in Page looks to be unsettled during the course of the fly-in. This is very unusual weather for the Southwest and this is the first time we have had to cancel the event due to weather. It looks like even the organizers (Olav and Tim) are going to have a hard time getting out on Wednesday...Olav due to high wind and Tim due to predicted rain/snow MVFR in northern Arizona. ALL ATTENDEES PLEASE RESPOND TO OLAV AND TIM WHEN YOU READ THIS. WE ARE FOLLOWING UP THIS FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT WITH INDIVIDUAL CALLS.
  8. Olav

    11th Annual CT/LSA Fly-in, Page AZ Oct 17-21

    Ha! Yup...Darryl is going to brave it!
  9. Olav

    11th Annual CT/LSA Fly-in, Page AZ Oct 17-21

    The Bryce Canyon Pre-Event is officially cancelled. We will still do group sightseeing flights to Bryce Canyon and its airport later this week for breakfast at Ruby's Inn as part of the Page Fly-in. Olav
  10. Olav

    11th Annual CT/LSA Fly-in, Page AZ Oct 17-21

    Yeah, this is unusual. Latest Accuweather for Bryce for Monday night is a low of 18 degrees! I spoke with Ty Ramsey, the KBCE Airport Manager this evening and told him few if any folks would be coming in for the pre-event now. But that he should be seeing a flight of 3 - 6 planes each morning during the Page Fly-in itself as folks flew in for breakfast...unless of course the weather gods decide to dump on us for that part of the fly in also! And that we would try for the pre-event again next year. Tough October. Olav
  11. Olav

    11th Annual CT/LSA Fly-in, Page AZ Oct 17-21

    OK. Follow up phone call to Ruby's Inn (435) 834-5341 got through to someone who seemed to know what to do and cancelled my individual reservation in the Pilot Fly-in Group.
  12. Olav

    11th Annual CT/LSA Fly-in, Page AZ Oct 17-21

    For folks that were/are planning on the Pre-event at Bryce it now appears that only 3 planes as of now will be going in there. Reason: Weather. I just cancelled my reservation for both Monday and Tuesday at Ruby's Inn as New Mexico is under a winter weather advisory starting this evening late through Monday with wind, snow, and MVFR to IFR conditions. The rooms at Ruby's were set up under a group reservation "Pilot Fly-in". FYI - if you need to cancel you might run into the same issue I did...the girl who answered said she could not cancel by phone as it was a group reservation (huh?!) and to email my cancel request to: Brycefits@gmail.com. I did but will follow up once again with a phone call...maybe will speak to someone who is more helpful. Sorry that our long planned pre-event is fizzling. Weather dictates our flying of course. Still looking to see you all in Page. Olav
  13. Olav

    11th Annual CT/LSA Fly-in, Page AZ Oct 17-21

    This is the 2018 Annual Page CT and Light Sport Fly-in Roster as of this evening. Subject to change! Please advise by email or calling me regarding information for your name where you see blanks or any error(s). Olav Bergmann, Lee ("AzLeeJay") & Christine Phoenix, AZ RV-12 253VA (253) 921-0477 Bryce and Page Bertram, Bill & Jody Shiocton, Wisconsin CTSW N499CT (920) 843-1483 Bryce and Page Carlson, Ted & Kurt Nashville, TN CTSW N536CT (615) 495-1445 tjcarlson@bellsouth.net Page only DJ Todd & Fran Mesa, AZ CTLS N172LM ? djtodd@yahoo.com Bryce and Page Ferson, Wayne Hermosa Beach, CA CTSW N207WF (310) 606-0214 Page only Greer, Tim Phoenix, AZ CTSW N531CT (480) 232-1101 tgreer@azctflyer.com Page only Grinolds, Tom & Rich Turner ? CTLS N771TX (425) 985-8866 Page only Harsch, Walt & Billie Green Valley, AZ CTLSi N814WB ? Page only Ince, Bill ("Flying Monkey") Clearwater, Florida CTSW N663CT (727) 424-9004 Page only Jefts, Duane & Larry Tucson, AZ CTLS N413L (636) 751-3786 ? Johnsen, John-Olav ("Olav") & Lisa Albuquerque, NM CTSW N44BZ (505) 250-8417 olav51@icloud.com Bryce and Page Kreienkamp, Ron & Jan Camp Verde, AZ CTLSi N23RJ (314) 606-7044 ron@loretel.com Bryce and Page Langan, John & Linda Santa Barbara, CA Sportstar N70MX (805) 698-5656 jlangan@compsensor.com Page only Leathers, Brian Phoenix, AZ Driving n/a (623) 512-3306 Page Only Lee, Scott Moline, IL CTLS N909KM (563) 320-1889 Page Only Liebold, Torsten & Elizabeth Tucson, AZ RV-12 N128TL (520) 955-0171 Page Only McEvoy, Peter ("TigerBait") & RoLayne Phoenix, AZ CTSW N259SW (480) 818-3819 Bryce and Page Olmedo, John & Hollie Bountiful, Utah CTSW ? (801) 668-3288 olmedo.john@yahoo.com Bryce and Page Roberts, Gary Marana, AZ Siai Marchetti N2174B (520) 307-7231 Page Only Solove, Gregg Albuquerque, NM CTLS N391CT (505) 681-7189 Bryce and Page Swenson, Darryl & Carol Merrifield Friday Harbor, WA Diamond DA40NG 172L (206) 999-8185 darrylswenson@gmail.com ? Wade, Phil & Brian Caplan Belleville, MI CTLS N816W (313) 570-6810 816wade@gmail.com Page Only Walker, Andy Winder, GA CTSW N509CT (706) 461-4713 Page only Welch, Phillip Mimbres, NM CTSW N770L (575) 654-0985 Page only Wren, Rodney & Kathy Hugo, OK Kitfox SS7 N357RW (580) 513-8153 Page only Young, Mike & Kate Anderson Rogers, AR CTSW N534CT (209) 597-0163 Bryce and Page
  14. Olav

    11th Annual CT/LSA Fly-in, Page AZ Oct 17-21

    Sorry to hear it John. We will miss you and hope to see you there next year.
  15. Olav

    11th Annual CT/LSA Fly-in, Page AZ Oct 17-21

    NOTE FOR BRYCE CANYON AIRPORT PRE-EVENT ATTENDEES: Wx Monday morning 15OCT for Albuquerque at this point looks ok, barely, for my departure early enough to arrive at KBCE by noon though like all longer term progs that is certainly changeable one way or the other. HOWEVER, if I am delayed and not there when you arrive please call Ruby's Inn at (435) 834-5341 to request the shuttle. ALSO...please text me at (505) 250-8417 when you arrive and advise your hotel room number so I can coordinate things with everyone for the evening. Thanks. Olav
×