Jump to content

Tom Baker

  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


About Tom Baker

Profile Information

  • Location
  • Interests
  • Gender
  1. CTLS vs CTSW

    Dick, being a dealer I have worked many shows through the years. I have seen the CTLE up close and personal too. Outwardly it looks the same as any other CTLS. I do know that it has modifications to the wing. I am not certain that they are just for hard points to mount equipment. There could be other changes that are not visible externally.
  2. CTSW fuel cap O-ring binding

    The O-ring doesn't get into the threads, but rather the mating surface above the threads. Just a dab of engine oil off the dipstick will help for a while.. You will need to reapply when it gets sticky again.
  3. CTLS vs CTSW

    Ed, I have quite a bit of Skyhawk time. I flew some buried telephone cable as a young commercial pilot. At one point I was putting in around 18 hours a week. I always took off with full fuel, and mostly was by myself. Even with wing loadings being closer the feel is different between the two airplanes.
  4. CTLS vs CTSW

    Andy, there is almost 2 pounds per square foot difference between a Cessna 172 and a CTSW on wing loading. The Cessna has about a 12% higher wing loading than the CT. While that may not seem like much it is pretty significant. This is based on wing area compared to gross weight. ( I used the numbers for the 172 that popped up on Wikipedia). Mass has to do with the overall size of the airplane compared to weight, not just wing loading. For example a Cassutt racer has a wing loading similar to a CT, but the overall package of the airplane is smaller. The smaller size compared to weight gives it more mass. I'm not trying to compare the CT to every model of aircraft. I was simply disagreeing with your assertion that metal airplanes are heavier, and provided an example to make my point. Personally based on my experience I don't necessarily find metal airplanes to be heavier as group. I don't give as much credence to the aircraft construction material of choice being the determining factor in aircraft weight as you. The airplane I mentioned earlier is not a one off exception, there are other metal airplanes that are as light or lighter than a CT. There are also several fabric airplanes that are heavier, not just an occasional exception to the rule. Carbon Cub, Legend Cub, and American Champion Champ to name a few. Even if you factor in the weight difference of the engines they are still heavier.
  5. Power loss in flight

    CTSW or CTLS?
  6. CTLS vs CTSW

    Dick, I would not recommend using the gross weight of an airplane with floats as justification that the same airplane without floats can be flown at the same weight. The reason for the increased weight of an airplane with floats is because in flight the floats are producing lift. It is the fact that the floats are helping support their own weight in flight that the gross weigh can be increased. The aircraft's wing structure is not put under any more stress than if flown at gross weight with wheels.
  7. CTLS vs CTSW

    Andy, a couple things. It is mass and wing loading that will determine how an airplane handles turbulence, not just weight. Metal does not necessarily make an airplane heavier. There is a ICP Savannah SLSA, (which is a mostly metal airplane), based near here that has an almost 700 pound useful load.
  8. CTLS vs CTSW

    That is how it was being described. To me it is not like grandpa's Caddy, but more like the new KIA Stinger GT.
  9. CTLS vs CTSW

    The goal of the CTLS when introduced was to transform it from a twitchy feeling light airplane to something more like a 172. They went overboard on the ailerons. It has been said the comparison between a CTSW and a CTLS is like a sports car compared to a sedan. With the early CTLS the comparison is more like a sports car to a dump truck in my opinion. I only flew 2 different early CTLS's, so my sample size is pretty small. The later CTLS aileron control system is more like the CTSW. Pitch is a little more subdued in the CTLS, but it still requires a light touch. The yaw characteristics of the CTLS is one of the things I like about it over the CTSW. With the CTSW when you need some rudder it is really easy to add to much causing excess yaw. With the CTLS it is easier to add rudder without over doing it. The yaw thing is both personal experience and observation while flight instructing.
  10. CTLS vs CTSW

    Ed, how much experience do you have in a CTLS to make the comparison? I have owned and flown both the CTSW and CTLS. I would not say the CTSW is more fun to fly. It is slight different from the CTLS in a way that requires more work to be precise while flying. Both are equally fun to fly. I can make either do what I want, and both react to inputs equally well.
  11. CTLS vs CTSW

    First the CTLS does not have longer wings, but it does have different wing tips. The wing tip design was to provided better aileron control near stall speed. The landing gear between the two are different. With the CTSW the gear is an aluminum rod. The gear is more prone to bouncing if you drop a landing in. The gear will bend if abused. The CTLS gear is composite. The gear position was moved back slightly to make the airplane more stable on the ground. The composite design was programmed to absorb the landing shock while giving 50% less rebound than the aluminum gear. This provides a much more solid feel when you touch the ground. The CTLS may have a stronger gear, but when abused it will break instead of bending. Both gear are fairly easily replaced. I think the CTLS is more susceptible to damage beyond needing the gear leg replaced in an incident. Like Andy said weight is an important factor. The CTLS with similar equipment to a CTSW will weigh around 40-50 pounds more. I have owned and flown both models. I am willing to give up that 40-50 pounds for the CTLS over the CTSW. Also worthy of note is that the first 35-40 CTLS have a different aileron control system than the later airplanes. I personally don't care for the early control system. If you want to check out a CTLS I am located in Southeastern Illinois. Depending on where you are in Nashville it is about a 4 hour drive.
  12. Need a new door seal 2007 CTSW

    The two piece seal I think was a piece of trimloc to which Flight Design glued a seal. I don't think you will find anything better than that from McMaster-Carr. I've replaced several pieces on CTSW's, with the seal from McMaster-Carr, and never had to replace them a second time. For what it's worth my CTLS is 9 years old and still has the original seals, and they are still in good shape at almost 700 hours.
  13. Fuel caps

    I'll consider that if what I did this time doesn't work. It only took about an inch long bead of both parts to mix and do what I needed. I hate having to waste a whole tube for such a small amount.
  14. Cabin heat

    The baffles are to force the air flowing over the muffler to travel a greater distance, allowing more time for heat transfer. Also a trick with some airplanes is to wrap something like a screen door spring around the muffler. This allows for more surface area to transfer heat.
  15. Control Lock

    I really don't like tying the stick back with seat belts, but it is an option in a pinch. You could also tie the stick forward to the bottom tubes on the rudder pedals with a bungee cord.