100VLL fuel OK'd by FAA

CT4ME

After years of talk, there is an alternative to 100LL available - 100VLL (very low lead). I'm guessing this is just an interim solution to the problem of lead, as the product still contains a significant amount of lead... just 19% less than 100LL.

The FAA says any airplane can run 100VLL that currently runs 100LL... and that there should not be any differences in anything, including maintenance.

Here's a full article about the FAA announcement:

http://www.eaa.org/news/2011/2011-09-15_100vll.asp

That being said, we can carry on a discussion of the product here... any problems in Rotax engines or Flight Design aircraft, availability, cost, differences in lead build-up etc.

My first question... will Decalin be needed, or still work?

Tim

I talked with the Decalin folks... they weren't aware of the developments in 100VLL, and will look into it. With that in mind, they thought Decalin should work as before, using the same amounts. They indicated there were several aspects to the product, beyond just scavenging lead. Some portion of the formula boosts the combustion. But fully understanding that we would rather have a definitive answer, they are going to do some research, and probably post something on their website.

Tim

• 2 months later...

Does Decalin work better than TCP? On the rare occasion I have to use 100LL I always put TCP in to the tanks. If I understand the process, the additive somehow bonds with the lead and keeps it from gumming up your engine. Is that right? And, is one brand better than the other? Thanks.

Hi Ron,

TCP works, but it has some harsh chemicals where the Mfg doesn't want it in the cockpit and can be harsh on the planes skin if spilled and left uncleaned. Decalin which is another lead scavenger like TCP isn't as harsh and works just as well. They both help keep the lead softened so some of it exits the exhaust. Neither will keep all the lead out and you will still get leading with either product. It's better to run the engine at higher rpms too like 5300+ to help keep leading down. Low cruise rpms makes the leading worse. Use 91 oct. at home and when traveling most of us are stuck with 100LL, but that is usually a small amount over an entire year. Decalin is about $19 for a bottle and you only use 1/2 oz. per 10 gal.

Roger, You Da Man on these type of answers! I really appreciate that. I paid (about) $33. for a quart ot TCP. I assume Decalin is a quart bottle too and significantly lower in price. I'll order that ASAP and leave the TCP for emergency reserve. I also like hearing about the higher rpm cruise when using 100LL; I didn't know that. Being a bit mechanically challenged many of these things are not intuitive, but once you explain it to me I'll remember. Thanks again.

Archived