Considering buying a CTSW

ToddS

Hi Dick,

If I have a direct 90 degree side wind of 12 or more I use zero flaps and some power right to the ground. The flight characteristics platform like this makes the plane very stable and controllable in high crosswinds. I've been in 25-30 winds (not on purpose) and not had any issues like this. A good rule of thumb should be more wind less flaps.

Hi Roger, thanks for the info. Interesting that you use 0 flaps. This is on the other end of the spectrum from me. I've got a little repaired spot on my under-fin where my friend tried landing my CT with 0 flaps and didn't get his speed right. He held the nose high to try to keep flying before touch down without adding some power and scraped the fin. I look at landing with 0 flaps as similar to landing with 40 flaps; both require one to keep track of speed and be ready for judicious use of power if the setup wasn't done right.

Hi Dick,

You can touch the tail in zero flaps and that's because some try to do a full stall landing and hold the nose too high. There is no need to land like that. Round out at 60 knots and just hold the stick still and it will settle right to the runway. The other way to scrape the undefin is to keep power in and again holding the nose way to high trying to land too slow. A little speed at the bottom has all sorts of good benefits, too little speed has put way too many people in trouble.

As a point of reference, FD says in the CTSW Training Supplement: for a landing in the normal range

54 knots (or slower with experience) 15-40 deg flaps.

Power 10-20%, close throttle 3ft off ground.

I land it that way, except I probably close the throttle earlier.

Archived