Longest Leg

207WF

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My longest day in a CT was flying the CTLS float plane from Sebring, FL. to Tulsa. The plane flies at 100 kts all day. however with major headwinds and bad weather, I sat in the LS seat for 14.5 hours. In one day. Yes I stopped for fuel a couple of times. One time I stopped and sat in the plane for 1.5 hours waiting for the ceilings to raise up enough to keep flying.

• 1 month later...

Well, I have a long trip story but not a longest leg. We live in Hillsboro, OR and flew out to Mass for a week on Cape Cod with family. From Hillsboro toBurns OR, then overnight at Boise. Boise to Ogden, UT for some mountain flying dual, and a BFR. The training was interesting (I'd read a book before).Visualizing air flow, flying closer to a canyon wall than I originally wanted to to get updrafts. Fly into a one-way strip. Practiced canyon turn.First, I did a standard turn, 70k speed and 30 deg bank. Next one, I started at Vx, dropped flaps, and 45 bank. He said I did a turn arounda point, and could get out of a canyon. But never to get in the situation where terrain out-climbed the airplane and I would need such a turn. Flying only in mornings, stopped at Rock Springs, then Cheyenne then North Platte. Once in the plains, I forget which airports. Longest leg was3hrs, highest was 11500. I followed highways while in the Rockies, just for emergency landing safety. Got to PA, and had clear weather. Overcastover Worcester, MA so had lunch at Barnes. Worcester had is very own weather downwind of Quabinn reservoir. Finally got to old home plateat 6B6, Stow-Minuteman.We really do have a cross-country machine! One just has to be patient and do multiple hops.

I stopped by Tom at 64CT and got an oil change. Too much 100LL used on XC flights. Overall, took 10 days eastbound. Similar time westbound startingJuly 3. Got to PA, weather over rockies was not nice, stationary front from Idaho to Wisconsin. So went SW, stopped at Sporty's then down toSan Antonio. Stayed at Hangar Hotel at T82 (very nice place, but expensive. Do it once...) Drove to Luckenbach TX dance hall. (country music fan). A fun place.I always get the songs "its all right to be little-bitty" and "one piece at a time" in my head. Because of one flight leg at a time.Then west to El paso,, stopped at Horizon (T27) due to Wx. Nice very litle field. didn't hug the border because CUS VOR was inop. So, sorry, no visitto Bisbee. Overnight at Blythe, CA. 114F when we stepped out of airplane. I hangared so nothing would warp or melt ! 86F felt cool the next morning.Checking DA, of course, all along the trip. Up past PSP and Banning pass, saw two SW jets making 180 turn on course below us. Then up central CA valley duedo marine layer on the coast. Someday, I'll stay at Santa Maria when it is not foggy... overnite at Salinas, where I bought the plane. LSA West long gone.Back up with a stop at KRBL (Hi Tony....) then to Medford OR then home.Again 10 days. I had a oil pressure bobble before landing at Ryan (Hi Roger, by phone...) but worked Ok after that. I've purchased a new sender.I notiiced that not all centers export data to FlightAware. I asked SEA, they are running the newer ERAM software, not the HOST. I guess the data export feature was not purchased or doesn't work. One flightaware segment on 7/4 is funny. They picked me up at some VOR before an airport. The VOR id matched an airport in the south pacific. So it looks like I did the round-the-world trip. I didn't,

I do have the FD Pilot. We purchased the plane in Salinas, CA in 2008, and flew to Mass. It was tiring, even with 3 axis trim. When flying back west, I invested in the AP. It was a bigger project than I expected. Took composite work, and an LOA. There is a thread here about it, but I don't know how to link to it...

Autopilot Installation I'll try that.

On July 4th, I was flying locate and heard a Flight Design landing at my airport. KIDI-Indiana, PA. I hurried back and was able to meet Bill and his wife. I think it was their second day of the return trip home. Thanks for the trip report and it was a pleasure meeting you both.

Hi Tip,

It was nice to meet you at KIDI. You are part of a friendly community, and you just stopped in when you heard us on the radio.

Too bad I didn't see a NOTAM that the fbo was closed, and no fuel that day. But the nice mechanic, Jack Daniels, did open the bathroom in the hangar.

Oh, with the AP flying Heading mode, it is easy to follow roads. Feels like cheating, though, to just turn a little knob. ATC gets curious about your route,

I file FDCT/G so always be ready with distant fix or intersection when they ask you about your course. They seem to need it for handoffs.

Bill & Helen

• 2 weeks later...

G 'day from Oz,

From Narrogin in Western Australia to Temora in New South Wales (eastern Australia not that other Wales)

17 hours over 2 days.

Longest leg around 4 hours (you can't be choosy about where you fuel up in remote Oz)

Attached (I hope) photo of refuelling at Nullabor road house (service station)

Blocked access for road vehicles for a few minutes but didn't upset anyone too much.

Duski Don

post-210-0-15091500-1343954259_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Longest trip: 1,158 nm. From Miami, Fl (KTMB) to the Island of Nevis (TKPN). Total time 11.5 hours. Various stops along the Caribbean enroute to Nevis. Doing similar trip again in 2 weeks.........

Longest leg ever flown: 5 hours non-stop. Miami to Atlanta.

Envious of you guys with wide open spaces - I have flown in Australia and been amazed at just how far you can go in a straight line :)

But longest leg in my CTLS - 3hrs 10 minutes from Ashcroft Farm (EGCR) to Dinard (LFRD)

537nm, leg two of a three stop, 1620nm trip, of 17 hours over two days: Toronto Ontario to Nelson BC.

Headwinds all the way. Beautiful trip ending in paradise!

the guy I bought the plane from did the opposite trip in one day, in 15hrs!

equally beautiful trip, but ending in smog!

the secret to long flights?

yoga!

gallery_474_24_107896.jpg

Archived