BRS model and deployment speed

Jim Meade

I am not near my logs at this moment so I wonder if anyone knows for sure the BRS parachute model for the CTSW. Is it possibly 1350? The reason I am interested is because I want to know the published deployment speed. In some circumstances it might affect how I would maneuver the airplane or instruct my passenger (e.g., pull the throttle first at all costs) before deployment. Of course, sometimes one can not control the aircraft and then it may not be possible to maneuver before deployment.

Here is the BRS page with information on various models.

http://brsparachutes.com/files/brsparachutes/files/BRS%206%20Specifications.pdf

Hi Jim,

1350HS is correct and you should never be above the opening speed in the normal flight envelope unless you are in a serious dive. It has an limit of 184mph opening speed. There website shows a $1000 for a re-pack and I think that includes return shipping.

I will know all the particulars Monday because I have a BRS from a CTSW to send to them and you must call them for an RMA number. I will get shipping times, too.

All 2005 CTSW's should be done no later than the end of December this year.

Removing a BRS chute from a CT is easy and takes about 20 minutes. First disconnect the carabiner from the Kevlar bridle on the passenger side in the luggage compartment up on top of the chute area. Then on the pilot side luggage compartment take out the screw that secures the rocket cable. The screw is located under the plastic protection cap. It just pulls out. Then unscrew the little set screw and unscrew the bottom of the cable housing. This lets the cable slide out the bottom of the rocket and is now completely free. Very easy so far. Then unscrew the 6 mounting screws that attach the chute to the metal mounting plate. Now the chute comes right out. Then disconnect the cable retention ring with the two screws on top of the rocket. Now unscrew the 3 screws on the bottom of the rocket that secure it to the side of the chute canister. Your done.

Piece of pie!

p.s.

If you forgot to disconnect the cable from the rocket and pull the chute out, DON"T FORGET TO DUCK AND RUN. Your hangar roof should be fairly easy to repair!!! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Okay here is the deal on chute re-packs.

The cost is $846 and that includes the shipping back to you. You must call BRS and give them your info and get an RMA number. Enough people wanted their own chutes back so that is what BRS is going to do. You will get your own chute back and the time is 2 weeks. Could be a few days less or more depending on how busy, but 2 weeks or less should work for most of us. 2012 and 2013 will be very busy chute re-pack years so don't wait until the last minute. This BRS chute system now retails for $7100 so they said to insure it for at least $2000. Ship any way you want, but it will come back FedEx. They will do a quick inspection and then call you in case something is wrong, but it should be and then they will charge you after that call the $846. For the chute I'm shipping it weighs 35 lbs and shipping cost was $52.47 with the insurance.

I have a chute going in tomorrow.

p.s.

MAKE SURE YOU OR THE MECHANIC TOOK THE ROCKET OFF!

p.s.s.

If you think $846 is a lot, the Cirrus BRS chute re-pack is around $12K.

Hi John,

The CT's have the canister 1350HS. I just sent one in and checked a few others. When I told BRS I was sending a 1350HS he ask me if it was a soft pack or canister. See the link below. They come either way.

http://brsparachutes...ack_center.aspx

Here is the spec sheet on their products:

http://brsparachutes.com/files/brsparachutes/files/BRS%206%20Specifications.pdf

The HS stands for "high speed". The standard 1350 has an opening speed of 138 mph where the 1350HS is 184 mph. The HS Kevlar bridle is rated at 15K lbs and the standard 1350 is only rated at 13.5K lbs.

Archived