Alaska trip 2012?

Farmer

I want to start by thanking everyone involved in the recent Page flyin. It was my first event with this Flight Design family and it was great. I am new to Flight Design, but not new to travel. This past summer my wife I and visited twenty six States, in about five weeks with our new CTLS N413F. We visited both coasts of our great nation in about 100 hours of flight time. This next summer I was hoping to make it all the way to the artic circle in Alaska. I have driven the Dalton Highway north of Fairbanks to the artic ocean, but a flight to Nome, Barrow and beyound would be spectular. The Brooks range is one of a kind. Best done is early to mid summer I think. That should give long days, clear sky, and the very best weather.

I am in the early stage of planning of the trip, which is very possible in out Light Sport aircraft. With no medical, and an over flight of Canada, there is one leg of about 500nm. The other option, that is used by some, is to put a pilot in the rigth seat for that single leg. With that option the longest leg of the trip woould not need to be more than two hours. We would be landing in Canada with that option. This will not be a wild and dangerour flight, as there are many airport every hour or so during the entire trip. Plenty of stops for expensive avgas and of course even more options for mogas. The route would not require flying over water, out of gliding distant from land. It is my plan to sleep in a warm bed each evening. I will carry a Sat phone with internet connection, in case we need to order pizza.

The reason for this post, is that if there are others out there who might be thinking about this type of trip I would love to join a small group, traveling together, with a common goal of adventure. I have traveled around most of Europe in an RV, incuding several motorhome trip to such places as Moscow Russia, in small groups. I have a sponsor that will cover all the fuel cost for this trip no matter how many aircrafts. That sponsor will help with any expense like flying in a spare tire or cover cost of an oil change for anyone needing mid trip help. I do not think that there is any fees to worry about for boarder crossing and landing. This trip is in the early planning stages, hoping for 2012 is the current goal. If you would like to talk about this planned trip, or one of you past adventures, I can be reached at 8086882892, or 8082165080 or ljefts@aloha.net or Larry Jefts po box 27 Kunia, Hawaii 96759.

Best wishes for an exciting 2012.

Larry Jefts

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to start by thanking everyone involved in the recent Page flyin. It was my first event with this Flight Design family and it was great. I am new to Flight Design, but not new to travel. This past summer my wife I and visited twenty six States, in about five weeks with our new CTLS N413F. We visited both coasts of our great nation in about 100 hours of flight time. This next summer I was hoping to make it all the way to the artic circle in Alaska. I have driven the Dalton Highway north of Fairbanks to the artic ocean, but a flight to Nome, Barrow and beyound would be spectular. The Brooks range is one of a kind. Best done is early to mid summer I think. That should give long days, clear sky, and the very best weather.

I am in the early stage of planning of the trip, which is very possible in out Light Sport aircraft. With no medical, and an over flight of Canada, there is one leg of about 500nm. The other option, that is used by some, is to put a pilot in the rigth seat for that single leg. With that option the longest leg of the trip woould not need to be more than two hours. We would be landing in Canada with that option. This will not be a wild and dangerour flight, as there are many airport every hour or so during the entire trip. Plenty of stops for expensive avgas and of course even more options for mogas. The route would not require flying over water, out of gliding distant from land. It is my plan to sleep in a warm bed each evening. I will carry a Sat phone with internet connection, in case we need to order pizza.

The reason for this post, is that if there are others out there who might be thinking about this type of trip I would love to join a small group, traveling together, with a common goal of adventure. I have traveled around most of Europe in an RV, incuding several motorhome trip to such places as Moscow Russia, in small groups. I have a sponsor that will cover all the fuel cost for this trip no matter how many aircrafts. That sponsor will help with any expense like flying in a spare tire or cover cost of an oil change for anyone needing mid trip help. I do not think that there is any fees to worry about for boarder crossing and landing. This trip is in the early planning stages, hoping for 2012 is the current goal. If you would like to talk about this planned trip, or one of you past adventures, I can be reached at 8086882892, or 8082165080 or ljefts@aloha.net or Larry Jefts po box 27 Kunia, Hawaii 96759.

Best wishes for an exciting 2012.

Larry Jefts

I've gone twice. I'll email you.

Ernie

Sounds like a great adventure and something I have thought about on many occasions! I'd be interested in the details, can't say for sure if I could get enough time off work but would love to try. If my wife is willing to go as well one of us can assist in helping get others thru Canada that don't have a medical.

I'll be heading up there in April/early May. I wanted some darkness so to be able to appreciate the northern lights. I mostly planned on flying around Denali and Katmai around Novarupta, also heading out on the Aleutian arc to see Mt. Cleveland in the Island of Four Mountains chain. I'm fond of the volcanos. I have an oxygen generator and figure in the cold air, I can probably get up to 18,000ft so pretty close to Denali. It hadn't even occured to me to look for a sponsor. I had planned to fly direct to Ketchikan myself although I am private; rather avoid the hassle of landing in Canada. I doubt I will fly all the way up to Barrow. I have the aviation survival kit (required but an excellent idea anyway) already put together. I would consider 406MHZ EPIRB and sleeping bags as crucial even if not required http://www.bestglide.com/survival_equipment_requirements.htm

Perhaps we should start a CT-Juneau fly-in.

I've done this trip at least a half dozen times although not since the 1990's and in a Cessna. Usually following the AlCan Hwy or through the trench. I've always landed in Canada and cleared customs. You never know when conditions require landings you didn't plan on.

It's a great trip, well worth doing. As for hassles, never a problem with Canadian customs or anything else in Canada. Any hassle I ever had was with U.S. customs and those were minor and usually amounted to them not being as friendly and outgoing as the Canadian custom folks.

It looks like we have a group headed to Alaska (actually just two so far). If anybody wants to join, the first Annual CTAK fligt up north will nominally begin on April 1 (possibly as late as Mid April to try for optimal weather) out of the Bellingham area (I will be flying from Anacortes Airport since I have friends near there). Subject to weather delays, the first leg is direct to PAKT Ketchikan, 510nm. Next day, short flight over to Sitka. Then up to Skagway to see some Glaciers and the Chilikoot trail. I figure we'll have a couple days somewhere and will base it on where weather delays us. I would like to spend a day just flying in Glacier Bay. Long flight again over to Anchorage, 440nm, more glaciers and mountains. Next day flight around Denali back to ANK. Next day down to Novarupta volcano, Crater lake and then over to Kodiak for two days looking at bears and such. From there over to Cold Bay PACD and on to Dutch harbor, Unalaska PADU. It's two legs totalling 530nm, lots of gorgeous volcanoes and islands, never more than 10mi over water, but weather is likely to gate us some here since Aleutian weather can easily be bad. From there over to Mt. Cleveland to check out the erupting volcano and back to Dutch, 300nm RT. Back track to Kodiak and over to Kenai Fjord over the next two days. So far that describes two packed weeks, probably a bit more. I think I will hug the coast and return back to CONUS over the next several days stopping wherever I missed on the way up like Yakutat, check out Lituya Bay and over to Juneau. Larry was likely to head up north maybe as far as Nome and Barrow, but I'll need to get back.

I figure a month realistically before I'm back in Sunny CA. So if anyone else wants to join in, feel free to come along. This is a sketch of the flying I had planned.

Greeting All

Thanks for the calls and emails. There is much more interest in Alaska 2012 than I would have guessed, in just one week. It appears that three or more aircraft might try to work together towards this preposed flyin. Those interested in this type of trip but cannot go in 2012 might want to watch and contribute to the planning process. We may want to set up and email list, or even a conference call to further planning as the date get closer. I expect to be in the South West sometime in Febuary or early March, perhaps we can meet as a group. The nature of the trip will be much flexible travel, with weather and each persons special interest considered.

Thanks for your interest in this proposed trip.

Larry

ljefts@aloha.net

On that note, I think we will need to shift back to July. It's more inconvenient for me, but watching the bears was one of the key highlights and as I do more research, I need to arrive when the salmon are running which means July for sockeye or August for cutthroat or stealheads. Anyway, both Brooks lodge in Katmai (near novarupta) and Larsen bay on Kodiak seem to be ideal spots. I'm still figuring out accomodations but here are some relevent links:

Glacier bay is easier from Gustavus airport http://www.nps.gov/glba/planyourvisit/cruising.htm so I will probably head there for 2 days instead of Haines

This place in Larsen was reasonable for just cabins; I called the guy http://www.kodiakresort.com/rates.php This place is Mecca for fishermen so they can charge alot for that sort of setup.

Dutch will be pretty spartan http://www.welcometoalaska.com/dutchharbor.htm#Rentals

From King Salmon, this company runs floatplanes out to brooks lodge for $188 RT (only way to get there) http://www.katmailand.com/bear-viewing/index.html also some pricey cabin options ($300 per person per night) taking out the Anchorage airfare. Much cheaper is this $8 camping option (electric fence around the campground) http://www.nps.gov/katm/planyourvisit/camper-questions-and-problems.htm

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Brooks_Camp_Campground/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70949&topTabIndex=CampingSpot

That is my sort of thing, showers and food at the local lodge. I'll get a portable electric fence anyway in case I need to camp somewhere else.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/UDAP-Bear-Electric-Fence/1242284.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dudap%2Belectric%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=udap+electric&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Anyway, I have lots more responses I'm waiting for, but seems like July 1 tentative departure makes more sense than April or May.

On that note, I think we will need to shift back to July. It's more inconvenient for me, but watching the bears was one of the key highlights and as I do more research, I need to arrive when the salmon are running which means July for sockeye or August for cutthroat or stealheads. Anyway, both Brooks lodge in Katmai (near novarupta) and Larsen bay on Kodiak seem to be ideal spots. I'm still figuring out accomodations but here are some relevent links:

Glacier bay is easier from Gustavus airport http://www.nps.gov/glba/planyourvisit/cruising.htm so I will probably head there for 2 days instead of Haines

This place in Larsen was reasonable for just cabins; I called the guy http://www.kodiakresort.com/rates.php This place is Mecca for fishermen so they can charge alot for that sort of setup.

Dutch will be pretty spartan http://www.welcometoalaska.com/dutchharbor.htm#Rentals

From King Salmon, this company runs floatplanes out to brooks lodge for $188 RT (only way to get there) http://www.katmailand.com/bear-viewing/index.html also some pricey cabin options ($300 per person per night) taking out the Anchorage airfare. Much cheaper is this $8 camping option (electric fence around the campground) http://www.nps.gov/katm/planyourvisit/camper-questions-and-problems.htm

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Brooks_Camp_Campground/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70949&topTabIndex=CampingSpot

That is my sort of thing, showers and food at the local lodge. I'll get a portable electric fence anyway in case I need to camp somewhere else.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/UDAP-Bear-Electric-Fence/1242284.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dudap%2Belectric%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=udap+electric&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Anyway, I have lots more responses I'm waiting for, but seems like July 1 tentative departure makes more sense than April or May.

My brother, who lived on Kodiak for a few years, agrees with mid summer date as well. He is retired Coast Guard, then America Captain retired, and interested in possibly joining us this trip. Local knowledge is sometimes helpful. I have received other emails and expect call from a couple from out East tomorrow. I have also had contact with pilots who have already made trip. Much positive feedback.

Larry

I've done well over 600nm legs with mild headwind so that doesn't bother me, so long as I'm confident about the weather in Ketchikan 6 hours out. An emergency divert would certainly be a hassle with paperwork, but I would expect the Canadian authorities ultimately to be sympathetic. It's unlikely unless the plane develops a problem enroute.

As a person who flew in AK for 40 years, I agree with Roger. Your trip, especially in the CT, is very ambitious. The route you propose to Ketchikan is rugged and unforgiving. There are several other pieces to your proposed trip, like down the Aleutians, that will be extremely challenging. Wx changes in a heartbeat and winds can be nasty. Flexibility is a must. I can't begin to remember the number of times I thought I was going direct with no stops only to find deviations and unexpected landings to wait out Wx and to add fuel. Wx briefings can tell you what it's like at destination only sometimes, depending on facilities at that destination, but enroute you are often on your own especially early in the day before others can give pilot reports. It is good that you are going a little later in the year as that means almost unlimited daylight which opens up your options and increases safety.

Most people in single engine planes do not go up the coast as proposed unless they are on floats. Often on coastal flights there are good beaches to land on but I don't think that is the case here. But, since I always took the inland route(s), I really can't say. For myself, I would clear customs and enjoy Canada on the way up but that's me. Following the AlCan I almost always had a place to land. Since every trip I took had an element of Wx and scud running, I was always glad for that. Even if you could go IFR it is not a piece of cake especially for single engine with no deice. I've done that a few times but in places like the Yukon the MEA's are in the 11K range and icing was usually problematic when the Wx is IFR. Alaska and Canada are full of tangled aircraft often as a result of pilots who thought they knew better. Don't be one of those.

Reading this some may think I am discouraging this trip. Quite the contrary. I encourage the trip. Just be flexible, don't push the Wx, learn all you can from literature available, don't stretch your fuel, and listen to local pilots as you go from place to place. It's not like the lower 48 where there are numerous places to land, lots of Wx resources, etc. In much of Canada and Alaska there is literally nothing but miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles. Beautiful, desolate, and well worth the trip.

BTW, don't forget the bug dope!!

The over Shortest distance over Canada is just under 500nm between two paved airports in Washington and Alaska. The highest one will need to climb is about 3500 MSL. I have been running the flight on foreflight each day and as one would expect you get headwinds, for a day or two, then tailwind for a day or two. You wil need to pick the right weather window as the highs move through. You will have no out of gliding distance water crossing. There are people and several airport options if necessary, in an emergency (paper work not with standing). I think that the crossing on that leg should be just over fours, if done right. This is an adventure trip where the travel is the goal, in my mind. It will be a challenge, however I do not like swimming or camping that much so caution will rule the day. BRS, BRS, Spot, Iridium, team work, means perhaps the Ct is a more correct aircraft that my nearly new Cessna 172 would be for this flight. No aircraft should be alone, or with less than three GPS, and one should be handheld.

I am grateful for all the comments, and espically those from the been there, done that crowd. Those cautions and recommadation may make this trip possible, and certainly safer.

Larry

Weather in Alaska can change very quickly and become IFR in a hurry. I don't think they would be that sympathetic since everyone figures that is something that should have been in your planning. I have a 2 guys at my airport that go every summer. You best have your papers in order and as they say it may be clear when you left, but IFR shortly there after. I would plan on landing in Canada and then hope you don't have to.

Archived