Alaska trip 2012?

Farmer

Sadly, the Mt. Cleveland eruption seems to be over so I have much less incentive to head far out on the Aleutian island chain. After all, I wouldn't want to be flying out over the artic ocean to uninhabited, desolate islands in bad weather without at least some lava bombs and ash clouds to dodge. Unalaska itself is not much of a tourist destination either. Larry was interested in Barrow; they have some nice birds (owls, gyrfalcons) and polar bears, and cool pack ice to see. For that leg, I would propose we head out of ANK, up around Denali and then on to Fairbanks to refuel and likely overnight for the 430nm trip up to Barrow. There are a few small airports along the way but very little and likely no services. Two days in Barrow and then down sort of along the coast to Unalakleet (of flying wild alaska fame). And then finally on to King Salmon to get back on my original itinerary to see Novarupta and the bears munching on fish at Brooks lodge. The other remote stop nearby that looks promising is Nelson Lagoon where they have a nearby concentration of whales and walrus. That would be a single day and involve camping since there are about 83 people total that live there. Probably not alot of charming B&Bs to pick from.

As for the risks, I concede that I can think of many things safer than this sort of flight. However, presuming lots of care about weather, dew point spread, winds and such, I think the main risk is abrupt engine failure in cruise flight which is not statistically likely and anyway Roger and Jeremy have taken pretty good care of my little bird. If so, then parachuting into some remote coastal forest or artic tundra and being prepared to camp there a few days waiting for rescue would certainly suck and be more adventure than I was hoping for. But it is a contingency I intend to be fully prepared for. The main difference between this and overflying the Sierras or the high deserts or following the ALCAN is the amount of time it would take to get help. In any of these cases, inopportune engine out is likely to cost you the plane. But I didn't get this bird just to have a nice topic for hanger talk.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought that if you entered Canadian airspace, you had to file with them and comply with their regulations. The exception I know of is a shortcut across Canada somewhere around Detroit or maybe it was Buffalo. I was IFR when I did it and stayed with U.S. ATC. Can someone who has actually made a VFR trip into Canadian airspace without Canadian clearance give me their experiences?

The Alaska trip is enticing.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my current tentative plan for AK.

Day # From To Dist nm Notes

0 KRHV KOKH 660 Long first leg up from San Jose. Might stop

1 KOKH PAKT 510 DVFR up to Ketchikan, odd mandatory FSS airport; Alt. PANT

2 PAKT PAGS 230 Possibly Camping, kayaking, flightseeing in Glacier bay

3 PAGS lcl Orcas and icebergs

4 PAGS 7KA 370 Tatitlek, flight over Lituya bay, Malaspina Glacier; Alt. Valdez

5 7KA lcl base of Columbia glacier, fastest calving glacier in world

6 7KA PAKN 330 King Salmon. Flight over Mt. Augustine and Homer. Novarupta

7 PAKN 5Z9 20 float plane over to brooks lodge. Bears eating Salmon. Hike valley 10K smokes

8 5Z9 PAKN 20 flightseeing over Katmai, crater lake, etc.

8 PAKN PAOU 220 Nelson Lagoon. Walrus Island. Very remote site

9 PAOU 2A3 260 Flight over Mt. Veniaminof to Kodiak Alt. PADQ for fuel

10 2A3 PANC 250 Larsen Bay more bears. Flightseeing over Kodiak Island on to Anchorage

11 PANC PAFA ~300 resupply in city, flight over Denali on to Fairbanks

12 PAFA PABA 340 Kaktovik most remote spot in USA. Summer polar bears. Not camping

13 PABA Lcl bowhead whales, sea ice, gyrfalcons

14 PABA 6K8 410 Start return flight down to AK hwy, refuel in Tok

15 6K8 PAHN 330 DVFR over Canada to Haines along AK hwy, Chilkoot trail; Alt. Skagway

16 PAHN PAKT 270 Back to Ketchikan

17 PAKT KOKH 510 return to WA

18 KOKH KRHV 660 end

No doubt this will stretch out at least another week or two with weather. I have called most of these spots and will likely stay in cabins much of the time, but the inability to plan with weather delays means I can't make reservations; wouldn't want the pressure anyway. I will have full 4-season camping gear and a 25' square electric fence (and mandatory shotgun) for the odd bear where last minute lodging proves costly or unavailable. Much of the reserved stuff is very expensive as these places are sort of Mecca for hunters and fisherfolk. In some spots like Nelson (pop. 83), I plan on just trying to hire some local and his boat to head over to Walrus Island. There really is no tourist accomodation at all in some of these spots. In others like Brooks, they have an electric fenced campground and users can head over to the lodge for food and showers. I ditched Cleveland since it isn't erupting and was going to add Barrow, but Barrow doesn't have polar bears in July. Kak has lots as they stage there muching on whale carcasses and waiting for the sea ice to get closer (which is becoming a big problem for them). Kaktovik is also sacrificial if time gets short. I could head back from ANC on day #11 saving several days.

I plan on staying topped up on 100LL every chance I get especially if I want to add some local village mogas which is likely to be 87. Mixed with at least 10gal remaining of 100LL will get above 91oct. So that's my plan so far; feel free to make comments or contact me if you want to join in. It is 6,000miles total.

Thanks, CT4ME. I think I'll, take you up on it. One more backup can't hurt too. As for planning, I plan on launching as early as July 8. The launch date is the most susceptible to slip as I wanted to pick a few day window with good looking weather in Seattle and up to Ketchikan as well as a tailwind or at least negligable headwind. So if it looks sketchy, I would delay departing RHV until something like an ideal window openned up.

All

I am very much still planning the trip to Alaska. I do not have a hard plan day by day, but rather will go with the weather. I like the detail planning Chanik, the route and distance seem reasonable to me. Mid July is a good time to travel this area. I can devote six weeks or more if necessary. The over Canada leg might be 1RL to PANT, 480 N miles. I run the flight on foreflight every day, and even now it is only 23 gallons and 4 hours plus, with one day in four meeting good VFR. The winds shift on about a four day schedule with fronts. This should give a small tailwind if planned right. We are searching for a second CTLS so that my brother Duane can go as well. We have found one in Ohio and also one is Arziona. Offer are in, we will see.

We will buy a new one as a last resport, wife still claims two are excessive. That aircraft will end up here in Hawaii at the end of 2012. Duane and I will most likely each fly solo. WE a not small people. Duane has killed bears in Alaska, for sport I guess. We will have spot and Iridum with hot spot. There might be as a little camping if no service is found in some remote villages. I will be seeking culture contacts with locals, as well as the travel as the goal. Fellow traveling pilots (and others) would just add to the pleasure

I want to travel in a group as much as possible and will bend my schedule to fit others. Kentuckynet has indicated a strong interest in joining this venture.

Jim

Sorry for my lack of response to you email. I have had 8000 National Farm Bureau members having their annual convention this week. Many guests to farm. Even spent some time with your guy, US Secretary of Agriculture, nice man.

Farmer,

It sounds like you're busy! Keep my posted on this. Generally, I can make myself available for July-August (although I'll miss going to Oshkosh). I can have the farming done by custom hire as it is mostly making hay and spraying.

Is there anywhere a rough guide to what it takes in terms of gear, clothing, money, etc.?

Jim

I very much love Oshkosh, Duane and I flew my CTLS in last year, from Nevada. I have made a Google search for Canada and Alaska law on required equipment. The list is much smaller that just a few years ago. Nothing special that I can see. Duane is looking for the cans of pepper spray for the bear encounters. I have camped in an RV above the artic circle, it is not a big deal, just fun. The weather should be very long days, warm, many, many many very large bugs. Mostly acting as if the have never eaten before meeting you. Deet at about 99%, along with some small netting will be helpful. There are good camp stores in Anchorage if we miss anything during planning. Not necessary for lots of heavy clothing. Cash is good, however almost everywhere is geared for tourist, lots of tourst support ATM, etc.

The most needed items is common, calm thinking, and a sense of adventure. Next month, or March at the latest we will begin planning as detailed as possible. I may need to come to Arziona anyway. I a very happy that several people seem interested. We will continue to share any information as trip gets closer. Heck we plan to learn from others how to "get it done".

Larry

Coppercity,

Owner says returning to Benson in late January. I have made an offer to owner. My brother, who winters in Tucson, is waiting to see aircraft. I will relay your offer to Duane, he will need five hours to meet the insurance requirement. He can be hard to teach, as he ran the TWA sim center in ST Louis near the end of his flying career. I think he said he has 1000 hours in right seat of Beech 200 somewhere early in career. You know the type, militrary trained, many rules.

Thanks

Larry

Coppercity,

Owner says returning to Benson in late January. I have made an offer to owner. My brother, who winters in Tucson, is waiting to see aircraft. I will relay your offer to Duane, he will need five hours to meet the insurance requirement. He can be hard to teach, as he ran the TWA sim center in ST Louis near the end of his flying career. I think he said he has 1000 hours in right seat of Beech 200 somewhere early in career. You know the type, militrary trained, many rules.

Thanks

Larry

We have lots of patience and plenty of time teaching in CTs and would be glad to help. Our 2009 CTLS is for rent down in Bisbee if he is interested in getting some dual in one while waiting.

All

I am very much still planning the trip to Alaska. I do not have a hard plan day by day, but rather will go with the weather. I like the detail planning Chanik, the route and distance seem reasonable to me. Mid July is a good time to travel this area. I can devote six weeks or more if necessary. The over Canada leg might be 1RL to PANT, 480 N miles. I run the flight on foreflight every day, and even now it is only 23 gallons and 4 hours plus, with one day in four meeting good VFR. The winds shift on about a four day schedule with fronts.

1RL doesn't seem to have fuel but anyway is so close to Canada that I would have to orbit awhile just to open the flight plan and give >5 minutes warning to ARTCC. I would land in PANT if a headwind ran me down to 3Gal of fuel or so but it is private so I'd have to work on my mea cupla if I landed there.

The Canadien rules aren't too bad but are long and can be downloaded but I think flight following will take care of most of it. They have other frequencies for their FSS: 126.7 as well as some new ones 123.275, 123.375, 123.475, 123.55

Here is the survival kit stuff described: http://www.equipped.com/ak_cnda.htm

bug repellent is likely the most important.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim

I have met him, but don't know him him personally. The Richards family are very large ranchers on the Big Island. We are active in preparation for the Alaska trip. I have pruchased a second CTLS and my brother will be joining us in that aircraft. It may soon be time for some collective planning amonung those interested in group travel. Word has it that a group of CT's have been to Alaska as a group before. I am hoping that we can draw on that experience for this trip. I hope you will consider joining, as well as others.

Chanik, Kentuckynet any thoughts on next move?

Larry

I thought your baseline idea to attempt firm planning in the ides of March was good. Too much can change before that. I have no knowledge of any CTs going up there before. The biggest problem would be reserving lodging. It is very expensive to reserve and miss, this is high season for hunting/fishing and we will certainly have weather delays. I plan on being able to camp, but mostly improvising. In patagonia it is very common in small towns for visitors to ask around and have some locals put you up in their homes. I've slept in hangers and under the wing of my plane many times. This is sort of the aerial equivalent of hoboing and I have alot of experience with it. Mostly, I imagine there will be last minute cancelled rooms available though.

Larry,

It all depends on the season. I'll be planting corn and beans into mid-May. After that, it's fertilizing and spraying which I can hire done if necessary. Then, it's back in the field for harvest in September. There rest of the summer is making hay and repairs but I can manage the jobs or hire them out.

Is there any wild guess on the expense and how long? Do we know the jump-off point in the U.S.? And, I guess the big question is, are we sure we can overfly Canada with LSA and SP licenses or privileges?

It will be $1500 in fuel I figure. Launch is from Oak Harbor, near Seattle for me but Point Roberts or Orcas Island is also good. Anywhere from $100 per night for hotels in Ketchikan or bigger towns/cities to $600 for really nice lodges in places like Larsen Bay or Brooks. Marsh Creek Inn at Kaktovik is $185 for instance. I figure $6-7K by the time it's done

LSA is no problem. There is a form to keep in the plane that I'm sure noone would check even if you had to land, like the radio license stuff.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/publications/tp15048-menu-5859.htm

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/standards/maintenance-regsdocs-validation-2948.htm

I am less sure about getting permission for the SP license overflight. Seems they want PP with current medical

Archived