2005 & 2006 Rotax hose change

Roger Lee

Hi All,

Just a note:

We are drawing to an end for 2011. That means all the 2005 CT's should have had their engine hose change done (this should have been done last year) and the BRS parachute repack done by the end of December in two weeks.

All 2006 CT's should have their engine hose replacement done as well. (I hope you did the rubber engine mounts too?) This would have been an excellent time to have done the firewall blanket too since the engine should have been removed and you would could have had the FD rebate of $1K for the blanket. That would have helped your bottom line. If you didn't get the Rotax hoses done by the end of Dec. (for the 2006 CT's,) it was required, you're technically out of airworthy which tags your insurance too.

2012 will see the 2007 CT's doing hose change and the 2006 CT's getting the BRS re-pack done.

Don't worry that we are the only SLSA required to do hose change because most all the SLSA aircraft Mfg's say to follow the rotax manual. That locked them in, even if they don't know it. We on this forum seem to be better informed and better communicators than most.

You all Have a Merry Christmas and a good New Year. biggrin.gif

Go out of your way to "Pay a favor or kind act forward" or start a pay forward on your own and ask the next person to do the same. wink.gif

Everything starts with one small first step, Maybe someday we can all run. wink.gif

Drive and Fly safe.

Roger Lee

Tucson, AZ

Hi Roger,

Thanks for doing an excellent job of keeping us all informed on these requirements! Does the five year deadline come at the anniversary date of manufacture, registration date, purchase date or when the annual is due?

Hi Tip,

It is when the plane was put in service which is when most of us bought them or shortly around that time period. So if your plane was Mfg in July 06 (as seen on the ID plate) and it was given it's airworthy cert. in Sept. 06 (printed on your airworthy cert) then it is due by Sept. 2011. Many have had their annual and 100 hr. inspection dates changed over the years to save on doubling up on inspections (nothing wrong with that), but the Sept. date in the example would be the one to go by.

Roger, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family! Thank-you for taking your precious time to answer a newbie's endless questions. I scan the web-site daily to learn as much as I can and enjoy your post's very much. Thank-you for all you do. I look forward to 2012 and I will be at the sport expo in January. I also look forward to meeting you in

person. See you soon! Ron Cassero Sonoma Jet Center, Santa Rosa California. :)

Hi Roger, just saw your Christmas greetings and suggestion to "pay forward" with kindness. Always a good rule to live by. Back to you and all forum members with Season greetings - hope everyone has a great 2012. My thanks also to all who contribute to this forum with expert advice and information which keeps us safe and keeps our little airplanes properly maintained.

Our five year rubber replacement is coming up and I'm discussing this process with my A&P. Does anyone have a basic list on the sequence and best disconnection points for removing the engine? For example, the best place to disconnect throttle and choke cables, other firewall connections, etc. I want to make this process as efficient as possible for the mechanic.

Roger K.

The technical answer is it was due and should have been done at this year's annual. But if it was me I would just fly it and get it done as soon as you can. Most people don't know a ferry permit is as much an inspection as an annual. Just get it done asap.

This is why no one should wait until the end. Somethings are just better getting done a little early just so you don't have to worry or get in a pinch towards the end. Don't wait to do the 2006 CT chutes this year until the end.

Is there a recent and up-to-date list of parts for the hose replacement or does the older list still apply? I'm wondering if there is a U.S. hose that can be used instead of the European 17mm radiator hose. Believe that the 17mm hose has a (CPS which is now Aircraft Spruce) part No. 922-250. I've done the replacement but I'm trying to help some others out who haven't done the replacement yet.

That 17MM hose is hard to come by and I haven't found it in the US, but I just ordered a sample from another supplier (over seas) for a lot less. It should be here tomorrow or Saturday. I'll let you know. Of all the hose that 17MM is scarce. In Europe they just use it for heater hose. After the holidays I may have another source still, but I won't know until then.

Make sure you don't use the 5/16" fuel injection hose because trying to get it over fittings is an act of God. Just use the carburetor fuel or fuel vapor hose. The fuel injection hose of 5/16" is to stiff and won't give on the end to get it on a the CT fittings on the fuel shut off, fuel filter or the fittings on the top of the gascolator.

Archived