EGT readout problem

flyerg1000

The D180 EGT left bank indicator would first go from normal to high and then low and back to normal

for some 15 minutes or so. The left bank has now deteriorated to high almost all of the time after take off.

I have inspected the EGT clamps and probes and tried to follow the wiring path but both sides disappear

in to a wiring loom. Does anyone have any experience in how to trouble shoot this problem or where these

probes connect to plugs without having to cut open looms etc?

The right EGT bank indicator is steady, normal read out.

CHT reads also normal.

Any ideas?

Niels

FD CTLS

post-520-0-74108100-1324469768_thumb.jpg

post-520-0-32662300-1324469798_thumb.jpg

Hi Niels,

To see if that probe is even good try switching the wires from the right to left in the engine compartment. If it then reads okay then you know it's just a bad connection. If it is still bad replace the probe. This can all be done on the ground and shouldn't take very long. The probes are around $30

Hi Niels,

You have a connection between left EGT probe wires [metal shield] and Dynon EMS120 wires right on the top of the engine, for the right EGT this connection is in cabin, under the mushroom.

The left connection [top of the engine] is somewhat hidden, under the other stuff [wires and fuel tubes to the fuel pump if I remember right, Roger please correct me if I'm wrong], but if you cut some tie straps is clearly visible. Check that connection and especially cables to connectors there [very sensitive]. If no change, replace the probe, 10-01844 0.25-1.25" at aircraftspruce.

I have had the same problem [CTLS 400hTT] with same symptoms, and after some false thoughts that is about a connection and some work on this for few times, at the end I have changed the probe. 30min to work on this and everything is fine now - was better to start with this from the begining [less time consuming]. Btw, the old/bad probe looks fine...

Regards,

Alec

PS

sorry for my english :blush:

Hi Niels,

To see if that probe is even good try switching the wires from the right to left in the engine compartment. If it then reads okay then you know it's just a bad connection. If it is still bad replace the probe. This can all be done on the ground and shouldn't take very long. The probes are around $30

Thank you for your reply, Roger.

Further to my earlier posting. Please confirm that the wiring of both probes go the the centre of the Rotax engine and connect from there via plug to the Dynon?

Can you point out which EGT probe is the left or right one respectively? See pictures now attached to the original post, with battery on one side, presumably the right side looking from the cabin.

Niels

Hi Niels,

You have a connection between left EGT probe wires [metal shield] and Dynon EMS120 wires right on the top of the engine, for the right EGT this connection is in cabin, under the mushroom.

The left connection [top of the engine] is somewhat hidden, under the other stuff [wires and fuel tubes to the fuel pump if I remember right, Roger please correct me if I'm wrong], but if you cut some tie straps is clearly visible. Check that connection and especially cables to connectors there [very sensitive]. If no change, replace the probe, 10-01844 0.25-1.25" at aircraftspruce.

I have had the same problem [CTLS 400hTT] with same symptoms, and after some false thoughts that is about a connection and some work on this for few times, at the end I have changed the probe. 30min to work on this and everything is fine now - was better to start with this from the begining [less time consuming]. Btw, the old/bad probe looks fine...

Regards,

Alec

PS

sorry for my english :blush:

Hello Alec,

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply. Seems you have been through exactly the same problem. I will take your advice and change the EGT Probe, it will save a lot of messing around, once I find out which is the left bank probe.

See my reply to Roger. You have all been very helpful!

Kind regards,

Niels

• 6 months later...

Plane side reference is always the way the plane faces forward. So if you look the same direction as the plane the plane's left side is the pilot side and the right is the passenger side.

As an adjunct to my original post and replacement of EGT probe: 20 Hrs after replacing the left probe, the right EGT probe went south as well (unserviceable u/s) fortunately I had purchased a spare at the same time.

Niels

Archived