2012 Iowa CT Fly-In

Jim Meade

Jim,

I don't think so. Grass should be no problem in the summer up there. I would really prefer grass as long as it is not soft. No CT would be allowed to fly into that Antique thing. I believe. You have to be a member and have an antique if what I have heard is true.

Larry

Jim,

I don't think so. Grass should be no problem in the summer up there. I would really prefer grass as long as it is not soft. No CT would be allowed to fly into that Antique thing. I believe. You have to be a member and have an antique if what I have heard is true.

Larry

You do have to be a member, but I think non-antique airplanes are allowed to park on the otherside of the runway.

Hello Again, Jim.

A CT fly-in in Iowa sounds great. Jan and I will certainly try to come down. My personal suggestion is to do this either in early June or mid-September. Having been in central Iowa in the middle of the summer I remember that the air was so hot and moisture-laden it was difficult to breathe.

We'll come either way, but it would be a lot more comfortable to avoid the height-of-summer heat and humidity.

Ron,

We'd sure love to have you down. Audubon county looks like it's up where the hoot owls chase the chickens. I've spend a few mosquito laden days in Cp Ripley, but never as far up as you are. Who does your maintenance? What I don't do myself I do with Kent Johnson at Stanton.

I would like to see an Iowa fly-in. There are three CTs in Ankeny KIKV and I believe we would want to participate schedules permitting. There are alot of posible venues e.g. Okoboji (a clear water lake), Ankeny, Newton Racetrack, and others. Cant wait to hear about others ideas and plans.

I was just at the Greenfield GFZ Iowa Aviation Museum which is a little west of Des Moines. Ankeny also has a little museum, I understand. Both are on hard surfaced airports and are close to the center of the state. We have a vote for Blakesburg. Are there other good candidates for a location?

What do you want to do at the meeting? Some kind of presentation or just have a good time chatting? The FSDO is at Ankeny so maybe we could get them to visit with us (or not!) :)

We'd obviously have to avoid Oshkosh. :) which means we also more-or-less avoid RAGBRAI (if you're not a cyclist or Iowan you may not be aware of it) because their dates often overlap. I have a commitment the 3rd Sunday of July.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAGBRAI

• 2 weeks later...

I count 47 FD in Iowa and the contiguous states plus Kansas (Missouri excepted).

In the next few days, I am going to send a postcard to each address that appears valid. I'll invite them to get in touch with me and we'll see what comes up. I'm hoping we can get maybe 10 FD to show up. Other LSA or anyone interested in LSA are also welcome.

Depending on the response, I'll talk this over with some people and see what might be a good location. Might be centrally located, maybe a good attraction nearby, etc.

My thinking is to gather in the summer when the days are long. Maybe around 1100 to 1400 or so. Give people plenty of time to travel in daylight.

At this stage I don't have a program in mind except food. Maybe a museum or something. I'm thinking avoid a commercial theme. Dealers of course more than welcome but this is not to be a sales event. A couple of ideas at this stage are Greenfield southwest of Des Moines, Iowa Aviation Museum; Ankeny which is just northeast of Des Moines and has an aviation musuem, Iowa City in east-central Iowa perhaps at the time of it's Fly-In. Other locations subject to attendees interests.

Ron,

We'd sure love to have you down. Audubon county looks like it's up where the hoot owls chase the chickens. I've spend a few mosquito laden days in Cp Ripley, but never as far up as you are. Who does your maintenance? What I don't do myself I do with Kent Johnson at Stanton.

Hi Jim,

Same here, I do what little I can and fly down to Stanton for the rest. Even being slightly over a two hour flight, it's worth it to have people who really understand the airframe and engine. Regarding our area, we not only have owls, we also have bears, wolves, and mountain lions. And, the eagles are bad about snatching up small dogs. What is surprising to me is the large bird traffic in summer over the lakes up to about 1500msl. In additon to ducks, geese, and eagles, we have swans that can weigh over 40 pounds. Summer low-level flying is definitely see-and-avoid.

• 2 months later...

I count 47 FD in Iowa and the contiguous states plus Kansas (Missouri excepted).

In the next few days, I am going to send a postcard to each address that appears valid. I'll invite them to get in touch with me and we'll see what comes up. I'm hoping we can get maybe 10 FD to show up. Other LSA or anyone interested in LSA are also welcome.

Depending on the response, I'll talk this over with some people and see what might be a good location. Might be centrally located, maybe a good attraction nearby, etc.

My thinking is to gather in the summer when the days are long. Maybe around 1100 to 1400 or so. Give people plenty of time to travel in daylight.

At this stage I don't have a program in mind except food. Maybe a museum or something. I'm thinking avoid a commercial theme. Dealers of course more than welcome but this is not to be a sales event. A couple of ideas at this stage are Greenfield southwest of Des Moines, Iowa Aviation Museum; Ankeny which is just northeast of Des Moines and has an aviation musuem, Iowa City in east-central Iowa perhaps at the time of it's Fly-In. Other locations subject to attendees interests.

Jim,

Haven't heard anything more on the Iowa fly-in. Do you have a firm date or did this fall through?

Ron

I have not done anything for over a month on this idea.  I asked at Ankeny (NE of Des Moines) and Greenfield (SW of Des Moines).  Both would love to host a fly-in.  I guess I need to make some decisions and put out the word.  I've been busy farming, but that is no big excuse.

Let me see about getting something going.

The 3rd week of July is off limits for me, as is Oshkosh for all of us. If any of you know of dates that would be best to avoid, let me know.

I'm thinking of something in the middle of the state, something with some kind of attraction to see, probably get together around 1000 or 1100 to about 1400-1500 so most people have the time to get there and get back the same day.

I have not done anything for over a month on this idea. I asked at Ankeny (NE of Des Moines) and Greenfield (SW of Des Moines). Both would love to host a fly-in. I guess I need to make some decisions and put out the word. I've been busy farming, but that is no big excuse.

Let me see about getting something going.

The 3rd week of July is off limits for me, as is Oshkosh for all of us. If any of you know of dates that would be best to avoid, let me know.

I'm thinking of something in the middle of the state, something with some kind of attraction to see, probably get together around 1000 or 1100 to about 1400-1500 so most people have the time to get there and get back the same day.

I understand completely. I'm the head of flight safety for our upcoming fly-in at Detroit Lakes on July 14th and will be busy until after OSH. Since you are planting it's perfectly understandable you don't have time for this right now.

(Just remember: first things first, just not necessarily in that order.)

Wife and I are flying out to IA in mid-June (13-23)for her Grandmother's memorial service and visit family.

Here are a couple of other airports you might want to think about:

3Y3 Wintersette 17 miles on the 248 radial DSM big sky diving operation John Wayne's place of birth

PRO Perry 33 miles on the 309 radial DSM pretty good size, corporate jets/turbos make up the majority, grass crosswind r/w primary is paved, big ramp area super nice historical hotel in town

BNW Boone 38 miles on the 339 radial DSM super great FBO, and they have MOGAS

We will be at 3Y3 since we have family in Wintersette and the service is in Adel (due west of Des Moines

• 3 months later...

Archived