Cracked Stab Bracket

Here is an FYI,

This was found during a pre-flight.

Make sure you do a good pre-flight. I have never heard of this before and neither has any of the other mechanics I know that work on a lot of CT's. So this is something rare, but evidently can happen. What caused it I don't know for sure, the possible causes could be pushing the plane against the stab and over stressing it or having a loose stab pivot pin and setting up some serious vibration, maybe leaving it out and corrosion got to it.. I don't know for sure.

If you have never had your mechanic pull the stab and re-torque the stab pivot pin to 200 in/lbs then it is about a 85%-90% chance it is loose due to wear and the plastic relaxing over time since new. The nuts won't have moved.

Don't ever use the stab to push the plane back. Push on the fin and tail solid area at the base of the fin.

Composite planes aren't really designed to sit outside on the ramp unprotected 24/7. The weather will absolutely take its toll on the skin, lights and the Neuform prop..

Cracked stab bracket.pdf

Cracked stab bracket 1.pdf

• 1 month later...

While trying to move all the post in this thread to the General Maint. section I have accidentally deleted the accompanying post. I will try to restore these, but as yet I have not been able to accomplish this task.

Sorry,

Admin 2

Posting, again, the item that Mr. Lee has misplaced earlier today...

This now makes 3 cracked stabs that we know of.

I can confirm that FD will ONLY accept a replacement. This is understandable, for various reasons.

FD-USA had one in stock. Next parts shippment to arrive late May or June, 2012

I'm led to believe that the 'new' stab monting part will be 'beefed' up. (Is there a story here?)

I guess our replacement is from the old stock.

Cracked StabN542LL.pdf

In a reply to this thread in the other section, I commented that repair of this bracket, if done following a repair precedure issued by FD, would be a similar repair to the stabilator reinforcement which FD authorized for CTSW. The crack could be welded by a certified welder per directions issued by FD and documentation and pictures of the repair could be sent back to FD for their records. If directed by FD, there could be added reinforcement done which would result in the repaired bracket being stronger than the original factory part. This area is easily monitored to insure that there are no structural issues after the repair. The other option would be for FD to assist the owner in repairing this by perhaps supplying parts.

Dick --

I understand and follow your thoughts. I've similar feelings. However, I truly understand FD's position. Both from a legal view, as well as a manufactuers control of product.

FYI -- A longtime associate, and certified welder and pilot, agrees with FD on this one. He gave several good reasons, believe me...

For reasons like this, I'm glad I received the training to do detailed inspections. Every Monday all the parts come off, and a 1-2hr visual (with flashlight) takes place. Just the way I was schooled. And like Mr. Lee indicated: Put this one on your daily list...

Thanks to all of you that sent 'back-door' communications.

Hi Tony. Good info regarding certified welder's thoughts on this. No way for FD to adequately control quality of a weld/repair in the field so I do understand FD's position from the liability standpoint. If increasing numbers of CTSW bracket cracking is observed as the CTSW fleet ages, it will become evident that many, if not all, of the brackets will eventually need replacement. If so, I would hope that FD will consider providing parts "at cost" to help owners.

I did a super duper inspection of the stab bracket...no rips, runs or snags. 670hs TTAF. I did have to remove the pitch and roll serrvo's along with the brain to tru-trak for updates and repairs. The system never has been spot on. You never knew what was going to happen when engaged. Lucas was at Sun-n-Fun said take it all out and send it in for immediate repair! Love those guys at TT!

Hi Mike. I have had my TT re-conditioned by the factory and it came back in beautiful updated condition with new internals and blue display. This is truely a quality organization and they make top quality technical equipment. After re-installing it, I had to go up in calm air a few times and had to reread the manual a few times to get the A/P react to my CT the way I would like. It now seems to work well in all conditions. In regards to the default internal magnetic part of the A/P, I had not messed with this but the other day decided to make sure this was correctly calibrated. Just as the manual indicated would occur when one starts the calibration process, the A/P took over control of my CT, first it turned my CT North, then East, then South, then past West to N. West, then back to West and when done, said the calibration was completed. All this while I sat with my hands off the controls and watched it do it's work. Amazing instrument. When I used to ask my electronic genius father-in-law how stuff like this worked, he used to tell me, "JFM"!

Hi Mike. I have had my TT re-conditioned by the factory and it came back in beautiful updated condition with new internals and blue display. This is truely a quality organization and they make top quality technical equipment. After re-installing it, I had to go up in calm air a few times and had to reread the manual a few times to get the A/P react to my CT the way I would like. It now seems to work well in all conditions. In regards to the default internal magnetic part of the A/P, I had not messed with this but the other day decided to make sure this was correctly calibrated. Just as the manual indicated would occur when one starts the calibration process, the A/P took over control of my CT, first it turned my CT North, then East, then South, then past West to N. West, then back to West and when done, said the calibration was completed. All this while I sat with my hands off the controls and watched it do it's work. Amazing instrument. When I used to ask my electronic genius father-in-law how stuff like this worked, he used to tell me, "JFM"!

Thanks for the heads up. I may call ya and get additional pointers if needed. Thanks Dick!

Archived