Brake bleeding and reservoir catch

Here is the easy way to catch the over flow from a brake bleeding. Use a water bottle. Tape a piece of hose in the mouth and slide the hose end over the brake reservoir nipple. It will just hang by itself. You can use the small bug sprayer from Ace Hardware and make sure to pump at the low point brake bleed nipple on the bottom of the caliper.

Brake flush pump and attachment point.pdf

brake flush over flow bottle.pdf

Hi Mike,

How are things going across the pond and how's the weather been? Are you getting in the air often? When are you going to come visit us?

Bleeding brakes from the bottom up is the normal way to flush the air out. This is an open system so long as you don't activate the parking brake or the brake lever so you can't hurt anything in our brakes. There are no restrictions and the pressure is low. It is the MFG recommended way to bleed these brakes. If you try to bleed any other way you can not get the air out. They actual make expensive brake bleed systems for doing it the same way ($200+). The one in the picture is just a cheap ($10) and an easy way around the expensive system for the individual user.

You can use the small bug sprayer from Ace Hardware and make sure to pump at the low point brake bleed nipple on the bottom of the caliper.

Hmmm...

...that looks vaguely familiar:

6947199023_b57a6f1bf9_z.jpg

I was spraying cold TKS fluid onto frost/frozen dew. It was having zero effect, BTW.

Hi Roger

Things ok over here apart from the economy being a bit rough :>) and petrol being £2.40 ltr , weather is the usual lots of rain /wind at this time of year i get to fly my ctsw pretty much every weekend and sometimes during the week if i can plan my work round the weather i would love to come over to visit and maybe do some flying , you have some fantastic views over there looking at some of the photos on here but getting time off from my garage being self employed is very hard ....

Cheers Mike

Hi Mike,

How are things going across the pond and how's the weather been? Are you getting in the air often? When are you going to come visit us?

• 1 year later...

Wondering if anyone can give me a procedure for a flush of the Italian brakes? (btw, I have been very happy with these brakes... 10 years of functioning service, up to today when I made the mistake of monkeying with a perfectly functioning system... grin) I can cobble together the pressure sprayer and overflow bottle easy enough, wondering if there are steps with the brake lever/master cyclinder that have to be considered. thanks, mike

You bleed the brakes on the Marc and Matco brakes the same way. Nothing to be done with the master cyl. As the fluid flows freely through it to remove any air. Read some of the previous post. Your welcome to call me if you have any additional questions.

I recently had one of my Marc Ignego brakes apart to see why it was dragging. Will start a thread on my experience soon.

When it was time to put the fluid back in, all I had handy was a medium syringe. Stuck some vinyl hose on the end and filled with fluid and fed it in through the bleeder valve. Took maybe 10 syringes until I saw some fluid in the reservoir (closing the valve between each, of course), then topped the reservoir off directly.

I bought a "plunger" type oil can on sale from Ace that I plan on using next time.

Hi Eddie,

The oil can approach is slow enough that sometimes its hard to get all the air out and it gives you muscle bound fingers from squeezing so much. :) I tried the oil can method many years ago. It's just barbaric.

Try the Ace air pump as pictured in the first post. It makes life easy, flushes air out because of the swift filling and flushing action, its fast, it's cheap to buy and you won't have one hand with muscle bound fingers. :)

If you slow fill the brake lines and master cyl. Some times air stays trapped. Do it with a lot of moving volume and speed and all the air gets swept away.

Grin. Don't knock it until you've tried it. Seems that you can only flush the system so fast............ The ten bucks I saved bought me a nice spiceyThai noodle bowl at the Mana Mana food truck, just off the airport! A most satisfying fix, and I owe it all to you guys!.

Archived